PDA

View Full Version : RockyMountainAtv

Gatekeeper
07-16-2008, 02:55 PM
I just purchased a couple hundred $$ worth of parts from Rocky mountain ATV including front sprockets (14t renthal & 15t primary drive).
I usually run a 14t so thats why I went with a renthal, But wanted to see if a 15t would be better gearing since Ive done a few mods since I switched to a 14t.
I ordered the PD 15t front sprocket because I heard they were quality and didn't want to spend alot on a sprocket I may not run much.
When I went to install the sprocket the splines were so tight I couldn't get in to slide onto the countershaft. I checked the shaft and the splines were in great shape and lightly oiled. I tried the new renthal and it slid right on. Same with my old stock gear and my sunstar.
I contacted Rocky and they told me no problem just ship it back and they would credit my account. When I ask about my return shipping they told me I was responsible for that, even though it is apparently defective:eek2:
Anyone else have probs with rocky mountain's primary drive sprockets or their customer service?
Hardly seems worth me spending several dollars to return a defective $9 part. Looks like Ill have to order a new one from Motosport.
I seriously doubt I will be dealing with Rocky in the future.

07-16-2008, 02:58 PM
i have always had great customer service form them adn their line of products have been defect free so far...as for them asking for you to pay for return shipping, ANY business that you return a product to will not cover return shipping. there may still be a few that will, but not many.

mattn03
07-16-2008, 02:58 PM
I used a PD rear sprocket and it bolted up perfectly. I just happen to order a Renthal front, so I'm unsure how the fit is on a PD front. Like yours, the Renthal slid right on.

Duke Nukem
07-16-2008, 03:14 PM
I've always had good luck with Rocky Moutain. They ship fast and usually are free of defects. + Great prices.

mooseracerX
07-16-2008, 03:30 PM
I've had nothing but good service from RM. I bought a PM chain and it was just as good as any other chain I used before. Gatekeeper if you would want to buy another front sprocket try PBI. I have two of them and they fit great, slide right on and right off. I think they were only 14.95 too.

AnDy7
07-16-2008, 03:51 PM
I have had great service with them as well. I bought a 15 t front with nothing wrong with it.

project400ex19
07-16-2008, 04:27 PM
I have always had awesome customer service with rockymountain. I have spent well over 2000.00 there in the past few years. I'm not a huge fan of their off brand parts though. Tusk, A.R.C, Primary Drive etc... I have never bought any of them but have seen them and they are kinda cheesy if you ask me. It makes sense why you are mad at them. I guess you get what you pay for...a primary drive is 9 bucks and a renthal is what like 15?

Honda#4
07-16-2008, 05:02 PM
I bought alot from them and I never had one problem with them, I bought Primary Drive sprockets on them and fit like a glove. I two switched cuz I really dont like what there sellin anymore so I currently buy from K&K,Motosport,Magic Racing,etc etc. I really only buy shirts and such from them.

Duke Nukem
07-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Honda#4
Magic Racing

Thats where I got most of my parts to build mine up! Magic Racing is great.

Hondamaster5505
07-16-2008, 06:25 PM
i agree with the other guys. i like RM

AtvMxRider
07-16-2008, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
i have always had great customer service form them adn their line of products have been defect free so far...as for them asking for you to pay for return shipping, ANY business that you return a product to will not cover return shipping. there may still be a few that will, but not many.

agree 100%

Gatekeeper
07-16-2008, 07:44 PM
I had no problems bolting up the PD rear sprocket, and the PD gold x-ring chain looks quality. I don't know, I figured Id save a few bucks because all I really wanted was to try a different ratio.

I know its not that big of deal but when I first posted I had just got off the phone with a very nice lady that politely told me to ship it back for a refund, but it was my responsibility to cover the shipping.
Now it wasn't a misorder, or something I decided I didn't want, or the wrong size T-shirt or something. It was DEFECTIVE.
Its not worth it for me to pay $5 to return a $9 part.
Maybe I can use it for a paperweight or hood ornament or something. :rolleyes:

Wheelie
07-16-2008, 08:12 PM
My Renthal front fit perfectly.

I deal almost exclusively with RM, I've been very happy with their prices and customer service every time. I'll be placing an order again with them very soon for some new Holeshots.:macho

REDRIDDER
07-16-2008, 08:26 PM
I love Rocky Mountain i have almost spent $900 bucks their this year alone and not once had any problems, great prices and products even their primary drive brand has worked just as well as Renthal and other brand names.Sorry to hear you got the one and a million defected sprocket.Also as mentioned Magic racing is another great place to drop some bills.

Brauap
07-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Every sproket (front) I have ever bought (eBay) has always been a VVVEERRYYY snug fit, where I had to you a socket and a hammer and tap it on! Normal?

Gatekeeper
07-17-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
Every sproket (front) I have ever bought (eBay) has always been a VVVEERRYYY snug fit, where I had to you a socket and a hammer and tap it on! Normal?
Sniug yes, havin to drive it on with a hammer, no, Not normal.. You really want to risk ruining your countershaft by beating on a part that doesn't fit correctly?:rolleyes:

alex10
07-17-2008, 09:22 PM
I have had nothing but good service from them and I have bought primary drive products and they all were defect free and as good or better than OEM.

Brauap
07-17-2008, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Gatekeeper
Sniug yes, havin to drive it on with a hammer, no, Not normal.. You really want to risk ruining your countershaft by beating on a part that doesn't fit correctly?:rolleyes:

Every sproket I have ever bought was like that (about 5 total) I mean you only have a TAP the sproket, I am sure you don't HAVE to use it though...

blaaze416
07-18-2008, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by Gatekeeper
I had no problems bolting up the PD rear sprocket, and the PD gold x-ring chain looks quality. I don't know, I figured Id save a few bucks because all I really wanted was to try a different ratio.

I know its not that big of deal but when I first posted I had just got off the phone with a very nice lady that politely told me to ship it back for a refund, but it was my responsibility to cover the shipping.
Now it wasn't a misorder, or something I decided I didn't want, or the wrong size T-shirt or something. It was DEFECTIVE.
Its not worth it for me to pay $5 to return a $9 part.
Maybe I can use it for a paperweight or hood ornament or something. :rolleyes:

I know you said it was not a mis-order and all....but just recently I ordered some sprockets and a chain form RM. When I went to put on the new 14t front sprocket, it would not fit. I got a little tiffed cuz I thought I got a deffective part. Come to find out I ordered a sprocket for a 2005 and up, not the 2004 and down. DERP! :macho
Now I got a sweet paperweight!

hornetgod13
07-18-2008, 11:12 AM
RMATV is the best site to buy parts bar none. I've spent more money on their website than my wife will ever know about. Every transaction has been flawless.

Blaaze is right, I bet you ordered a sprocket for and 05' and Up. The splines are different from the 1999-to 2004 models.

400ex28
07-18-2008, 11:17 AM
Never had one problem w/ them.

madmax400ex
07-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
RMATV is the best site to buy parts bar none. I've spent more money on their website than my wife will ever know about. Every transaction has been flawless.

Blaaze is right, I bet you ordered a sprocket for and 05' and Up. The splines are different from the 1999-to 2004 models.

I have a Primary Drive front and back sprocket, and they fit perfect. I would agree with hornetgod, must have been a order screw up.
I have ordered all my aftermarket parts from RM and not one problem!

pizmo 400ex
07-18-2008, 11:49 AM
yeah Rockymountain is great. i ordered a PD front sprocket and it went on fine. i've never had any problems with them all my orders have went through perfect.

REDRIDDER
07-18-2008, 02:57 PM
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by hornetgod13 " I've spent more money on their website than my wife will ever know about. " lol...

Gatekeeper
07-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by hornetgod13

Nope. I ordered the renthal 14t and the primary drive 15t on the same order, along with a primary drive 38t rear sprocket and gold x-ring chain and other misc items. Everything except the PD front fit perfect. Spline count and diameter is the same, you can see burrs on the splines of the primary drive front sprocket.

250x_kyle
07-18-2008, 04:49 PM
never had any problem with rockymountain. however majic racing will never get a nother penny of mine. they sent me the wrong sprockets and chain when i called them about it they told me i would have to pay to ship it there and back for them to exchange it. I said FU and went to a local dealer ship

yellow416ex
08-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Ive gotten way better service ar RMatv than my local honda dealer, plus its only a 10 minute drive so I dont have to wait for things to ship...

Ruby Soho
08-05-2008, 12:24 PM
ive had nothing but great service from RM.

esr250r86
08-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Wtf? rocky mountains the best in customer service.Ive had no problems with a return or shipping or anything!
:confused:

coryatver
08-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by yellow416ex
Ive gotten way better service ar RMatv than my local honda dealer, plus its only a 10 minute drive so I dont have to wait for things to ship...

man that would be real nice. The only thing I don't like is shipping it takes almost 2 weeks to get it to here in PA

mooseracerX
08-05-2008, 12:59 PM
I love living close to Dennis Kirk. I always get my stuff next day with the regular shipping.

400exrider707
08-05-2008, 01:31 PM
I've seen people have issues with front sprockets before, but it's usually because the output shaft has so much grease and garbage on it, that the sprocket will barely fit over it. I say clean up the sprocket and the shaft really well and try again, I bet it will fit. I've used PD sprocket and chain kits for several years on my 400ex and now on my 450, and they hold up great. For the cost of the set, I usually buy a new set every winter and just toss the old stuff, even if it still looks decent.

AZ440ex
08-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by yellow416ex

:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: I would be broke if i was that close!!

stoopidbot
08-05-2008, 05:14 PM
[i] ANY business that you return a product to will not cover return shipping. there may still be a few that will, but not many. [/B]

Motosport did for me. I bought some paddles from them, when I got them they were crushed. Paddles bent, stress marks in the rubber. They paid for return shipping and next day shipped me new ones.