PDA

View Full Version : ? for the guys running stock suspension

jimmyjames1700
07-15-2008, 09:03 PM
Has anyone messed around with setting changing their ride height and damping settings with the stock shocks? I weight 165 and with stock preload I am at 7" under the pegs and about 7 3/16" just behind the lower A Arm mount.

Also, anyone care to what they have tried with the damping clickers on the shocks. It seems with the stock settings the machine is a little harsh in the really choppy stuff.

Danamo250
07-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Check out kfx450 central they have a great thread on setting up suspension

Kawi_41
07-16-2008, 10:17 PM
I'm about the same weight and I think I've got mine dialed in perfect. I'll see if I can find the sheet I wrote the settings on and get back to ya in a day or so.

jimmyjames1700
07-17-2008, 07:41 PM
Thanks alot Kawi, I've read the suspension set up article on the other site and I think it's informative but it doesn't mention much about ride heights, only sag %.

According to Quad Mag, you should have 30% front and rear for sag and its impossobile to get that much from the front and your ride height would be jacked anyways.

I always thought a suspension set thread would rule so that people could compare sets ups and have new ideas of things to try.

XCRacer236
07-18-2008, 04:57 PM
http://quad.transworld.net/quad/features/article/0,24942,1172631,00.html

everything you need to know

jimmyjames1700
07-18-2008, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by CaseDawg350
http://quad.transworld.net/quad/features/article/0,24942,1172631,00.html

everything you need to know

Link doesn't work. And like I said above, the Quad mag suspension article is kind of misleading as far as sag and ride height are concerned. But whatever works for you.

Were you able to get 30% sag in the front with the stock shocks? And if so, What is your ride height, front and rear?

Pappy
08-05-2008, 01:57 AM
Thats the problem with reading a blanket article in a magazine. With aftermarket shocks, you should be able to dial in your ride heigth and sag to what the industry feels is the optimal measurements, but in reality that isnt always possible especially when we are dealing with oem shocks no matter what adjustments the stock shocks have. The stockers are meant to offer a decent ride across a broad spectrum of rider weights. Add a heavy or lighter rider, different tire sizes etc and the "correct numbers" go out the window.

My rule of thumb on stock shocks is to remove most of the pre load and go from there. Ive never been able to get the ride height and sag reasonably close with stockers, but they work well, much better then what we had just a few short years ago!!!

jimmyjames1700
08-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Thats the problem with reading a blanket article in a magazine. With aftermarket shocks, you should be able to dial in your ride heigth and sag to what the industry feels is the optimal measurements, but in reality that isnt always possible especially when we are dealing with oem shocks no matter what adjustments the stock shocks have. The stockers are meant to offer a decent ride across a broad spectrum of rider weights. Add a heavy or lighter rider, different tire sizes etc and the "correct numbers" go out the window.

My rule of thumb on stock shocks is to remove most of the pre load and go from there. Ive never been able to get the ride height and sag reasonably close with stockers, but they work well, much better then what we had just a few short years ago!!!

You are so right. I finally did just that about a week ago. I started by taking out about 3 turns of preload in the back and then taking out as much preload from the front while still keeping my front end close to 1/4" higher than the under the pegs. I ended up loosing 3.5 turns in the back to make it happen. I am so much happier now with the handling, I even left all of the damping settings stock.