PDA

View Full Version : spark plug boot question

wdavidiotr2
07-21-2008, 07:42 AM
my friend has a 2004 yamaha wolverine 350. (atleast i think it's an 04, he inherited it from his dad and w can't find paperwork or anything but i think it's an 04)

the other day it just started idling rough all of a sudden. so i let it cool down. i went to check the plug and it was broken in half. the porcelain snapped i guess.

but i got a new plug for it, and changed it out. well, part of the old plug was still in the boot. when i pulled it out with needle nose pliers, it pulled out the plug piece, a little copper/brass fitting, a fuse or resistor of some type, and a spring.

well, i tried putting it all back together but the threading on the inside of the boot is stripped and the copper/brass fitting would just push out with that spring pushing on it.

if i do put it all together it'll start and idle but it's a little bit rough and it won't rev up at all without making a really bad knocking sound.

anyway, i guess my question is, what is inside the spark plug boot, and does it sound like the boot is the cause of the non-revving without the knock?