PDA

View Full Version : cam chain tensioner help

bean2080
07-17-2008, 04:19 PM
i new on here and i need some help. i need to know if there is a spring inside of the cam chain tensioner on a 400ex. i know on the 450r there is but im not sure about the 400ex. my timing chain was loose and i turned the screw on the tensioner make it tight but i wasnt sure if there could be a spring in there thats broke or not? if there is how do you tell if the spring broke? i am thinking that it does not have a spring but i just wanted to make sure before i put my motor all back together and ride it.
thanks

drew416ex
07-17-2008, 08:42 PM
It does have a spring. Take the back cap or whatever off with a philips head screw driver and get a small flat head and stick in the hole. If you turn it to the left and let go, you should feel it spring back.

bean2080
07-17-2008, 08:51 PM
ok ill have to check that out tomorrow, im thinking that it does not spring back. now could i ride it with it broke or will the chain just get loose? i have been wanting to start this bike for a about a month because i did some motor work on it, i just want to see if it runs right since i fixed it.

CSR400EX
07-17-2008, 11:19 PM
it sounds like either the tensioner spring is broke, or your timing chain is strecthed. pull the tensioner out and it should be fully extended, if not its broke.

oh and i wouldnt start it like that. turning the motor over is ok but i would definitely not start it.

bean2080
07-17-2008, 11:24 PM
i do remember that the tensioner wasnt out all the way when i took it apart. i will have to get another one. now do you all know if the set screw comes with the new tensioner or not? i could proubly find out when i order it if you all dont know.
thanks