PDA

View Full Version : transmission gurus help! quick!

Dr89
07-16-2008, 07:35 PM
i had my cr250's engine tore down to replace the crank, got the bottom end all put back together and was getting ready to finish up the top end when out of no where the thing wouldn't shift :confused:

it shifted through all the gears just fine right after i got the crank and stuff back in...the crank, sprocket, exhaust valve governer, everything turned like it should....after checking it out for a while though i found the the broken shifter colllar on the work bench, so assuming this was the problem i got a new one in. put it on today and it still didnt shift, took apart and reassmbled the entire external shift mechanism, still nothing. reluctantly i split the cases again to take a look at the transmission...so heres my question: with the transmission alone back inside the right side of the case, just sitting there in its bearings (the counter shaft and the main shaft only) should they spin freely together???

as of now, no internal shift mechanism installed at all, they only rotate back and forth about a quarter turn...i just need to know if this is normal before i go any further. i thought it might be since all the gears are lined up and they aren't actually "engaged" if you know what i mean...but im not positive.

sorry for the long post, please help!

1krazyquadridr
07-17-2008, 04:47 PM
It shouldn't be locked up. Sounds like your shift forks are not in the proper locations. If it was in neutral everything should spin freely, and even if it were in gear the countershaft should spin.

Dr89
07-17-2008, 08:30 PM
the shift forks aren't in at all...all it is is the main shaft and countershaft meshed together and dropped into position...i can't figure out why it wouldn't spin freely but at the same time i cant see how anything could be wrong...its just those two shafts perfectly assembled to spec and dropped into their bearings :confused:

i guess i'll try to put the internal shift mechanism back in and see if that takes care of it....anymore input?

All250R
07-18-2008, 11:20 AM
My guess is you've got a washer or gear misaligned or in the wrong spot. It's easy to have a gear flipped over backward too and that will sometimes cause it to go together but not quite work right. You're right, you should be able to have just the shafts in and have the trans spin freely.

Dr89
07-18-2008, 09:36 PM
alright thanks, i thought you should but wanted to make sure before i went through that whole tedious process again.

rt20ps
07-22-2008, 06:26 PM
It won't spin freely until the forks and drum are in place. You will have to lift some of the gears to get the forks in. Once the cases are assembled you will have to turn the shafts to get it to shift.

Dr89
07-22-2008, 08:30 PM
alright thanks that helps because i did notice if i lifted one of the gears just slightly it would spin just fine, so i went ahead and put the forks and drum in and like you said i had to lift the one to get it to line up and it spins fine....now my problem is that it doesnt seem to shift properly through all the gears....like it shifts, but different gears dont engage, is this because the other side case isn't on to hold somethin down or somethin???

(my first transmission tear down if you can't tell haha)