PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Question

Str8Wicked
12-04-2002, 10:24 AM
I'm gonna buy my own trailer this week but I want a small one to carry just my sons and my quad. Something that will fit in the garage. I know all the smaller trailer run small tires... I was just wondering if anyone has ever had any problems with the small tires. I figure when your doing 70 mph the trailer will be doing about 120 mph. DUe to the constant high rotations do any of the bearings ever freeze, etc.

Let me know guys

Scott
12-04-2002, 10:35 AM
I've had the small tires on a boat trailer before, and after an hr on the freeway the bearing caps were HOT! Hot enough to burn your hand. The bearings were greased prior to the trip, and the caps were packed with grease. While the trailer was parked at the lake, the bearings drooled grease all over the wheels. They didn't seize on me, but that was enough for me to decide I didn't want them on my quad trailer. I run a Ford 1/2 ton 5 lug axle on my quad trailer (14'X7') with 15" Chrysler 5 lug wheels. Old Ford and Chrysler 5 bolt patterns are the same dimension, only difference between them was the diameter of the bearing cap, Chrysler's was bigger. So 1965-81 Chrysler 5 lug wheels (car and 1/2 ton truck were the same) will fit on the Chrysler or the Ford axle, but the Ford 5 bolt wheels won't fit over the bearing cap on the Chrysler axle.

That's probably way more than you wanted to know.

skinrider440
12-04-2002, 10:41 AM
you can buy a 3500lbs axle with springs for like $100. I got mine at redneck trailer supply in Chickisas OK but they might be diff on other parts of the country. my friends grandpa builds trailers for a living and i can get parts real cheap he owns Trailers by Dorsey. they mostly build boat and waverunner trailers though.

Str8Wicked
12-04-2002, 10:52 AM
cool. Right now a guy offered me to take his for 300.00 The trailer is in cherry condition so I think I'll take him up on th eoffer since it is jsut what I'm looking for. I have two extra sets of astro van wheels at my house so I just need to see if I can get an axle for a 5x5 lug pattern for cheap enough. If it's about 100 than it's no problem.....

Doibugu2
12-04-2002, 11:45 AM
We have the small wheels on our camper. We have never had any problems with them, and we have had a camper like that for like 15 years. The only bad thing is if you start going faster than 70, they like to dance around a bit. Normally you won't feel it, but if it starts to get bad it will want to drag you around a bit.

But if you can get the bigger wheels, they tow much better. Plus replacement tires are much easier to get.

When we went to Hatfield, we talked with like 3 people that had blow outs on there trailers. Both the big tires and the little ones. Its hard to find a replacement tire if it is 11pm in the middle of nowhere.

Str8Wicked
12-04-2002, 02:24 PM
I hear ya.. thanks for the info....

Woodsrider
12-04-2002, 07:20 PM
I tow on a set of 8inch wheels, I go 70 for 50 to 70 miles in each direction. I check the hubs when I stop and have yet to have hot hubs. I do have bearing buddies on the hubs and grease before every trip. The key is tapered bearings torqued to the proper torque and lots of grease;)

motochris
12-05-2002, 02:29 PM
Stay with the taller tires and not the old school short ones... You will like the taller tires better... They track a little better than the short fat ones and wont heat the brgs up as fast........Good luck

Texan32
12-05-2002, 02:39 PM
I got my 4x8 trailer from tractor supply for just under 400 bucks. It has those small tires. My 400 at 70-75mhp for 1700 each way....NOT ONE PROBLEM. Trailer tires are built different than car tires. You don't see the problems today with trailer tires that you used to see. Except for those 14.5 inch wheels for moving mobile homes, but thats an ENTIRLY different situation:D

All and all, i have had my cookie cutter tires on for a year and a half and have at least 8000 miles on them. Still have 80% of the tread left on them. The key is setting the air preasure for the amount of weight you are hauling!

L.Vegas400
12-06-2002, 02:26 AM
buy the $300 trailer. you cant find them for much if any less than that. i built a car trailer for $900.

Str8Wicked
12-06-2002, 09:44 AM
I actually got lucky. Someone I just happened to find is selling me a 4x8.5 trailer tonight complete with two tool boxes, new wood, new tires, and two spares. The lady is selling all her husbands stuff for nothing so I ended up with a deal since I'm only giving her $250.00

I'll get pics when I get it at my house

Doibugu2
12-06-2002, 09:46 AM
Jerk!

J/K

A trailer like that would go at least $600 with out even trying. I have been looking for 4 months for a cheap one. I just keep borrowing my neighbors, though.

Str8Wicked
12-06-2002, 10:57 AM
I usually borrow my uncles all the time but than he likes to take my 400 and I can't say no... Actually since my 400 is a bit more hooked up now I really want my own trailer so I'm not obligated to lend out my bike.

Woodsrider
12-06-2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Str8Wicked
I actually got lucky. Someone I just happened to find is selling me a 4x8.5 trailer tonight complete with two tool boxes, new wood, new tires, and two spares. The lady is selling all her husbands stuff for nothing so I ended up with a deal since I'm only giving her $250.00

I'll get pics when I get it at my house

LOL! Is she sellin it cuz he died, or cuz she kicked him out? I know a guy who lost all his stuff when his wife had him thrown in jail. She just put it on the curb and stuck a sign on it "free stuff".