PDA

View Full Version : New to sport. pics and questions

JJ400EX
07-20-2008, 07:31 PM
So ive wanted a quad since as long as i can remember. I always begged my parents for one as a kid but we couldnt afford it. So now im 20 and i finally got a decent job so i finally got one. Originally i was looking at Grizzly's, then i spotted this one for sale right near my house so i took a look and think its the perfect starter quad. Its an 02 400ex with racing cam, edelbrock carb, k and n air filter, white bros exhaust, dg nerf bars, skid plates, itp rims and tires, an extra pair of new itp rims and sandstar tires. I got it for 2000 even.
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/johnjj728/002.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/johnjj728/003.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/johnjj728/004.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/johnjj728/005.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/johnjj728/006.jpg

Fits perfect in the bed of this. I mean perfect, shut the tailgate and it hits the rear tires but closes, keeping the quad snug.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/johnjj728/040-1.jpg

Let me know if you think i got a good deal.

So i need to replace my steering stem and one of the tie rods is bent. I plan on ordering the tusk tie rod kit for 100.00 and I dont know if i should get an aftermarket stem or stock. I was looking at a getting either a Burgard +1 stem for 200 or a stock one for 70.00. Im 6 feet tall so i was thinking the +1 might be good for me.
Also im going to order some new DG nerf bars with the heel guards because the old ones were beat and one fell off today. I hit a railroad tie and my rear lugnuts loosened up so now im going to get some new wheels and tires. I want to get some ITP 4 spoke rims and either kenda klaws or ITP Holeshot HD tires. Is there any disadvantage to getting the HD's versus regular holeshots or kenda klaws? I want to get some new plastics with full fenders, is there anywhere to get custom colors i want some dark green ones to match my truck, if not im going to get black rear fenders and silver fronts, or vice versa. Thanks in advance, im already addicted to this hobby, haha

loves2spooge
07-20-2008, 08:19 PM
hmm. possible oil leak near the front sprocket? looks like its baked on there. check your oil frequently for a while i think.

it almost looks like the swingarm was recovered from a fire.

looks like the guy who owned it wasnt afraid to beat on it,

and was it left out in the rain all the time?

the footpegs are beat, is the frame warped or cracked in anyway? sand and paint the rust spots b4 its unfixable. try to get those plastics off and really inspect it.

jrsmith_80
07-20-2008, 08:25 PM
Just a tad bit of advice about the tusk tie rods. I ordered them 1 week ago, put them on and went for a ride. Today whiel I wash washing the quad I noticed that they had started rust pretty heavily around the threads. Just want to make you aware, I dont think that they will last as long as a decent set. I know they are cheap but I have learned many times you get what you pay for.

Hondamaster5505
07-20-2008, 08:48 PM
welcome to the site!

I believe you were talking about these rims:cool: They're also holeshot XC on back with kenda klaws up front.

JJ400EX
07-20-2008, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by loves2spooge
hmm. possible oil leak near the front sprocket? looks like its baked on there. check your oil frequently for a while i think.

the footpegs are beat, is the frame warped or cracked in anyway? sand and paint the rust spots b4 its unfixable. try to get those plastics off and really inspect it.

It used to be a race quad then it was redone to run on regular gas and sold to the guy i bought it from. The leak near the front sprocket i think was a fuel leak, if you look closely you can see the fuel filter. It had a filter because it was run on airplane gas and the gas was leaded. Nothing is really bent that i can see aside from the front right tie rod and steering stem slightly. I just got it friday but today i took the pegs and shifter off and sanded and painted them. I have a wire brush for my drill and i started sanding the frame rust, its very minor comes off easily, im gonna spray it. The swingarm and sprocket is just dirty because it wasnt washed and the chain grease caused dirt to buiild up, i cleaned it today and it looks like new. It will look like new within two weeks ill post some new pictures.

07-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
welcome to the site!

I believe you were talking about these rims:cool: They're also holeshot XC on back with kenda klaws up front.

dang them rears look huge:eek2:

Hondamaster5505
07-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by hondarider661
dang them rears look huge:eek2:

lol, must be the angle.

The rears are 20's and the fronts are 21's.

They are pretty big for 20's though. Im even running slightly lower pressure for trails.

JJ400EX
07-20-2008, 08:54 PM
welcome to the site!

Thanks, those rimes are nice i think i want those. My friend i rode with today has a banshee he just rebuilt. Its badass, it has a single carb, dual exhaust, cool head, and some other stuff, ill try to get some pictures to post em.

07-20-2008, 08:54 PM
should have got some 18s in the rear and 20's up front thats stupid having 21's and 20's:huh

Hondamaster5505
07-20-2008, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by JJ400EX
Thanks, those rimes are nice i think i want those. My friend i rode with today has a banshee he just rebuilt. Its badass, it has a single carb, dual exhaust, cool head, and some other stuff, ill try to get some pictures to post em.

banshee's are still one of my favorite quads:D I wish i had some damn money though. The engine is still on my workbench waiting to be rebuilt and assembled. I have a build thread in the banshee section. When i get to it im also milling the head .028

oh, and on a side note, pretty much all banshee's have dual exhaust unless you buy and aftermarket 2-1 pipe.:p

I like the rims. They take a pounding and come back for more. Not even a dent in them though.

Hondamaster5505
07-20-2008, 09:03 PM
should have got some 18s in the rear and 20's up front thats stupid having 21's and 20's:huh

why would i do that:huh

I dont mx. I need the extra clearance in the trails. Plus, sometimes at the coalmines, the hills have a hump in the center of them. Any less clearance and i couldnt get up them because the rear would be sittin on the skidplate.

07-20-2008, 09:08 PM
why would i do that:huh

I dont mx. I need the extra clearance in the trails. Plus, sometimes at the coalmines, the hills have a hump in the center of them. Any less clearance and i couldnt get up them because the rear would be sittin on the skidplate.

oppps , i for got that you ride in the fun stuff:rolleyes: :o

Hondamaster5505
07-20-2008, 09:16 PM
oppps , i for got that you ride in the fun stuff:rolleyes: :o

hell yeah! lol. The next time i have to buy tt tires ill get 18's.

To climb hills, you need clearance.

07-20-2008, 09:18 PM
you racing TT hahahahahhahahahh:huh :huh

Hondamaster5505
07-20-2008, 09:31 PM
you racing TT hahahahahhahahahh:huh :huh

wtf are you talking about, lol. You knew that, i told you on aim.

It's something to do on the weekends when i aint riding other places.

Im not really competitve with what im racing. Need to finish the banshee really.

01ex400
07-21-2008, 06:49 AM

Honestly, do you even know what your talking about? Never seen a dirty a-arm? What makes you think the frame is bent and how exactly would it get warped? Rain? What would that have to do with anything? Do you baby your quad? Did dad put a throttle stop in it so you can only go so fast? Also, if you ride it more than once a year, that surface rust will do no harm. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ruby Soho
07-21-2008, 12:20 PM
chill out guys.

looks like it could be a decent quad with some tlc. it seems like it has been rolled though, just go over the entire thing and replace whats needed and you should be set.. after all it is a 400ex:p

brian76708
07-21-2008, 12:27 PM

its probly just chain wax by the sprocket

brian76708
07-21-2008, 12:27 PM

its probly just chain wax by the sprocket

loves2spooge
07-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by 01ex400
Honestly, do you even know what your talking about? Never seen a dirty a-arm? What makes you think the frame is bent and how exactly would it get warped? Rain? What would that have to do with anything? Do you baby your quad? Did dad put a throttle stop in it so you can only go so fast? Also, if you ride it more than once a year, that surface rust will do no harm. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

some people actually have to work for there money, not all of us have mommy and daddy to go out and buy us everything. if you had any sense of value you would understand.

i was just making suggestions. dont be a dick.

and yes, i do take good care of my quad. your such a badass cuz u dont.

coryatver
07-21-2008, 08:18 PM
100 bucks for tie rods? and tusk is a junk brand. It is a no name brand made up by rocky mountain atv.

you can get stock tie rods for $3 bucks a piece. you don't want stronger or you will bend your steering stem or frame.

you can use zip ties to fix up that rear fender crack before it cracks more. Just drill a hole on both sides and zip it up every half inch or so.

also your footpegs are really messed up they should't be slanted like that they should be flat. I think they are on the wrong sides? 2000 wasn't a deal but it was a fair price. Have fun on your new quad man always wear a helmet don't litter or ride in illegal areas. Welcome to the quad owners club

JJ400EX
07-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the sugestions. I ordered the tusk kit because it was on rocky mountain atv and i need to replace is so i got it there because it was convenient. If they suck and bend then ill replace em, and to the guy that said something about them rusting, a little grease or oil will prevent that from happening so im not all that concerned. Yesterday i ordered the tie rods, some ITP baja beadlock wheels and razr 2 tires. And i picked up an HJC helmet, some goggles, some gloves and DG Nerf Bars with heel guards. Im going to order a steering stem when i go to pick up my nerf bars. I got 20x11x10 tires on 10 inch rims. Thats a good size right? Should i order steering bushings when i get the stem? Thanks in advance ill take some pictures tonight, i cleaned it alot and im starting to fix all the rust spots and stuff. Already zip tied up the crack.

Not trying to start problems but lovestosplooge you seemed negative about the quad off the bat. The swingarm that looked "like it was in a fire" now looks brand new, the beat up footpegs now look brand new, the shifter that was rusted looks new now. 01400ex thanks for stickin up for the quad, like you said its just dirty and was actually ridden. it looks 100 times better now, ill take some pics tonights.

Honda#4
07-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Quad looks great, all it needs is rear plastics and a good clean up.

Note: Your pegs are on the wrong way

04TRX400EX
07-22-2008, 04:45 PM
So now that the heated debate about whether or not the quad is a piece or not is finished, I think you still have some questions unanswered.

First, depending on your riding style, you may like a +1" stem. I have heard mixed reviews about Burgard - you may want to look into a more reputable brand like Houser or even Gibson.

Second, aftermarket plastics come in all sorts of colors. The big plastics brands are Maier, Fullbore, and Laker Custom. They're not cheap but can definitely set your quad apart from the rest.

Looks like with some attention and care, you'll probably have a pretty nice quad, especially for your first one. Enjoy!

loves2spooge
07-22-2008, 04:57 PM
well, i guess im the bad guy then. but the way i look at it is you have to be that way in that situation. if your buying a used quad and for example it has an oil leak, you cant be the optimistic type and just say "oh its probably just overfull and it spilled out." you kinda have to be negative and make sure its not the worst possible, like a crack in the engine case.

i wasnt pointing out saying your quads a piece of ****. if i post a picture and someone notices somthing wrong that ive overlooked, id prefer that they say "oh do somthing about that b4 it gets worse"

JJ400EX
07-22-2008, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by hondarider11
I would of gotten the 9 inch rim but did you get a full set of beadlocks? I would of gotten 9 inch rear rims with 20 inch tires and 22 inch front tires with 10 inch rims. Also Loves2spooge you are a dick man that quad just needed minor work dont be a dick man.

thanks for backin me man.

Im guessin you would have got 9's due to the taller sidewall right? Since these wheels are so strong im hopin it will eliminate any chance of the wheels bending.

Yeah i got a full set of beadlocks. But i have to wait for the front ones because they are backordered until like august 1st or something. I got the tens because i thought it would look better because the extra set of rims i have are tens and i threw em on and they looked nice.

well, i guess im the bad guy then. but the way i look at it is you have to be that way in that situation. if your buying a used quad and for example it has an oil leak, you cant be the optimistic type and just say "oh its probably just overfull and it spilled out." you kinda have to be negative and make sure its not the worst possible, like a crack in the engine case.

i wasnt pointing out saying your quads a piece of ****. if i post a picture and someone notices somthing wrong that ive overlooked, id prefer that they say "oh do somthing about that b4 it gets worse"

Your not the bad guy. I understand your just trying to help me to make sure there are no serious problems, but you just seemed negative about it in general, assuming the worst. Its a cheap quad that i know has been used and/or abused so i dont expect it to be perfect. With a little cash and some elbow grease this thing will be great. By the end of this weekend ill have some nice pictures of it mostly together aside from the front rims and probably the steering stem.

Originally posted by 04trx400ex

So now that the heated debate about whether or not the quad is a piece or not is finished, I think you still have some questions unanswered.

First, depending on your riding style, you may like a +1" stem. I have heard mixed reviews about Burgard - you may want to look into a more reputable brand like Houser or even Gibson.

Second, aftermarket plastics come in all sorts of colors. The big plastics brands are Maier, Fullbore, and Laker Custom. They're not cheap but can definitely set your quad apart from the rest.

Looks like with some attention and care, you'll probably have a pretty nice quad, especially for your first one. Enjoy!

Yeah im on the fence about the stem, i want something with that anti vibration thing on it but i dont want to pay much more than 250 for one. But on the other hand i can get a stock one and bushings and stuff for under 100 brand new and locally.

I plan on getting either the Maier ones that are like stock or the ones that use a scoop instead of headlights, im not sure yet. Either way its going to be two tone, silver front and then black gas tank cover and black rear fenders. Thanks for the encouragement.

JJ400EX
07-27-2008, 06:09 PM
So ive spent the past week doin a few things to the quad. On tuesday i get my new beadlock rims and razr 2 tires, along with my tie rod kit and steering stem. I sanded and wire brushed all the rust off and then painted the frame, footpegs and a few other odds and ends. Got my pro armor nerf bars on. Its a little dirty because i took it out today through some mud and stuff. I sprayed it down but did a crappy job. Anyways here are the updated pictures.
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/johnjj728/014.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/johnjj728/013.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/johnjj728/019-1.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/johnjj728/017-2.jpg
Before http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/johnjj728/005.jpg
after http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/johnjj728/012.jpg

Let me know what you guys think.

Hondamaster5505
07-27-2008, 08:31 PM
Looks a lot better already!

07-27-2008, 08:34 PM
good to see someone doing something different. lol

JJ400EX
07-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Do you guys think the frame painted 2 colors looks dumb or should i stick with it? I might fade it a little further back. And i think im going to paint the bumper black too.

Hondamaster5505
07-27-2008, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by JJ400EX
Do you guys think the frame painted 2 colors looks dumb or should i stick with it? I might fade it a little further back. And i think im going to paint the bumper black too.

to tell you the truth, i didnt even notice the front was black until you mentioned it right now:p

You can always to the second half red:confused:

07-27-2008, 09:03 PM
yea thats sick. it stands out. lol. i wouldent do it black i would poilsh it up and it will look new.