PDA

View Full Version : z400 or a 400ex

Arynock
12-03-2002, 09:13 PM
alrighty guys i already asked this, but i gotta do it again, i'm gonna be getting a z400 but i'm having wonders again if i should get a 400ex...

my parents are buying me either after christmas around the 2nd week of january, and then this coming summer i'll ring up around 2g's....

would it be good to get a Z400 and buy a bigger bore kit, or getting a 400ex and get a bigger bore kit, how much speed are we looking at? or will i be looking at my horsepower, and why do u people want more horsepower? whats it for accel? sorry, i'm only 14, i dont really get much about this stuff, so if u could just explain it to me, all i know is how to ride, jump, and pop good wheelies :P

Z400central
12-03-2002, 10:46 PM
ahh.....the quest for more power!!! you get used to the power of it, then you just want more! :) DW did a test of a modified Z440 vs. a 440EX....both quads had the same setups, same big bore kits, same shocks, same wheels,tires, exhaust, etc etc. only thing different was the 400ex had a stock shock on the back end, and it had a new carb instead of the stocker the Z had...who won as far as power? the Z did.....It depends, what do you want? a quad with liquid cooling, no reverse...or a quad with this? for the same price....choice is yours though! :) check out Z400Central.com though!

Maryland 400EX
12-04-2002, 04:16 AM
If you ride a 400 EX for one day and see how many times you have to get off that thing and lift it clear of trees, mudholes, etc. you will wish like H#ll you had something with a reverse. And since you're only 14, I'd be willing to bet that all that lifting would be a bit much for you at such a tender age. Find a quad with a reverse.

UglyMotha™
12-04-2002, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Maryland 400EX
If you ride a 400 EX for one day and see how many times you have to get off that thing and lift it clear of trees, mudholes, etc. you will wish like H#ll you had something with a reverse. And since you're only 14, I'd be willing to bet that all that lifting would be a bit much for you at such a tender age. Find a quad with a reverse.

reverse is for sissy's that don't pay attention far enough ahead of them to figure what's goin on:huh

seriously though i was dreading not having reverse when i first got my ex but do this day i only need reverse like once every blue moon

UglyMotha™
12-04-2002, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by hpicrv00
It depends, what do you want? a quad with liquid cooling, no reverse...or a quad with this? for the same price....choice is yours though! :) check out Z400Central.com though!

you really can't use the same price as a weapon anymore they do retail the same price but they don't sell the same price yes the z does have liquid cooling and reverse yada yada but i've also seen the ex goin for bout 4300 out the door so now weight your your options

300exryder
12-04-2002, 08:25 AM
personally i would go with the z400. Seeing as how you are only 14, you aren't totally brand-biased. I myslef am but 15 years old, and reverse is a must, not because im too weak (I play football) but because it would be impractical to lift and "unstuck" a quad that is in a mudhole or stuck in a ditch. Being a primarily trail based rider, i can't count the number of times reverse has saved me. My trails are always changing and reverse is always useful, even if you bench 400 and thibnk you can do anything. maybe you can find a better deal on a 400ex, if so, go for it.

Seeing as how i just recommended something other than Honda - im waiting for people to disagree and restate that Honda is the best and always will be, yada, yada, yada.

oynot400
12-04-2002, 08:25 AM
The neighbor is going to buy a new sport quad in a few months. He really likes mine, heck so do I! He is not going to race it or do any 70 triples with it either. He just wants something to bang around the timber with and trail ride. I would love to see him on a 400ex, but I have to admit the z400 has impressed me. I told him for the same money why not get the latest and greatest.
He might like the reverse, personlly I don't miss it. You will learn to look ahead to see what is coming down the trail. There hasen't been very many times that I had to get off and turn mine around.

Bud88
12-04-2002, 10:23 AM
yoou know i thault i needed reverse to when i got my ex but ive owned it know for 6 months and ill tell you i wish i had reverse about 2 times and i ride at least 3 days a week its not that important if your woried about getiing stuck in mud just hit it faster as far as goiung overe trees or fallen branches just do a wheely over them find a bank to roll back down on reverse aint that big of a deal i rode a z and wasnt that impressed they made it sound better then it really is go with honda they have a better name then suzuki in the long run the honda will when

YLW400
12-04-2002, 10:24 AM
But ,if you however ride mostly on MX tracks, as I do myself, go with the EX....I poopy on Z400's at the track...stock for stock:eek:

Maryland 400EX
12-04-2002, 11:39 AM
Uglymotha: You don't know me to be calling me outside of my alias, so chill. I'm giving the guy some good advice. Not everybody can bench 300+ pounds, especially a 14 year old. That reverse will come in handy. I'm saying this because for the type of riding I do (Exploring new trails) the reverse is sorely missed.

UglyMotha™
12-04-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Maryland 400EX
Uglymotha: You don't know me to be calling me outside of my alias,

eh? :huh :huh :huh

unknot your panties and settle down it was just sarcasm notice the following statement how it starts out with a serious note

Ryan
12-04-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Arynock
alrighty guys i already asked this, but i gotta do it again, i'm gonna be getting a z400 but i'm having wonders again if i should get a 400ex...

my parents are buying me either after christmas around the 2nd week of january, and then this coming summer i'll ring up around 2g's....

would it be good to get a Z400 and buy a bigger bore kit, or getting a 400ex and get a bigger bore kit, how much speed are we looking at? or will i be looking at my horsepower, and why do u people want more horsepower? whats it for accel? sorry, i'm only 14, i dont really get much about this stuff, so if u could just explain it to me, all i know is how to ride, jump, and pop good wheelies :P

Well first I'll start with "Why you people want more horse power." My answer "Why do women want to be more pretty?" Witch means everyone wants to go faster and we all love power. If you don't want more horsepower then I think we can set you up with a powerwheel machine.

Speed wise they are both very fast. The z-400 has more accelaration and top speed then the 400ex. Top speeds are about 400ex:64 ltz400:69. I look at acceleration more then anything because how often will you really be doing 70 mph? You will be happy with both of the machines power. (When you get bored you can always modify it.)

From what I have seen and heard about the both quads right now the ltz-400 is the better way to go. (Don't forget for the kfx400.) The z-400 has better handling & suspenion, also more power. Its got kinda like a 2-stroke pull to it, so I hear. You really can't go wrong with either quads. Oh yeah and for reverse with the ltz400 has, Reverse is real nice to have when your riding in the mud and snow or just having to turn around in a tight trail. For me I would rather not have reverse because I could always push it back. Never bothered me all. They could take off alittle bit of weight off the ltz400 if they didn't include reverse.

I hope this helps for you.