PDA

View Full Version : wtf

ridesa02400EX
12-03-2002, 08:49 PM
:huh i was riding my 440 today and it started to backfire and i could see the flames shoot out of the muffler and then it just slowley bogged down and died i tried starting it and it wants to start but it wouldnt then i pushed it home and got it started and it was running fine anybody have this problem? and also when i first start it up it will smoke for about a minute or two until it gets warmed up why does it do this? i know its not burning oil:huh

skinrider440
12-03-2002, 09:02 PM
sounds to me like you need a ring job

12-03-2002, 09:30 PM
Nah not the rings but sounds like jetting or choke problems.
'
what jetting you running?

ridesa02400EX
12-03-2002, 10:05 PM
i have no idea what jetting im running i just got it back from the shop about a month ago and they said that they put a stage one k and n jet kit on it but the shop is also at sea level and im at about 3500ft i dont know a thing about jetting i was pretty sure thats what it was but not to sure

JustRace
12-03-2002, 10:28 PM
My 440 was doing that when I got it back and it was actually running really rich. So rich that it fouled the plug. I then adjusted my carb and it has been fine since then. I would sugest finding out the settings on your carb and then i'm sure someone will be able to help you.

ridesa02400EX
12-03-2002, 10:32 PM
ALRIGHT ILL DO THAT IVE FOULED 3 SPARKPLUGS SINCE I GOT IT BACK :mad: is that why it doesnt seem so powerful?

12-04-2002, 02:44 AM
Too much fuel will do that, seems a lot of guys like to say they are running these crazy big main jets and stuff but its not doing any good if there larger than needed.

Call up the shop where you had it done and ask them the jetting they used in your motor. Try to see if they remember the needle position also.

ridesa02400EX
12-07-2002, 03:39 PM
I called the shop and they dont even remember my quad:mad: then i tried to go for a ride today but if i rev it up a little it will just start popping and slow way down like it is gonna die it doesnt seem like it is responding whenever i give it gas it will respond if i go real slow but then if i try to actually go fast it doesnt

TORO1968
12-07-2002, 10:54 PM
Sounds like you are definitely running too rich...

When going up to 3500 ft from sea level, the density of air decreases, thereby making your Air/Fuel Ratio way too low. This rich mixture is the cause of your fouled plugs and flames shooting out the exhaust pipe. Just re-jet it at the altitude you usually ride at, or if you ride at different elevations often, you might want to look into getting a Dial-A-Jet setup...I think that's what it's called. :) You'll probably notice a good increase in power once you get the jetting right, but make sure you don't go too lean, cause engines don't like that. :D

Hope this info helps,

Jordan

ridesa02400EX
12-07-2002, 10:57 PM
thanks a lot man that info really really helps im going to get it rejetted asap

87250r88
12-08-2002, 06:13 AM
Loosen the front clips on the air box lid then lift the lid up . flip the clips back down and let the air box lid sit on top of the front clips ( the rear clips will hold the lid in place) or remove the air box lid. This will let more air into the air box.

If the engine runs fine now you either have to run a smaller main jet or get more air to the carb.