PDA

View Full Version : Which shock is best?

MadMan400ex
12-04-2002, 10:51 AM
I am trying to decide which shock is right for me. I ride in mostly tight trails and, of course, i ride very agressively. I am thinking of either Axis, Works, Elka, or Ohlins. Also, is there an advantage to remote rezzies verses piggyback?

NTPRacing#19
12-04-2002, 11:59 AM
i would say axis is the best shock. the only reason i can see why remote resivors are better than piggy backs is because the remote resiviors offer more cooling. if im wrong on this please correct me.

Extremeracer167
12-04-2002, 12:05 PM
nope your correct:D

mysticfalcon
12-04-2002, 12:06 PM
Jeff@quadshop actualy said that piggybacks cool a little better. also remote rezzies can tear a line prety easy but it takes quite a bit to break off a piggyback

Extremeracer167
12-04-2002, 12:23 PM
i just wish axis would make piggybacks. They are just alot less to have to mess with when taking them off

Dave400ex
12-04-2002, 02:55 PM
If your not racing Elka's will be more then enough for you and they are cheaper. Also you can just have your stock rear rebuilt. Go with the piggybacks. I wish I would of got them now because my front end has no room with the rezzies and stabilizer. I didn't like how they looked, but now I am starting to. Oh well, next time...

12-04-2002, 03:39 PM
for all u saying that u would like piggybacks i was talking to the guys at pep and they say they dont reccomend getting them bc in motorcross racing if ur rubbin with other races there tire will just rip it off. they said they used to do that but it was a lot of problems so a lot of companies stopped making them. that was his info not mine:D

Dave400ex
12-04-2002, 08:15 PM
If they get their Tire up into your Shocks, I think you have more serious problems then your shock getting messed up. For MX remotes would be ok, but they are a pain with a stabilizer.

MadMan400ex
12-07-2002, 12:10 AM
Warriorman, you said something about having the rear shock rebuilt? Who can do that and for how much?

user101
12-07-2002, 10:34 AM
I got mine rebuilt by the Quadshop for 308 dollars. I think WarriorMan said he got his done at www.c&dracing.com for 300. I got mine at the Quadshop because they r the sight sponsor.

user101
12-07-2002, 10:36 AM
hers a pic of my fronts. theyre 465 retail but if u tell them ur from exriders.com u get 5% off. i think it cost about 750 all together for my front and rear shocks

user101
12-07-2002, 10:37 AM
those r the Elka economies

Dave400ex
12-07-2002, 11:41 AM
I had Elka rebuild mine. I sent mine to Full Throttle MX and then he has Elka do all the work to it. The shock was $300 plus shipping. I think the rebuild may have gone up some, but it's worth every penny. Just give Scott a call and tell him David sent you. Full Throttle MX (http://www.fullthrottlemx.com)

Sparks425Ex
12-07-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
If your not racing Elka's will be more then enough for you and they are cheaper. Also you can just have your stock rear rebuilt. Go with the piggybacks. I wish I would of got them now because my front end has no room with the rezzies and stabilizer. I didn't like how they looked, but now I am starting to. Oh well, next time...

What do you mean by if you aren't racing then Elkas will be good for you?

I race Quad B and I will jump pretty much anything you show me and I wouldn't have any other shock beside my Elkas. I have riddin on PEP and AXIS as well as my Elkas. I did not think either of them out performed any or the others.

Just wait until this year and see how many more pros will be running Elka. Then ppl will stop bad mouthin Elka.

Dave400ex
12-07-2002, 02:43 PM
Dude I have Elka's and I think they are just as good as Axis and PEP too. Guys were telling him to get Axis or PEP, well if he's not going to race and doesn't want to spend big bucks I said to get Elka's. I never said they weren't good for racing. I will be racing on mine next season.

Sparks425Ex
12-07-2002, 03:19 PM
O sorry. I took that wrong. My bad.

Dave400ex
12-07-2002, 07:09 PM
That's alright. I get upset when people bad mouth Elka's too. Sure I admit they are not up to PEP or Axis yet, but they also haven't been around near as long as them and don't have much Pro rider feedback. If they can get some Pro's running their Shocks then they will get better. I myself think they are more a XC shock, but setup right they will work good for anything.

R-Crazy
12-07-2002, 08:16 PM
TCS also makes an awsome shock for MX.

dave

Luzinski
12-09-2002, 12:27 PM
Hey guys,
I just my first desert race this weekend and it was a blast. It was my very first race and I took 5th overall. I am running stock shocks, a-arms, axle and swingarm. Do any of yoy have any suggestions for a good set up for desert racing. Also I still do a lot of trail riding and a little on a small track. I want a setup that will work for all of these. Thanks for any help you can offer!

QuadTrix6
12-09-2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
For MX remotes would be ok, but they are a pain with a stabilizer.

yea theres absolutly no room up front :grr