PDA

View Full Version : Question for you racers.......

400grl
12-04-2002, 09:05 AM
Hey guys - I was wondering if you could give me some input based on your experience...........

I race MX, locally - I do pretty good, just got moved up to Novice - plan on racing the AZ State Championship series in 2003 as well as a few other series. I am looking for a sponsor to pretty much just pay my race/gate fees. I have all the goodies, clothes, mods, etc.........discount sponsorships at this point are pretty useless. It's hard to come up with the race funds every weekend, being a single mom with two kiddos and a boyfriend who also races.....sometimes I miss a race just because I can't afford it, which tends to ruin my series points.

How do you (those of you who have experience with sponsors) think I should go about trying to find a sponsor to pay my race fees? Do you think that is even a feasable request? I was thinking find local shops and hit them up, because I get alot of exposure on the AZ website and in the AMX news and stuff (just cuz I'm a girl) - but I would also like to see if any bigger sponsors might be interested if I just plaster my stuff with their name.......

Not having much experience in the sponsorship game, I thought I'd get some feedback from those of you who have been out there and know how it all works.........want to see whether it's even worth my time.

Thanks!!!

Corry

OCCRA288
12-04-2002, 10:11 AM
Make a resume, in the cover letter, say what kind of support you would like. send it to the shops in your area.
Good luck

YFZRacer350
12-04-2002, 10:51 AM
Also tell them what you will do in return for their company (good sportsmanship is always a main factor in what they look for and its best to show them you will show that). Tell them you'll display and talk only good of thier products and service..and usually they like to see pics of your quad/race hauler/and sometimes rider, and also they like to see when some of your upcoming race dates are cause some sponsors send spotters out to where their sponsored riders race at for nationals competitors *if they think you're good enough..BTW they dont tell you when they come so good sportsman ship is definately key* and they also like to see what you've placed in past races. hope this helps..later

fourwhls
12-04-2002, 12:28 PM
I would stick to talking with local shops and businesses. They will be more willing to help you than a large company. Talk to businesses outside the spectrum of racing. Talk to construction/remodeling companies, restaurants, etc... If the company doesn't make products for your bike or you, the only way they can help is money.

Make sure you tell them how much they will benefit from the couple of dollars a month they are donating.

Not to start any gender wars, but being that you are female, you have a lot better of a chance than most of us. My friends wife asked for help this year from a lot of the same companies that I asked for help from, and she is getting hooked up. I am getting discounts or nothing at all.

QuadTrix6
12-04-2002, 01:44 PM
Definetly try all local shops and as for writing a resume this might help:

QuadTrix6
12-04-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by chavez
this is from www.imsproducts.com
Well here it is, another year has gone by and here you are writing your 2001 resume in hopes of the best sponsorship possible. You are probably reflecting on you're 2000 season and all of your great finishes and accomplishments, or maybe your thinking of how your 2000 season should have gone.
Well don't stay up all night long digging out all your old "Cycle News" clippings, counting all your trophies, and finisher pins. Don't sweat the cost involved with one of the numerous resume writing companies. Welcome to Resume Writing 101, or at least Jason's quick and effective resume writing. Being one of the people who will be receiving your resume here is my input on making a resume that works.

Most importantly keep it short and simple. Keep in mind the reps. that are going to be reading these resumes receive hundreds every year. Everything from single page hand written "complete with spelling errors I might add" resumes, to full videos put to music. Yes they are very impressive but keep in mind its content that counts. So here are my 5 easy steps to making you're 2001 resume.

Biography
Start with the basics, name, age, address, bike, class you ride in and important people that help you with your race program (i.e. mother, father, girlfriend, etc.) Remember they are your biggest sponsors.

Itinerary
Put together your schedule for the upcoming year. List the different series you plan on racing. Even if it's only local events. "Very Important."

Existing Sponsors
This is also very important. Keep in mind most reps. and team managers from all the various companies you so eagerly want to back you, talk to each other all the time. We see each other at the numerous events that we frequent, everything from the Annual Dealer Show in Indy, all the way to just working the local races. We talk to each other about our biggest and best names (of course), but we also discuss the one to watch out for. (Remember the Bradshaw era). Simply put, "don't burn down any bridges." Even if you and a sponsor need to part ways do it tactfully. You may need that sponsor again some day down the road.

Photos
This is the fun part for reps. A couple of shots is all that's necessary, but make sure to include an action photo or two. A shot of you're trailer or box van. (Do I see IMS anywhere?) and finally a head shot of yourself no helmet. Keep in mind we sponsored over 2,000 riders in 2000. This helps me to remember you and put a face to your name.

The Hook
This is probably the most difficult part of Resume Writing 101. Give me a paragraph or two on what you can do for IMS. We already know what we can do for you. What singles you out from the other applicants? Sell yourself to me. Cover things like you're attitude, professionalism, commitment and sportsmanship. You get the idea. Sell yourself to me.

2001 is just around the corner. Most companies start accepting resumes between September and close February or March. So whether you choose to write it yourself, pay somebody to write it for you or hire a complete Hollywood film crew, just remember "keep it brief" and have fun with it. Remember its only racing and as long as your having fun you've already won.
Good luck in 2001,
see you at the races.

Jason Smigel

400grl
12-04-2002, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the replies so far....that really helps. I have read that article from IMS - as a matter of fact I did my resume along the guidelines they suggested! :)

I just don't know how many companies are interested in paying the fees.....discounts are nice, but not really the kind of help I need right now. I will see about the local businesses around here that aren't necessarily into racing. My brother just opened a tanning shop here in Scottsdale, (the new kind, with the spray on tanning formula - not the kind with sunbeds that's bad for you) so maybe I will see if he can help me out in return for lots of advertising! Besides, I could use a tan right about now! I also know a few people that have hit HOOTERs up and have gotten great race support from them.....I used to work there so maybe I will still know a few people who can hook me up! Thanks....I didn't really think of non-racing companies.

Yeah.....my boyfriend and I are both starting to look for sponsors....he's VERY fast, and probably won't have a problem getting some good ones.....I'm only a Novice, so I am kind of counting on the fact that I am the only female racer in AMX right now to be my hook. When I get faster and better, I won't use that anymore!

Thanks again for the replies....I'll let you know how it goes!

Corry

TLC
12-04-2002, 06:12 PM
I would try talking to the track owners about giving you free gate/entry fee and in return you could help promote their facility by contacting local newspapers and TV stations to do a story on womens ATV racing.

airheadedduner
12-04-2002, 11:03 PM
One of my high school teachers had 2 sons that raced. She worked the booth for the track and they got in for free. Find out if you can help out on practice days working the booth/gates.

OutlawEX
12-06-2002, 07:39 PM
Just talk to ur local shop and get them to come out and see you ride so they know u aint wasting their time and money..If you can show them u got patential,then u will be in there

stocktires
12-06-2002, 10:08 PM
One more thing sponsers like, a clean apearence! Keep your quad, gear, and hauler VERY clean! This makes them and you look 100000 times better!

12-07-2002, 12:54 AM
I also know a few people that have hit HOOTERs up and have gotten great race support from them.....I used to work there so maybe I will still know a few people who can hook me up!

OMG :D Now wouldnt you think a hooters girl would know how to work a few dollars out of a local business :)