PDA

View Full Version : new guy looking for an atv for my 6y/o

tashspop
07-16-2008, 05:25 AM
i'm getting my daughter an atv. it'll be her first. her experience is limited to driving an adult around on my younger sisters 90cc polaris. its too big for her so i'm looking at lower lighter machines. she also has interest in getting into racing once she comfortable driving, i'm pushing for that! anyway, i'v been reading about drr's apex, and typhoons. right now the typhoons are top on the list. i know the cvd's will be easier, but i know she'll adapt to shifting so its not my only option. i found another 4 wheeler locally that is about 1/2 the cost and looks decent to me. its a 125cc 4 speed auto clutch. looks just like the leopard from sunL but no stickers. this would make getting into atv's alot easier and helping with the budget for safty gear. i'm basically looking for reasons not to spend less on the other atv. here is a pic.
http://i15.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/fe/2b/08ff_12.JPG

and here is the sunL one
http://danddtoys.com/cart/pc/catalog/leo-1_122_detail.jpg
http://www.sunl.com/productoverviewdetails.asp?
model=Leopard&category=ATVs&pid=287

i'm sorry, it looks like these are three speed semi autos.

Nichols Atvs
07-16-2008, 07:56 AM
I will let you in on alittle secret ,if you are even thinking about racing go with the DRR or Apex the 4 stroke stuff weather she will get use to it or not , is really expensive . the two you have pictured are very unreliable and will not stand up to the DRR and Apex . Spend a little extra and you will be further ahead . If you look at the atva results you will see what is being used .The DRR 70 & 90 are 44 wide, new polaris is 36 in wide you will have to put atleast 1500 in to the stock polaris to just get the same suspension that the DRR or Apex has stock . Dont be fooled buy the Other stuff theres a reason why you have heard About DRR and Apex . there is a reason why the quads you posted are not on these threads.Check out the DRR a Apex posts You will be very happy you did and ask lots of questions .We all started out the hard way and wish this forum had been started a lot sooner .
GOOD LUCK with your search hope this helps you out .

tashspop
07-16-2008, 08:46 AM
thats really the reply i thought i would see. i do agree, but looking at it the way i do, the cheaper i can get started the better. i don't mind spending more money as time goes on if its something we're going to stick with. right now, its something we want to do. i have to also consider the fact that she may decide that she doesn't want to race, or she just isn't a good enough driver to go side by side on a track. thats why i'm looking at cheaper entry's so i don't have to much invested. you didn't say much about the typhoon, and i'm sure i'm reading where you stand correctly and you're avoiding a debate on them.

at first i was looking solely at the 2 stroke machines until i found a following on the typhoon, and in my situation, i don't mind getting started on a cheaper first/learning setup.

the other cheaper atv, you said is unreliable. is this something you've seen, or just an opinion on cheap chinese imports in general?

Nichols Atvs
07-16-2008, 10:03 AM
The cheaper quads .You need to look at the word cheaper because they use parts that are cheaper . We have all started with the same thing as you. Ill just get the cheaper one they cant be that bad I was DEAD wrong and so was the quad. That was my first mistake i could have put the 800 in to the good quad and we were not even racing yet. The DRR is for stateing purposes only you will spend about 2500. Polaris i mentioned before will cost around the same but you will need to add a lot to get it to equal the DRR or Apex . The typoon is a 4 stroke which is and expense in its self .Dont get me wrong there is nothing wrong with a 4 stroke they just are not as user friendly ,and you said that you may not race. Customer service behind Drr is Great and you can still use this even if you dont race the machine . The other thing to consider is the rules for your track you need to find out what you can run . Im my case my son is 7 at our local track they will let run up tp a 90cc fully modified . But when we run The Neatv series he can only run the 50 cc and the 70cc class . so i Choose to run a 70 with a pack of 90s and he comes 1-2-3rd. Inconculsion They all break no mater if cheap or high dollar. I just don't like seeing people disappointed when a bad penny returns . read through all of the threads DRR ,APEX, Extreme, Polaris and the rest Keep in mind that most of these quads are runn to the fullest and we are will to accept things that break. BUT SAFTY FIRST. Happy reserching.

bulldogfallon
07-16-2008, 03:50 PM
The other units don't have the potential to be what a stock DRR or Apex offers.

The Typhoon is probably the best of that "other" bunch and could be a good starting platform, but not a better choice than a DRR or Apex for the money.

If your a budget concious and are willing to improve the product over time then the DRR is the right choice, but if that is too much of an investment for the intial purchase stage, then the Typhoon is a good choice.

If you want to race then you would probably have to sell the Typhoon and buy a DRR or Apex, but that can come in time if your rider embraces the sport.

Cost cutting can link directly to a lack of safety for the rider as Nichols mentions

renae
07-16-2008, 03:56 PM
If this will be your daughters first quad spend a little more just for the sake she will be able to ride it. Most of the time you can't get parts for them even though they say that they can get the parts. We tried the CHEAP quads and it almost ruined it for the kids they were afraid to ride because they were afraid it was going to break on them again. So buy a brand that is known and that you know you can get parts for because if you don't than you will end up spending more in the long run.

etondaddy
07-16-2008, 04:31 PM
Please don't buy that junk........... DRR all the way.

Mike Kozura

forgiven
07-16-2008, 06:16 PM
Perhaps one day the chinese will put something decent but that is how I ended up dealing in DRR's.

I bought one a few years back and I want to make sure people can get a good quad for a fair price that they won't spend more time fixing them than riding them.

Then again if you just ride it around the back yard on grass it will prolly last the season.

tashspop
07-16-2008, 07:12 PM
i am working with a small budget inorder to get into the sport quickly. my wife isn't as into it as i am so i'm trying to get in buy selling some of my rc stuff and not use any of our non spent money. i did run across a te90 locally on craigs list. its two stroke, and auto, and seller claims its korean and better quality. infact there's discussion of their 450 in other threads. but it would be difficult to make a racer suspension without full custom fabrication which i don't mind. the company is hyosung. any body know of this company?

i hate to make a thread over (hows this cheap cr@@ or that peice), but i'm trying to save a buck as an entry into quads. i understand and deal very well with the aspects of break downs and maintance. i've had alot of that dealing with my rc cars over the years.

bulldogfallon
07-16-2008, 07:19 PM
Save your money and wait

You can't make one of those quads come remotely close

Nichols Atvs
07-16-2008, 07:25 PM
2006 DRR 50 on ebay brand new give it a look

pnbsdad
07-16-2008, 07:39 PM
What you save at first you will spend tring to fix it all the time. Buy a drr or an apex you will be much happier

tashspop
07-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Nichols Atvs
2006 DRR 50 on ebay brand new give it a look

not a bad price, but it looks really small. is it just the angle?

dblacks
07-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Many of us have been there

My son had a scrambler 50, smartest thing I did when we started racing was take the good advice and just get a drx 50 instead of wasting more to make the scrambler competative.

I have seen the guys show up with the yamaha raptors, typhoons, baha's etons and even one guy that has already posted something above show up with a Polaris sportsman 90, he got the kid a DRX 50 the next year and he was flying faster on that then ever on the poaris 90. Most of us have spent good money to make a bad quad faster and it still wasnt fast enough. Another guy had a Yamaha Raptor and before he was done he had over $5000 into it and the DRX 50's still made it look like a pile of junk. another with a tphoon that spent $ on suspension, motor and other stuff and still barely made it with out getting lapped

Start with a DRX or an apex and even if she doesnt like racing she can then have a great wide, safe and reliable trail quad that you can get parts for.

lem dad
07-16-2008, 08:49 PM
For the money you cannot go wrong with an xtreme just buy a xtreme not a copy these are a great starting point and can win races if you are serious and want the best buy a corba but the typhoon is a great quad and can be made to run we have beat drrs and they have beat us at the indy show drr rep told me they will 4 stroke 90 in 09

Rowlands Motorsports
Dylan 03
EVS
Xtreme Clean
Scott

Logan #34's Dad
07-17-2008, 12:52 AM
There seems to be a common theme here. You get what you pay for. That's the bottom line.
If you want to get into it cheaper then buy a used, older, DRR, Polaris Preditor 90, Kasea, Eton. These are about the same as the new ones except the suspension.
STAY AWAY FROM THE CHEAP JUNK. IMO

mcwilly
07-17-2008, 07:52 AM
I've been there. We bought our 5yo a Chinese knock-off (110cc) back in February. However, we bought it as a 'learning tool'. That way, if it got damaged or broken, we werent out a ton of money. Once he got comfortable on it, we bought him a Honda 90EX w/ plans of him racing it. (he's been wanting to race since he was riding Power wheels). After doing some research, I found that it would cost me just as much to get the 90EX 'race ready' as it would to buy a new DRR50....actually, the DRR was a little cheaper. You can take the DRR straight from the crate, to the track. If I had to do it over again (wish I could) I would have gone straight for the DRR.

jetta75
07-18-2008, 10:57 AM
If you are thinking of racing you will have to fit her engine size into her age class.

raptorobbie
07-18-2008, 11:43 AM
I was in the same boat as you - trying to get my boy a good quad that was safe and reliable. I almost got hooked on the Typhoons and typhoon knock-off's but luckily stumbled across the DRR. I was patient and waited and waited - finally ended up w/ a new one off show room floor for an excellent price. There are deals out there - keep looking on the forums and ebay and dealerships. The bottom line is (imo) the Typhoon just has too many issues and dont hold their value nearly as well as a DRR or Apex - when you spend the money, you will be glad that you have a machine like the DRR w/ support and people to back you up.

diablo14
07-18-2008, 02:37 PM
im pretty new to the mini quad thing as well man and stick with a drr save your money and wait. the drr 50 will be perfect for your lil girl i cut almost 2 in out of the seat of mine so my 3yr old could touch the pegs!!!!!! it is amazing how nice these are for the price we sold a lt50 to get the drr and it is a wonderful machine but the best thing about them is the service!!!! the guys on here are awesome. i got mine from Forgiven and he has been there 100% of the way with all my mistakes, questions, and needs AAAA+++++ for drr here is my 3yr old on his 08!!

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f252/playb0y999/Picture352.jpg

forgiven
07-19-2008, 03:28 PM
Getting to help people like you makes doing this all worth while. Thanks for the kind words.

tashspop
07-21-2008, 06:47 AM
i noticed a honda trx125 for a decent price. are they ok, or a little big for my daughter. i don't see much info on this forum about them and was wondering if they're the same size as the trx90's and use simular parts. this would make a nice trail rig i'm sure if we don't get into racing right away.

etondaddy
07-21-2008, 06:58 AM
If it's a 125cc they got 3 grand in the motor or so......post a pic or a link to it so we can take a look. It would make a great trail quad....and a racer if's it's a 125cc. Here's ours.

www.kylekozura.com

Mike Kozura

tashspop
07-21-2008, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by etondaddy
If it's a 125cc they got 3 grand in the motor or so......post a pic or a link to it so we can take a look. It would make a great trail quad....and a racer if's it's a 125cc. Here's ours.

www.kylekozura.com

Mike Kozura

nevermind, i found out its the oldschool 84-85, not a newer quad.