PDA

View Full Version : question about engine ice

jimmy7120
07-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Hey guys,

When your quad overheats and boils some of the engine ice out, do you just fill up the coolant or replace all of the coolant?

I dont know if the coolant getting that hot will ruin its cooling properties.

Thanks

07-20-2008, 07:22 PM
that doesnt seem right does it? it boiling over? I thougt Honda's were better than Yamaha because i've seen them piss out radiator fluid just doing a burnout lol

jshtex
07-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
that doesnt seem right does it? it boiling over? I thougt Honda's were better than Yamaha because i've seen them piss out radiator fluid just doing a burnout lol

Wow, thats real helpfull.... I guess to get that many posts in a year they can't all be good huh? :p

If your really "boiling over" then there has to be a problem. But to answer your question you can top it off, either with more engine ICE or with distilled water. Getting hot shouldn't hurt it, but you really need to figure out the reason for it getting hot.

07-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by jshtex
Wow, thats real helpfull.... I guess to get that many posts in a year they can't all be good huh? :p

lol i have some fun while i'm at it

jimmy7120
07-21-2008, 08:12 PM
It was during an xc race. Radiator was clogged after the tape on the front end did not hold up.

I did well compared to the guys that blew hoses and some had to stop due to their quads smoking. I dont think there is a problem with the cooling, just everything was covered in mud!
James

GPracer2500
07-21-2008, 11:04 PM
Just top off. No need to replace it all.

jshtex
07-22-2008, 06:41 AM
Yea, but if your going to top off with water make sure it is Distilled Water. The Engine ICE folks are real big on that.

jimmy7120
07-22-2008, 07:45 AM
ok, thanks for the responses