PDA

View Full Version : Quad for my 4 yr old son.

ADAMnQuick300EX
07-16-2008, 12:26 PM
My son just turned 4 but is pretty big at around 44" tall, he's been riding power-wheels since about 18 months and has great balance, already riding a bicycle w/o training wheels....so it's time for a REAL quad.

I've read the reviews on the off-road electric ones like the razr but 20 min run-time is unacceptable.

Anyone got a recommendation on a RELIABLE mini-quad? He's NOT going to be racing, just putting around the trails with daddy. Here's the catch, I don't want to spend alot. Sure I've seen the brand new China 90cc's out there for $400 but I know they're junk because i bought a 110cc for my wife and it was nothing but trouble...so please let the recommendations fly...and if you have a link that'd be appreciated!

Looking for sub $1000, the lower the better! Used is OK!

COLTBNME
07-16-2008, 01:17 PM
50cc suzuki ? If it were my decision. I do not think a 4 year old needs anything more than a 50cc. Just my opinion.

Thanks,
Proud MOM of Colton Kellum#484

ADAMnQuick300EX
07-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by COLTBNME
50cc suzuki ? If it were my decision. I do not think a 4 year old needs anything more than a 50cc. Just my opinion.

Thanks,
Proud MOM of Colton Kellum#484

yea 50cc would be plenty, the china quads only come in 90cc or larger around here, but prob equivalent to the 50cc suzuki, can i get one of those under $1000 though?

bulldogfallon
07-16-2008, 03:45 PM
I would like for a used DRX50...

Safe, reliable and lots of support

Great platform...way way better than anything in this price range

Ryki3r
07-16-2008, 03:52 PM
My son turned 4 in January and i put him on a DRX 50cc liquid and he is small. He has no trouble steering. The only suggestion for any quad is check the brake levers I had to bend the rear brake a little, for him to reach. I wanted to buy something he could grow into and learn on without buying a new one every year cause they grow fast! If hight of seat is a prob. the a locale fabric shop can shave the seat and recover fairly cheep.

Just my 2 cents.\

I don't own a shop.
Just a parent that was facing the same question In January.

etondaddy
07-16-2008, 04:27 PM
DRR.......hands down. And if he get's the race bug.....performance parts are only a phone call away.

Mike Kozura

Logan #34's Dad
07-17-2008, 12:32 AM
I would go with the LC DRR. But I'm a little bias.
I noted that you said he was not going to be racing. YEAH RIGHT. That is what we all said at one time. LOL.

Nichols Atvs
07-17-2008, 12:45 AM
there is a nice drx 50 on ebay right now

MXfun
07-17-2008, 05:20 AM
My son started on a predator 50 when he just turned 4. Great starter quad, but not for racing. You could try to get a used one for a decent price and plan on selling it in a year or so when he takes off and needs more power and suspension.

I think the Polaris was very good for him to learn on. Will not compete with DRR if you plan on racing. We had our Polaris for about 18 months before we sold it, now we have TWO DRR's. My son is now 5 1/2 years old and done about 15 races.

nastynotchback1
07-17-2008, 06:19 AM
mine started at 3 with an xr50 but at 5 i got him an eton 70.my youngest started at 3 with an eton 50.both quads are great with really no problems.they have alot of safety stuff like tethers,remote kill and 2 different ways to limit the speed