PDA

View Full Version : Reed spacers

qcitytile
07-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Need info on reed spacers the bike we got has two of them under reed cage. Trying to figure out if this might be part of my problem with the clutching issues. Thanks

Logan #34's Dad
07-17-2008, 08:19 PM
Those spacers should have nothing to do with clutching. I'd like to know if the spacers or risers make any differance in performance. Any Dyno guys out there messed with these?

qcitytile
07-17-2008, 08:41 PM
Only reason I ask is I've read reed spacers make more torque so I wondered if thats why I would have to use heavier roller weights. I also read that the more torque your motor puts out the heavier roller weights you have to use, Just trying to figure this motor out.

Logan #34's Dad
07-17-2008, 09:30 PM
I can't imagine that the spacer would make a differance on clutching. Every engine is different. I'm using 6 - 7's in my variator. So keep throwing weight at it till you get it to work the way you think it should. Variator weight and torque spring weight are related. The lower your torque spring is the less variator weight you should need.
Is'nt this cvt thing great! :p
Also, make sure your belt is long enough. Take out all the rollers and torque spring and manually pull the belt through the shift points and see if it can even make it to the top.
Also, put the two faces of the variator together and mic the gap distance on the outer most edge. Lets say your measurement in 18mm. If your belt is only 16mm wide then then variator can't squeeze it to the top anyhow. Hope that makes sense.

qcitytile
07-17-2008, 10:11 PM
You running heavier weights actually releives me a little, because when I get down to high 20s and low to mid 30s it just don't work. Chris at hetrick told me this happens but not often. Well I'm going to make sure the belt is long enough and check the variator. Never thought about it that way. Thanks very much.