PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Predator Dies - Power Cuts Off

harperjmichael
07-20-2008, 11:05 AM
Before anyone says that it's the CDI - it did it with the stock CDI - and it still does it with the Big Gun CDI. This bike has a wiesco high compression piston - dirt digger clutches - trinity full exhaust - edelbrock 450R pumper carb - and a Brand New battery as of yesterday. My brother had problems with a shift fork and had the case apart - he had trouble getting the flywheel off - so he heated it up with a torch. Well after putting it back together and riding it probably 20 times the magnets came loose in the flywheel and ruined the stator. I have replaced the stator and the flywheel, now I'm wondering, is the voltage regulator bad. I pulled the only 3 month old battery out and it was bone dry, I think the voltage regulator is cooking the battery. Is this common on these? And if it's doing this would that be why when I was riding it for about 30 minutes that it just flat out died - lights and everything went off, then after about 30 seconds it came back on and I was able to start it just fine?

jm812003
07-22-2008, 10:02 PM
There are two circut breakers on a predator and they are known to go bad after a while and will just shut everything down for no reason. easy fix if that is what the problem is

harperjmichael
07-22-2008, 11:03 PM
I was looking at the electrical parts manual and saw the two circuit breakers. Today I broke out my multimeter and the battery before I started it was sitting at 14.6 volts - I went ahead and started it and re-tested and was getting almost 18.5 volts. I'm pretty sure that the regulator/rectifier has to be bad. It's probably getting the circuit breakers hot enough to get them to shut the bike down. I'm looking for one to replace it - good thing is the part is the same from 03 to 08 on the Predator and the Outlaw 525's.