PDA

View Full Version : Won't rev- NEED HELP!!!

kennyo1
07-20-2008, 04:43 PM
I have 2005 400 ex. Curtis sparks pipe, jetted, motor is stock. I was having idle problems after letting it set up in the garage for a few months. I accidentally left the gas on. A few weeks ago I dissassembled and cleaned the carb. I found the pilot jet clogged as I suspected.

I took it out today. It starts fine, idles fine, but when I hit the throttle hard it pops and won't even rev. ( I got out ran by a recon 250 with my 12 year old daughter driving!!!!)
It will rev smoother if I pick up speed slowly, but will start to pop when RPM's get high.
The plug looks light like its running lean.
Could I have done damage when I dissassembled the carb or it is possible that something is still clogged.

I appreciate any help that you can give.....

rideracelivemx7
07-20-2008, 05:37 PM
well lets start off with the baics. tells us some info. what did you jet it too? I wouldn't suggest more than a 40 or 42 pilolt and a 165 main. if im not mistaken main jet is wide open throttle. you sure that's not clogged?

2quic
07-20-2008, 06:09 PM
I don't claim to be an expert at this stuff but my understanding is that the pilot is for idle to about 1/4 throttle and the main jet takes over after that, someone correct me if im wrong.

So with that in mind, i think it sounds like the problem is with the main rather than the pilot.

kennyo1
07-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Just took apart again. The jet sizes are 38 and 155. But I purchased it with these jets and it ran great. I just realized that the main jet has an adjustment lock nut. Could I have gotten this jet out od adjustment?
How many turn out should it be?