PDA

View Full Version : did this ever happen to you?

BrettOaktree
07-17-2008, 09:06 PM
Alright so here i am just finishing up after draining my oil, i went to put the oil tank drain bolt in and i tightened it finger strength first then i went to tighten it with a socket and i didnt think it was tightening to much so i went on and the head of the bolt snapped off, now my question is how do i fix this, do i drill it out and put a new bolt in, and also do u guys think it is ok to ride with almost all of the threads on the bolt are screwed in the head just popped off

yfzrider310
07-17-2008, 10:04 PM
Id deffinatly get a new bolt in there but thats me. I have broke a lot of screws that hold the plastic in and misc. bolts. I guess I need to invest in a torque wrench.....$$$$$

BrettOaktree
07-18-2008, 10:18 AM
yeah i need a torque wrench i guess

Ryan
07-18-2008, 05:21 PM
Drill a small hole threw it, then use some easy-outs. Should come out without problem.

A torque wrench would be smart..... I gotta invest in one of them. I broke alot of bolts on my old bikes. If you read the torque specs, You can kinda feel out on how hard you gotta pull on the wratchet... Alot of the bolts on the quads don't require much torque at all.

squadie
07-18-2008, 07:12 PM
Had the exact same thing happen on my 05. And I was using a torque wrench. Luckily I was able to remove the remainder of the bolt without much effort. If you have a bolt kit I'm sure it will have the right size for a replacement.

BrettOaktree
07-18-2008, 07:56 PM
i got it out today, i felt like such an ***** when it happened but a torque wrench is definatly on my list, and i didnt have a bolt kit but i recently put nerf bars on that required a motor mount bolt swap and surprisingly the left over motormount bolt is the same size as the oil bolt