PDA

View Full Version : question about rollers

mcwilly
07-16-2008, 03:26 PM
I'm new to the cvt so I've been doing as much reading up on it as I can. Right now, we have an '08 LC DRR50 w/ stock rollers. I came across this post in an old thread:

Originally posted by AFROracing
I think the stockers are around 7 or 8g...
just by changing to 4.5 it stretches out the shift point allowing the motor to stay on the pipe longer...

When I changed them I ask by boy what he thought, I got a big smile... LOL!

I have some 4.5's sitting on the counter at home. It was my understanding that heavier rollers would give quicker starts. His seems to have quite a bit of stall at take-off, so that's mainly why I was hesitant in putting the 4.5's in (thinking it would stall it even more). The bottom end is slow…mid range is great, and WOT seems a bit rich (110 main w/ uni). So will putting the 4.5's in make it start quicker? Or give it higher top-end? Just when I thought I was figuring it out….
I also plan on putting the pro wheels and 16" Snow hogs on next week, so I think that will help some w/ the take-offs.

bulldogfallon
07-16-2008, 03:39 PM
4.5s are too heavy for a stock CVT set up in the 50...It would actaully engage sooner with the heavier weights and also shift sooner not allowing the RPMs to increase enough to stay in the power band....Like shifting from 1st to 3rd in your car (stock is 3.5 grams)

The rollers dictate when the quad shifts from low to high gear all in relation to the strength of the torque spring.

Try dropping to a 100MJ in that Sunworld 21mm

Have you tried adjusting the air screw? (on backside of carb)

It may be a little lean from the factory, so you may need to keep it less than 1 turn out or bump it up to a 40 pilot (stock 38).

Most run the 18" snow hogs (which are only 17", not 18")

mcwilly
07-17-2008, 08:08 AM
I havent messed w/ the jetting too much. I wanted to wait until he ran through the factory injector oil first since I heard that makes them run a little rich. He's had two days at the track now w/ new injector oil. I plan to mess w/ it this evening to get it ready for this weekend.
Gary, give me a call when you can.