PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Loud Noises

NV300ex
07-21-2008, 03:40 PM
my friend has a 95 yamaha warrior. he thought it had oil but found out it had little oil on the stick when he heard theres loud clanking sounds in all gears even neutral. he said it sounds like an old car with noisy lifters... hes knew to his atv and was wondering if anybody knew what is wrong so he can fix it. does it have hydraulic or solid lifters?
is the timing off?
or the adjustments on the lifters off?

NV300ex
07-21-2008, 03:47 PM
forgot, he added oil n yet it still does the loud clack sound.
does a warrior have a oil pump or how does it get the oil up to the lifters?

54warrior
07-22-2008, 11:07 AM
The Warrior engine is an Single Over Head Cam(SOHC) Design. There are no lifters. The crankshaft drives a timing chain which in turn drives the camshaft. The camshaft lobes are in contact w/ the rocker arms which in turn open/close the intake and exhaust valves.

I'd start by checking your valve clearances. Did you just add oil or did you drain it (to look for chunks) and then refill?

NV300ex
07-22-2008, 05:41 PM
yeh he just added oil without checkin to see if there was anything in the oil..hes wondering what the noise could be.. u have any idea if it maybe the (if it has one) timin chain guide that might had busted inside.. ? i told him to check his oil n if theres nothing in it.. then must be the valves clearenced.

racers
08-03-2008, 06:59 PM
The low oil situation has most likely already ruined the cam the rockers and the rocker pins and maybe even the head casting it self . There is a little hole in the back of the head (10mm wrench size) with a single bolt in it , loosen this bolt and see if oil comes running out . If yes the oil pump is working .This is the oil port for the cam lubrication . Deep Inside the hole is a teeny tiny hole for the oil to go into the cam area. this hole plugs up and ruins the cylinder head and all it's parts I've fixed dozens of these things .usually buy having to rebuild or replace the entire cylinder head assembly ....................................OR maybe you just need to adjust the rockers .

NV300ex
08-04-2008, 01:45 PM
ok he took it apart.. there was a nut that came out. intake exaust adjustment lock nut so he went to yamaha place, got a new nut, put it back in. adjust the valves n timing and all of that.. drained oil n put in fresh oil n filter n its purrin like a cat now... but he knows now to check oil more often.

hypersnyper6947
08-15-2008, 03:21 AM
WOW that was a close one