PDA

View Full Version : DRX90 Limited...

jarsong
07-21-2008, 09:38 AM
This machine is awesome. Bought a few months ago from NW Mini and have run a few 5 gallon buckets of fuel through it now. Mostly trail and pit type riding. All I can say is wow! Way more bike than I ever expected for the price. My little guy finally feels like the big boys now when pitching it sideways and ripping on it. Very safe unit even with the amazing power it has because of the width and suspension that actually WORKS... Just though some would want to know that are sitting on the fence thinking about buying. Anything you buy in the retail stores from the BIG manufactures will be a TURD compared this machine. ONly thing I don't like is the clutch set up. It was supposed to be changed to engage at 1800 rpm or what ever and it's set up to engage at something way above that...
jarsong

desmo888
07-26-2008, 07:35 PM
That's me, on the fence.

My son rides an '06 TRX90 and he has the thing at full throttle all the time. He needs some more power.

I like the DRX90 but I have always bought Honda for quads and dirt bikes. I just love the rock solid reliability and durability. The problem is it takes too much $ to make and fast and handle the bumps.

Most conversations on the DRX's are with regard to racing. What's good for a race quad is not necessarily good for a play quad. My son just rides for fun. I need a quad that can fly and putt-putt at times. Will the LC DRX90 fit the bill?

I already know where I will buy one if I decide to get one. I just need to figure out if I am making the right move. The TRX90 is a great machine, just slow.

Dave
pondering in PA
'06 TRX90
'07 CRF70
'01 400EX
'96 M900 (quack)

FISH ON!
07-26-2008, 08:29 PM
The DRX90 is a great quad but it may be more maintenance than your looking for if you're just trail riding and beating around the yard. If your child is big enough, I'd go with the Raptor 250. Hands down the best buy for the money for an experienced youth rider. You won't need to add anything to make it a great machine for what you want. If you have deep pockets, that TRX90 can go much faster.

Todd

bulldogfallon
07-26-2008, 08:36 PM
How old is your son again?

This will help a lot with the decision..

There really is a huge gap when it comes to steps in ATVs.

Honda makes great machine (I am a Honda man myself-Owned many-never disappointed).

Dollar for dollar it is hard to beat a DRR and the support network that it comes with.

But the Raptor 250 is a nice machine from what I hear...but that would also be around $4K and require an older/larger rider.

I think Suzuki may come out with a 250 at some point....I bet that will be a nice machine....Just not sure when to expect it to be launched.

desmo888
07-26-2008, 08:50 PM
7 years old - 60 lbs.

Just a little guy yet. No 250 yet. The TRX90 size is perfect, just not fast enough.

I am just wondering about the hop-on-and-ride of the DRX. I can certainly change plugs but don't want to have to do it every other ride.

I can tear down almost any engine, I just don't feel like working on a toy.

Hi Gary ;-)

bulldogfallon
07-26-2008, 08:57 PM
Then you are on the right path with the DRR...

Have you explored the idea of just pepping the Honda up a little?

I am sure there are plenty of parts available.

Black, Blue, Orange, Red, White, Yellow are the colors in stock.

Took the day off (got some good advice) and took the family to the zoo and didn't touch a 4 wheeler until about 3:00PM)

Sorry I didn't get back to you with the colors sooner.

desmo888
07-26-2008, 09:05 PM
No problem Gary! I was just pestering you with questions while I had you online last night. I had to laugh when you said you dozed off.

The boy was riding today and just had the thing pegged again. All his buddies (granted on bikes) were leaving him in the dust.

Sorry man, I research the sh*t out of everything. I have a Honda van pulling Honda off-road vehicles. All boring but dead reliable.

Daily I drive a twin turbo Audi S4 and a Ducati Monster so I like to go fast too!

:ermm: :ermm:

Dave

desmo888
07-26-2008, 09:08 PM
Oh, I did explore giving the Honda more poop but it seems like a slippery and expensive slope.

What is the sense of going fast if you don't have the suspension to handle it? I can get the suspension under the TRX but I will be into the thing tough ($).

p.s. Good advice was well meaning - good for you with the zoo trip

desmo888
07-26-2008, 09:19 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by FISH ON!
The DRX90 is a great quad but it may be more maintenance than your looking for if you're just trail riding and beating around the yard. If your child is big enough, I'd go with the Raptor 250. Hands down the best buy for the money for an experienced youth rider. You won't need to add anything to make it a great machine for what you want. If you have deep pockets, that TRX90 can go much faster.

Todd [/QUOTE

Thanks for your reply. What kind of maintenance? My boy is too small for a bigger machine.

Dave

brainwashed
07-27-2008, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by desmo888
7 years old - 60 lbs.

Just a little guy yet. No 250 yet. The TRX90 size is perfect, just not fast enough.

I am just wondering about the hop-on-and-ride of the DRX. I can certainly change plugs but don't want to have to do it every other ride.

I can tear down almost any engine, I just don't feel like working on a toy.

Hi Gary ;-)

I hear you on being hesitant to buy a brand that your not familiar with. I was VERY wary of buying the DRR but eventually caved when a local dealership let my son ride one and he fell in love with it. The quads are simply amazing for the kids and I'm pretty surprised how easy they are to work on. We have had some issues that had to be ironed out, but now that I'm more familiar with the DRR I know what to watch out for and they aren't major issues.

They are a little more maintenance but nothing too intense for us so far. We use ours as a dunes bike mainly, it hasn't been ridden on dirt yet now that I think of it and it flat rips. It's the envy of all the kids at the dunes when we are there and we are stopped constantly when riding. I carry our dealers business cards with me when riding as it's easier to hand out than tell them where to go for more info and Extreme Mini Quads NW are good folks too so I'm happy to send them more customers if I can.

Having Bulldofallon (Gary) and the large DRR owner base here as a resource is invaluable in my opinion and I recommend him highly if your in his neck of the woods.

Has your son ridden a DRR yet? That might be the deciding factor.

desmo888
07-27-2008, 10:49 AM
Thanks for your post. I have no local dealers so I am basing my decision on phone calls and internet research.

Your post was quite useful as it sounds like you use it as a play quad, not racing. That will be my use.

Also, you said it 'rips'. That what my boy needs. He's ready to rip.

I am going to try and make it to a local track today to see some in the flesh. That should seal the deal.

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Dave

brainwashed
07-27-2008, 10:53 AM
When I say that it rips, I mean that he actually dunes with the adults and keeps up with us just fine. It's a pretty amazing little bike.

When he is tapped out on the beach I am in 3rd gear 1/2 throttle or so to pace him. His cousins TRX90 can't even come close to this bike performance.

At the track, the TRX90's really struggle to compete with the DRR's. Most of the TRX's are lapped or nearly lapped at the end of the race.

We bought the bike with the intent to race it but find that we are busy with church and other sports enough to only use it for duneing. I also thought that we would be taking it on the trails alot but we haven't done that once yet. Maybe we will more towards the end of the summer.

Edit:

Something to think about too is that the DRR is far wider than a TRX and has much better suspension out of the box. This makes it much more comfortable at speed compared to the Honda or Yamaha kids quads.

desmo888
07-27-2008, 03:39 PM
Great info - thanks. 'Duneing' sounds like a blast! No sand here in PA.

I just got back from the local track and sure enough - DRR's everywhere.

I have to get his TRX and CRF sold and I think I will be picking up a LC DRX90.

Dave

diablo14
07-27-2008, 04:01 PM
i have a drx 50 and it out runs my stock trx90 . drr is the way to go you will have a couple grand in the 90 to get it up to par and still have crap for suspension. the suspension on my 50 i better then anything i have ever seen on a quad of this size by the big manufacturers. A+ for the drr

rmuscle
07-27-2008, 05:37 PM
def go with drr, both my sons had suzuki s and i sold them because they are just getting in to racing , and bought them drr s. before i sold my older sons 90 my younger son was beating him around the yard with his drr 50. cotact gary from g force , cant say enough about this guy , he truly gives you the service you would never find at a local shop,

brainwashed
07-27-2008, 08:33 PM
I second Gary. If you don't have a local shop DEFIANTELY work with Gary. Hell, even if you do have a local shop I'd go with Gary. :)

mcwilly
07-28-2008, 07:29 AM
I've got both ('07 TRX 90EX and '08 LC DRR 50) currently. We bought the Honda originally for him to play and race on. We just recently purchased the DRR through Gary.....If I had to do it over again, I would've skipped getting the EX and gone straight to the DRR. Night and day difference.

bulldogfallon
07-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Thanks guys!!

Who do I make the checks out to?

First post gets the most and then I pro rate each additional post!! :) :) :)

I have a lot of help along the way....Marc from Hot Quads sure does his part along with my builder Matt Bost.

Thanks guys....it sure is nice to know the hard work means something...

Reimer Racing
07-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Hey Dave were you at Maple Shade Mx last Sunday?

LT-R450Kehoe
08-03-2008, 08:22 PM
I have to give props out to Gary as well.

My son races but he also uses it to play on too. He has taken it trail riding and ironically this is his 4th atv. He just turned 9 the beginning of July and weighs a meer 60 lbs. but this is the only ATV he has not flipped or wrecked in any way.

He use to flat rip on a predator and when we bought the DRR he was quite timid but in no time his lap times far surpassed that of the Predator and good god is this machine easy to work on.

As far as maintenance goes... I don't know that this machine requires any more maintenance than any other predator, trx, etc. but #1 a child will tend to ride the DRR harder because it really breeds confidence, therefore parts may wear out a lil faster and #2 when you spend the $ on a white machine with blue frame that looks as sweet as the DRR you kinda wanna keep it lookin' SWEET!!! So you tend to take better care of it than say your typical 2008 white Polaris Outlaw with plain black frame.

As far as manufacturer support goes.... DRR is light years ahead of any other mini & even big quad manufacturer. When you can contact your dealer on his cellphone on a Sunday night... leave a message, have him text you back that he got your message and he is hookin' you up... well that just goes to show that DRR cares about their customers and their products. Trust me if I called Suzuki to have a part shipped to me... they would tell me what I could go pound and then tell me to stand in it.

LT-R450Kehoe
08-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Oh yeah by the way Gary... make the check out in my wife's name.... haha

desmo888
08-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Please note: call DRRNation not necessarily DRR. Yes, DRR provides great product support but its through the dedicated dealers. Gary is second to none. He's the man texting you and emailing you back in minutes.
Gary has put up with my endless questions over the last two weeks. I am buying a DRX90 from him as soon as I sell my boy's TRX.
No racing here but play riding is fun too. Who knows, a couple more trips to Sleepy Hollow (local track) will have him in the racing mix.
Anyway, Gary is the man. Truly dedicated to customer service and getting your son/daughter on a quad.

Cheers,
Dave
south-central PA

p.s. I put drrnation on my 'About Me' page on Ebay. ttcycles91

Andyman17dad
08-04-2008, 05:03 AM
Nobody puts more dedication into this sport than Gary Fallon!!! Thanks for putting up with all up us up here in the northeast!!!!

(I'm sure that UPS and FedEx will agree as well!;) )

rmuscle
08-04-2008, 05:24 AM
yea sometimes a feel bad calling him , i dont want to be a pain