PDA

View Full Version : Frame cracked - How to fix?

Logan #34's Dad
07-19-2008, 04:54 AM
Hey fellas, I've noticed Logan's frame has one significant crack on one side and one starting at the weld and then around the tubing just below the plate that the swingarm bolt goes through. If any of you have had to fix this can you post pics of your fix. I realize I can simply weld the crack - I'm looking for pics of gussetts and stuff like that.
Anybody know if DRR would warranty this?
Thanks, Rocky - Ohio

jungleboy213
10-28-2010, 01:51 PM
I found a crack in the same exact spot. What did you do to fix it? I figured I would get the MIG welder out, but I want to make sure that is the right thing to do.

Logan #34's Dad
10-28-2010, 02:43 PM
WOW, this is an old thread. There are a couple things you should do. Add a flat half moon piece from the swingarm mount part down to the bar that goes across to the other side. Then I ran a metal strap from the rearend supports down to that crossbar on the rear of the frame opposite the swingarm mount. If you got a cell that gets pics, pm me w your number n I'll forward you pictures of what I'm trying to say.

selbygirl
10-28-2010, 08:26 PM
this is how we fixed our crack sorry about the the small picthure just click on the picture and it get s bigger and for some reason 20 other pics came with it and a video but we welded the crack and added a gusset and its bin holding for abought 2 years and myboy loves to jump

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac143/selbygirl/th_IMGP1669.jpg (http://s894.photobucket.com/albums/ac143/selbygirl/?action=view&current=IMGP1669.jpg)

edwardsp&b
10-29-2010, 06:28 AM
Anybody know if DRR would warranty this?

Thats the funny part to me! Yeah, Im sure DRR would warranty that! Damn Rocky, you were pretty naive back then. LOL

Hey, we have all done this, it sucks but its a part of racing. The only problem Ive had with doing those repairs is when the break goes all the way through. The backend on ours got real twisted and after a couple of repairs I had to just replace the frame.

Best thing I can tell you is gussett them early. When I built our 70 I took it straight out of the box, stripped it down and gussetted and powdercoated it. We really have never had any frame problems with that bike.
Bryan