PDA

View Full Version : do electrical accessories hinder horsepower?

Black R/T
07-16-2008, 10:45 PM
just like the title says; do using electrical accessories like your headlight or fan, affect your bikes performance?

bwamos
07-17-2008, 07:01 AM
Depends on the vehicle.

For most ATV's.. it's a no. The ignition and eccessories are run off of seperate and isolated sections of the stator.

So even if you're overdrawn on accessory/lighting power it should not affect the ignition/spark.

Black R/T
07-17-2008, 10:27 AM
thanks. why do MX racers run the crf harness that eliminates the fan?

woodsracer144
07-18-2008, 07:30 AM
weight? mabie they run a different ing. also, i know people run the CR ing. in the 250r's people say that the trx motor is way de tuned stock compaired to the trx... but i was lookin at parts for them and the cams are the same from mot cams and then the pistons were there was alot that was the same...

deathman53
07-19-2008, 04:06 PM
actually the trx450r guys use everything electrical from the crf450r. The left side cover gets machined to accept the crf stator. You also can have the crf stator modified and have a regulator put in, so you can use the fan. Put yeah, the same reason why trx/atc250r guys use the cr igntion, lighter flywheel, better spark and optimial timing to make more power. The 250r guys have another reason, to change to a digital cdi, compared to an analog cdi(that is isn't very acurate and cuts out on higher rpm's). I beleive the reason why the crf450r makes more power than the trx450r is due to, porting in the head, cam, more aggressive stator/cdi and the choked exhaust the trx comes with.