PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Slipping?

sheriff525
07-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Has anyone noticed that their clutch is slipping. I was in some watery conditions last time we went riding and I noticed that as I engaged the clutch under in a tight spot or under a moderate load it would make a slipping sound almost like a belt sliping on a car. Is it the clutch or could it be something else?

It still rides and shifts fine. It only did it everyonce in a while.

525 Outlaw Dude
07-16-2008, 04:25 PM
check the clutch cover and open it! you probly got water in it or something

Evasiveone
07-16-2008, 06:13 PM
The clutch squel you hear is not overly uncommon with the KTM 525 engine. Mine has done it a few times and other people I have talked to both with the 525 quads and bikes have said it does it sometimes too. Not sure what the common theme is to make it happen but the consensus at KTMtalk and other places is unless it is slipping or acting up, it is just part of the noisy character of the 525 engine.

sheriff525
07-16-2008, 08:39 PM
I happens maybe 3-4 times within a 3 hour ride. We ride hard and in some water and mud. Maybe it is just the nature of the beast but my bros don't complain or notice it. I guess it is cause they can't ride as fast as me (hahahaha right....brhaminator).
If it continues i will pull off the clutch cover. what happens when you take it off. I have never done it before. Is it full of oil or anything? What do i look for?

525 Outlaw Dude
07-17-2008, 03:21 PM
their will be lubricant in their but if anything just tip it on its side and check for anything that dosent look like its should be thier or stuff that might be out of place? ;)

SSJEFF
07-18-2008, 11:21 PM
It is pretty easy to pull the plates out and inspect them. Just make sure you keep the plates in order they came out and don't drop any pins in the motor. I would pull the pins out first then the plates.

TRENT_G
07-21-2008, 01:30 AM
When did you last change oil and what oil did you use?

sheriff525
07-21-2008, 09:40 PM
I have about 5 hours on new oil. It is still the polaris recomended oil. I had to use it up since i already had some left over. Thanks everyone I will check it out.