PDA

View Full Version : 250R info

miles Machine
07-18-2008, 10:20 PM
whats the difference between the years

deathman53
07-19-2008, 07:30 AM
alot, but nothing too major. 86-89 are good, many peffer the shorter swingarm on 88/89, transmitton gearing and the motor in general. Not too many 250r's are stock anymore, so the year differences aren't all too important. Alot of 86/87's have had the shorter swingarm put on already, makes for faster turning. I don't like the footpeg placement on 88/89, I got -1/-1 pro-pegs for mine. Besides the swingarm, air duct(like anybody uses it), seat latch, footpegs and there maybe a few more real small things, almost all 250r parts are interchangeable. I would concentrate on condtion and check for cracks in the frame/swingarm, broken/leaking case saver bolt holes and bearings. Keep in mind, that the swingarm bolts have a tendancy to seize into the swingarm(metal collars), unless removed on a regular basis or modified for grease fittings and holes drilled into it(where the metal collars are). Others may disagree about the years, but find a good one that doesn't need too much work or any at all.

2muchquad
07-20-2008, 08:38 PM
86 has the shorter rod compared to the later yrs,later yrs run a spacer plate to use the 86 piston which has the pin in another location.The 86 also has a higher ratio 6th gear.Lots of small detail changes but more or less the same..

All250R
07-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by 2muchquad
86 has the shorter rod compared to the later yrs,later yrs run a spacer plate to use the 86 piston which has the pin in another location.The 86 also has a higher ratio 6th gear.Lots of small detail changes but more or less the same..
Stock crankshafts that are still in long term good shape are pretty rare. If you split an engine that's never been split, unless the engine has been sitting quite a bit, the crank will probably need be rebuilt at which point it doesn't matter what year the crank is.

The higher ratio in the upper trans gears of the 86 is overriden by the single smaller tooth count in the rear sproket on the 88-89. Overall the 88-89 is a higher geared machine which should tell you that the trans gearing change is pretty slight.

The 88-89 cylinders had better porting stock, so once you modify the system to a more normal 250 setup the engine and power feel overall will be pretty different.