PDA

View Full Version : Steering Stems

maconu
07-16-2008, 10:14 AM
Apparently a 200 pound rider going over the handlebars with all his weight on one side of the handle bars bends the stock steering stem....... go figure :) I have flexx bars and they didn't get hurt at all.... love those things!!

What is the difference between all the steering stems other than demensions? Are the differences significant or is it pretty much what company provides the best service and brand you like???

I've been riding with it bent for a month or so now. It actually isn't bent to badly but I do want to replace it.

Thanks for everyones input
hasta!!!!

mcarlson1
07-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Well the difference between stock and aftermarket is the material they are made out of and the quality of the overall build of the stem. Aftermarket is chromoly which is way stronger than mild steel. As far as companies go i guess it would be the same as a arms and swing arms whoever makes the best quality stuff is going to have the best stems ie welds construction fit of the stem etc. Ive had a Laegers stem on my 250R for a very long time and ive wrecked pretty damn hard alot of times and it hasnt bent at all. I love it.

Thanks,
Mike

mhill157
07-16-2008, 03:55 PM
I picked up a Houser stem a couple months ago and it is good quality. On nice thing about their stem is they use a bearing on the bottom of the stem instead of bushings.

atvlover
07-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Hey Maconu, this is Johnny with Motoworks. Because of our race team we have stock steering stems laying around. We are using Holz racing stems. They works fantastic. If you callthe office I will send you a stock one for free. You just pay the shipping. Try not to go over the bars....lol

maconu
07-20-2008, 09:53 PM
Hey Johnny, Thanks for the info and the offer... I looked on Holz site and I don't see anything for the ds450... Is it possible to get a holz racing stem. I know you think very highly of their products so I may give on a try... why go holz over another brad???

Learned my lesson on the battery box. I hadn't ordered one yet and mine is nearly completely torn out now... SO I'm online to order one.

hasta

maconu
07-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Johnny...
What is motoworks using for their battery box? Holz?? How can I get this???

thanks

(It was cool meeting you and the team at ITP in Speedworld)

matthew

CashCrew
07-21-2008, 10:07 AM
www.x-factormotorsports.com carries the battery box.

maconu
08-20-2008, 09:53 AM
Johnny,
I'm game for one of your stock stems.... Can you pm me for my address or do you want to do it differently....

Off-Road Maniac
08-25-2008, 04:03 PM
I just seen that the Tag stems are available now.

TAG stem for DS 450 (http://www.hotseatpowersports.com/Tag-Steering-Stem-for-Can-Am-DS-450-p/tag-9010-t.htm)