PDA

View Full Version : Trying to make a G N C C ready quad. HELP!

Brauap
07-15-2008, 04:59 PM
So, I need to completly rebuild my quad after a hard weekend of riding at my Aunts house. Once I am finshed with this build I want to beable to race XC/GNCC, and I need your guy's help.

I want to make an awesome preforming quad without spends 1,000's but also has the heads turning.

Here is my plan:
Black Pro Armor Bull Horn Bumper
Black Pro Armor Race Peg Nerfs
Black Powercoated Frame
______ Beadlocks
Stock 2003 Yellow Plastic
Black FX Gripper Seat Cover
Fasst Flexx Handlebars
Rad Lock Nut
Lexx Slip-On
Maxxis Razr2 Front Tires
PRM .250 Swing Arm Skidplate
_______ A-Arm Guard
_______ Full Body Skidplate
_______ Steering Stabilizer
Stock Airbox
Uni 450R Filter
450R Front Shocks
-Revalved by________
-Resprung by_________
Stock 400EX Rear Shock
-Revaled by_________
-Resprung by_________
Port & Polish by__________
J.E. 10.8:1 416 Kit
Spal 4" Puller Fan
_______ Air Scoops
CFM Oversized Oil Tank
Polished Engine Cases
______Hydrolic Clutch
Cycra Classic Endro
.................................................. .........

What do you guys think? Everyone that has a __________ I need help on. I want it to be the most reliable, best looking, and greatest preforming, but without spending 1,000's (again). Think you guys could help me out? Also, if you want to add/change something..

bcg717
07-15-2008, 05:45 PM
That right there looks like thousands. Besure to check ebay for good deals.

klutch
07-15-2008, 05:47 PM
Very nice write up so far. Good luck with your build. I would say Hipers are the best beadlocks out there. Though I love my ITPs. You can't go wrong with any I would say.

Brauap
07-15-2008, 07:56 PM
Can anyone else help? Please?

07-15-2008, 08:00 PM
try AC or PRM for the skids and stuff. good luck bet it will look nice:macho

07-15-2008, 08:07 PM
a few things you have on that list are just looks wise. Save the polished cases and powdercoated frame for last. Looks dont make you faster

07-15-2008, 08:11 PM
yea u could alwase do a good paint job on the frame.. poilish the cases in down time:devil:

Hondamaster5505
07-15-2008, 08:23 PM
Know what I always thought looked trick?

Yellow front fenders with black rears. Like the 03 LE banshee. I just love that color scheme for some reason. Those plastics with a black frame would look trick:cool:

Brauap
07-15-2008, 08:50 PM
FoxHondaRider this is my plan:

Save up $1,500
Get all engine work done
Get shocks then get them worked on
Powdercoat the frame
work up from there

Brauap
07-15-2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks for all the help guys! This is my first so as much insight as possible would be wonderful!

Thanks Again!

01exrider 281
07-15-2008, 09:00 PM
mine have "" around them

Chassis | Suspension | Controls:

Frame: PC Black? Gloss? Flat?
A Arms: "stock or maybe +1's"
Swingarm: "stock"
Steering Stem: "burgard +1"
Stbilizer: "W.E.R"
Axle: Lonestar Axcalibur
Carrier: ??
Locknut: Lonestar Anti Fade Brake Hub
Hubs F|R: ??
Bars: Fasst Flexx
Throttle/Clutch Lever: ASV
Grips: "what ever feels comfortable to you, pro taper pillow tops are nice tho"
Nerfs: Pro Armor Race Peg (Black
Bumper: Pro Armor Bull Horn (Black)
Grab Bar: ??
Front Shocks: "450 revalved , and resprung to your specs"
Rear Shock: "stock, revalved , and resprung to your specs"
Brake Lines: Galpher Steel Braided Lines
Rotors F|R: Galpher Wave Rotors
Rims F|R: Hiper
Tires F|R: Maxxis Razr2|Maxxis Razr 6-Ply

Body:

Plastic: Maier Stock Red
Graphics|Seat Cover: " what you like, custom to make them "yours"
Number Backgrounds: "custom"
Handguards: Tusk D-Flex w/ D-Flex Spoilers
Bar Pad: Red Fasst Flexx
Fuel Tank: ??

Engine|Drive System:

Cylinder|Head: "port polish"
Bore & Stroke: ??|??
Displacement: 416cc
Cam: Hotcams Sg. 1
Carburetor: Edelbrock Qwiksilver
Air Filter|Box: Uni|Stock
Pipe|Silencer: FMF Powerbomb|Lexx Slip On
Clutch|Plates: ??|??
Gearing F|R: 15|38
CDI|Killswitch: Stock|Pro Armor Pro Series
Cooling: Spal 4" fan|Oversized Oil Tank|CBR1100 Oil Cooler|Air Scoop
Other:

i posted this before for you so ill post again.

Brauap
07-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks, but I decided not to go THAT far out, like I am stick to the stock axel

NickG5755
07-15-2008, 11:56 PM
Ditch the Polished Cases ,
Wait for powdercoat cuz if your gunna race with the stock frame and race it HARD that frame is gunna crack.

Get your frame sandblasted and take the time to rattlecan it... if you put 2 or 3 coats of clear on youd be suprised how good it can look. And if ya get frame guards you dont have to worry bout paint comein off where your boots rub..

Focus mainly on making the bike get Through the race, aka suspension ,guards ,skids , nd make it comfortable. Bars that fit you , levers . mabe a seat.

As far as performance id leave the head alone for reliability just replace the valves. Get the Flywheel shaved!!!!! youll gain a ton of quick revving power

Keep it simple first them make changes as you need them.

hypersnyper6947
07-17-2008, 12:42 AM
do the suspension, skids, and tires first that will make the biggest different, then do the engine, and last do the pretty stuff.

sideways
07-18-2008, 08:20 AM
why spend money on maing a bike pretty when your just gonna beat the crap out of it? skids first, then bars etc to make it comfortable to you, tiah's, then suspension, then motor work, then pretty things. personally pretty things are a waste of money, they don't stay pretty for long, and dont help you win a race. focus on things that will help your endurance (comfort) and ride quality. a 400ex with an afermarket suspension will go faster in gncc than a 440 with stock suspension

Honda#4
07-18-2008, 08:51 AM
So far your list is great, for your motor work i'd take it to Colby would cost somewheres around $450 if you went with a package like me which has good lowend but killer mid and topend. For a stabilizer just a stick would maybe do you good like Gibson but pretty much all sticks are the same. Instead of the polished cases do more PC, my reason is polished things are only for show nothing more plus to keep it all polished is alot of work.

For beadlocks depending on what you buy your gonna be spending alot , hipers are great but cost alot, I'm not much of a hiper fan but I plan on buying Douglas Billet Beadlock Shamrocks soon, very expensive wheel but alot less than hipers plus I think they look alot better than hipers. Whatever ITP beadlock you buy is very decent, alot less priced than douglas and hiper, doesnt have the best looks, strength is pretty much the same.

Another thing to have is SS Brakelines, I think its more of a must than the Spal fan.

Bottom line its hard to build a quad without spending $,$$$

07-18-2008, 10:00 AM
1) Skid plates (dont need a-arm)
2) Tires (22" and a gearing change I have seen some nasty ruts)
3) Handle bars (find out whats best and most comfortable)
4) Bumper (its not that easy to pull the quad with a stock bumper)
5) Steel braided brake lines (go faster and stop quicker)
6) Steering stabilizer
7) Suspension (either tune your rear and ride stock or I recomend 450r fronts and if you have the cash revalve and respring all 3)
8) Performance: pipe and air filter, remove the choke, jet it, I highly recomend the advanced timing key and just stay at 10:1 compression and pump gas is fine, stage 1 hotcam.

If you had all of that done not only would your quad ride like a dream but it would flat out haul. You dont really need a ton of power to win a race you just have to pick your lines right.

Brauap
07-18-2008, 10:21 AM
Hey thanks guys! But why don't you need a-arm guards?

Brauap
07-18-2008, 10:21 AM
Also, I need a new clutch bad, what should I get? Also, how hard is it to install?? :ermm:

coryatver
07-18-2008, 10:53 AM
a-arm guards are pretty much pointless.

your list is pretty good:
Save up $1,500
Get all engine work done
Get shocks then get them worked on
Powdercoat the frame
work up from there

stock clutch components ftw.
just get a reliable motor build. smallest bore you can get with not a really high compression piston. Maybe a heavy duty rod and 450r cam chain. You want a really reliable motor. More motor really won't help you in the amature ranks its almost all rider. If you think you have to have more power you might as well get a 450 right now becuase no matter what you put into a 400 they will have an edge there.

minimum mods you need are 6 ply tires, swingarm and chassis skid plates, and tether. From there you should get front shocks, rear linkage and shock rebuild. sorry to say but your list is way over 1,500. If your on a budget stick to only what you need. Flashy fancy parts and gncc racing dont' go well together. Its just more stuff to go wrong or break and you will probley be replacing later anyway

fastredrider44
07-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by coryatver

minimum mods you need are 6 ply tires, swingarm and chassis skid plates, and tether. From there you should get front shocks, rear linkage and shock rebuild.

Handgaurds and good grips should make that list too. I'm sure I will be getting my chops busted on this one, but 400ex's aren't worth pouring a whole bunch of money in anymore. I was getting to the point where I was sinking a bunch of money in my 400, so I went ahead and upgraded to a 450 and like it much better.

sideways
07-18-2008, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
Handgaurds and good grips should make that list too. I'm sure I will be getting my chops busted on this one, but 400ex's aren't worth pouring a whole bunch of money in anymore. I was getting to the point where I was sinking a bunch of money in my 400, so I went ahead and upgraded to a 450 and like it much better.

just remember it's 10% bike, 90% rider that wins the races.
like a golfer that blames a bad score on his clubs, it's usually not the clubs

fastredrider44
07-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by sideways
just remember it's 10% bike, 90% rider that wins the races.
like a golfer that blames a bad score on his clubs, it's usually not the clubs

Wanna race? What I was saying about my 400 is that it was showing age, and I was working on it constantly.

Now I race a 450. It has a better factory suspension, more power, and overall handles better. Some people still like the 400ex's better. I feel more comfortable on a 450.

fastredrider44
07-18-2008, 01:51 PM
To give you an idea about a base for a xc 400, here was mine.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc281/fastredrider44/100_1817.jpg

This is a pic of the way I sold it. I had wheels and tires, and different handlebars with handgaurds with it before I decided to sell it.

fastredrider44
07-18-2008, 01:53 PM
And this is why I sold it.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc281/fastredrider44/46-1.jpg

07-18-2008, 02:33 PM
i like the 400ex better lol

fastredrider44
07-18-2008, 02:44 PM
That 450 pic is an old cell pic. It's safe to say it doesn't look anything like that now. I liked the 400, it just beat me to death riding on stock shocks. I even had 450 fronts.

GNCC ready quad needs to have a good suspension.

sideways
07-18-2008, 03:55 PM
Wanna race? What I was saying about my 400 is that it was showing age, and I was working on it constantly.

Now I race a 450. It has a better factory suspension, more power, and overall handles better. Some people still like the 400ex's better. I feel more comfortable on a 450.

i never turn down a friendly race.....:D :macho

Brauap
07-18-2008, 04:10 PM
What bars are real good, real strong, look nice, but are 200 bucks like the Flexx?

fastredrider44
07-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by sideways
i never turn down a friendly race.....:D :macho

A bit far for a friendly race. I'll be at Snowshoe WV. That'll be about the closest I will be to you.

fastredrider44
07-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
What bars are real good, real strong, look nice, but are 200 bucks like the Flexx?

The flexx bars are cool, but I honestly can't get used to them. I have Tag T2 fatbars. They're strong and I like them pretty good.

sideways
07-18-2008, 04:49 PM
A bit far for a friendly race. I'll be at Snowshoe WV. That'll be about the closest I will be to you.

yea i won't be down there for a while. i have a hatfield macoy trip planned for early sep, that's as far as i go

Brauap
07-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Okay people. Back on topic..

If you guys still wanna chit-chat PM each other, please & thank you.

fastredrider44
07-18-2008, 05:00 PM
Okay people. Back on topic..

If you guys still wanna chit-chat PM each other, please & thank you.

You're excused. I'm trying to help you out.

Brauap
07-18-2008, 05:15 PM
:confused: Just wanted get get back ontopic. Not talking about your riding trips, racing eachother ect.

07HRC450R
07-18-2008, 05:43 PM
^how old r u?:confused:

07-18-2008, 06:11 PM
he was born in 94' so i assume 13 or 14 possibly turning 15 in August?

07HRC450R
07-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
he was born in 94' so i assume 13 or 14 possibly turning 15 in August?
omg! this is gunna be a pointless thread since hes only 13 or 14!

07HRC450R
07-18-2008, 07:05 PM
there's no way he can afford all these ideas he wants lol:o unless his daddy buys it all for him:confused:

Brauap
07-18-2008, 08:50 PM
:grr: I buy all my own stuff, and work hard getting the money. By the way, I made a new, more realilistic list, again.

ftw I am 13 :rolleyes:

Powermadd hand guards
450r uni
stock airbox
450r shokc-revaled/resprung
stock rear- revalved/resprung
23" Razr2 fronts
22" Razr 6-ply rears
J.E. 10.8:1 416 kit
CFM Oversized oil tank
Stock 400ex plastic-red
Fx Gripper
Stealth black frame/engine
Flat red a-arms/swinger
Pro Armor Bullhorn Bumper
Douglas Shamorock Beadlocks ?
? Air Scoops
Pro Armor Race Peg Nerfs
Rad Lock Nut
White Bros E-Series
Steering Stabilizer
Skids- Swinger/Body/A-Arms (depends what ever brand I find a good deal on)
? Stainless Steel Braided Brakelines
CRF450 Cam Chain
Spal Fan if I still have money and I get a good deal

There is nothing extreme on this list and is all reasonable. I say it will take me about a year in a half, 2 at the most. Any comments on this list?

Brauap
07-18-2008, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by 07HRC450R
there's no way he can afford all these ideas he wants lol:o unless his daddy buys it all for him:confused:

My "daddy" doesn't buy me anything.

Everyone stop with all the smartares with my age. It doesn't mean anything. It doesn't mean that I can't have a better quad than you, I just have to work harder achieving my goal. It doesn't mean your a better rider, or you could beat me in a race, so just quit it! :scary:

07-18-2008, 09:07 PM
give him credit for being 13 and buying all his own stuff. I know when I was 13 my parents would buy me gas for my quad, then when i turned 15 i had to buy gas for my quad and then at 16 i had to start paying for gas to drive me to ride too lol. But they never bought me parts thats for sure, i bought my own quad and all my parts, they buy me gear like helmets, chest protectors, jersey, goggles, pants between Christmas and birthdays but boots i was on my own. Now i'm pretty much on my own with everything and I think its good my parents did that because I see little brats were their parents fill their cars up with gas and they complain gas is so high when they dont have to pay a dime. or kids were their parents buy them everything and then they whine because they didnt get something so they buy it to make them feel better. Or parents that buy their kids cars and stuff, most of the time they will never learn the value of money because they didnt have to work for it. Anyways back tot he original post on the GNCC build. The list looks good cant wait to see it come along! I have to ask though whats up with the 450r UNI? and once again dont waste your money on a-arm skids its un needed weight and just another place for mud to build up. Go with the swinger and engine/body. Save yourself the money.

Brauap
07-18-2008, 09:33 PM
Thank you FoxHondaRider, I am glad someone understands.

I was thinking about the A-Arm guards and if I look at the my stock ones now that are beat to.... and are starting to rust. But wait, PC can't scratch, can it? The 450R Uni, its larger than the 400EX. I think... :uhoh:

I am also glad SOMEONE have faith in me. haha :D

07HRC450R
07-18-2008, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
give him credit for being 13 and buying all his own stuff. I know when I was 13 my parents would buy me gas for my quad, then when i turned 15 i had to buy gas for my quad and then at 16 i had to start paying for gas to drive me to ride too lol. But they never bought me parts thats for sure, i bought my own quad and all my parts, they buy me gear like helmets, chest protectors, jersey, goggles, pants between Christmas and birthdays but boots i was on my own. Now i'm pretty much on my own with everything and I think its good my parents did that because I see little brats were their parents fill their cars up with gas and they complain gas is so high when they dont have to pay a dime. or kids were their parents buy them everything and then they whine because they didnt get something so they buy it to make them feel better. Or parents that buy their kids cars and stuff, most of the time they will never learn the value of money because they didnt have to work for it. Anyways back tot he original post on the GNCC build. The list looks good cant wait to see it come along! I have to ask though whats up with the 450r UNI? and once again dont waste your money on a-arm skids its un needed weight and just another place for mud to build up. Go with the swinger and engine/body. Save yourself the money.
dude! thats exactly how my parents are! lol except my parents gave me a full tank of gas in my truck for my 16th b-day lol:D

bcg717
07-18-2008, 10:02 PM
The new list looks good. I am sure some will disagree with me but i would do skids,suspension,tires/wheels, etc before you do the motor work. If its your first xc race just try and finish. Keep racing and saving money, then as you get better you can upgrade your motor mods and go from there.

07HRC450R
07-18-2008, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by bcg717
The new list looks good. I am sure some will disagree with me but i would do skids,suspension,tires/wheels, etc before you do the motor work. If its your first xc race just try and finish. Keep racing and saving money, then as you get better you can upgrade your motor mods and go from there.
x2! thats what i would do if i was u

Brauap
07-18-2008, 10:08 PM
I would but I am not just doing this for fun, I am doing this because I NEED it! I cracked my rear fenders off, the engine is smoking a storm, and the head gaskits are leaking. All bearings and bushings are bad or are going bad. There is run on the frame. Nuts and bolts missing. Seats ripped, bars are bent.. I needs it bad. Trust me.

07HRC450R
07-18-2008, 10:13 PM
I would but I am not just doing this for fun, I am doing this because I NEED it! I cracked my rear fenders off, the engine is smoking a storm, and the head gaskits are leaking. All bearings and bushings are bad or are going bad. There is run on the frame. Nuts and bolts missing. Seats ripped, bars are bent.. I needs it bad. Trust me.
WOW! then i'd fix that stuff before i'd even think about doing things to it imo

sideways
07-19-2008, 09:08 AM

i think i remember now, you ran the quad without an air filter for like 2 hours didnt you?
good luck with the build. im out

Brauap
07-19-2008, 09:44 AM
Yea.... about 3 hours... and I ran it HARDDDD too, but I had no clue. :(

hornetgod13
07-19-2008, 09:55 AM
Yea.... about 3 hours... and I ran it HARDDDD too, but I had no clue. :(

Yes you did! You said it was sounded load and funny like a two stroke. THAT WAS THE CLUE! But, You kept riding it. It still amazes me.

When it comes to this mod list of yours.....
You are a dreamer. I was the same way when I was your age but, seriously how's a kid your age (13) going to afford any of this with Mommy or Daddy's help. You'd have to mow lawns until you were 30.

What happened to the YZ125 you were switching to?

It's good to dream but, be realistic.

Brauap
07-19-2008, 11:26 AM
MY "MOMMY" AND "DADDY" DON'T BUY ME CHIT! STOP SAYING THAT!

Oh and HornetGod, I wasn't even sure that was me! There is nothing on this list that makes me dream! This is just an ordanry XC quad.

I just finshed dumping 380 bucks into my Yz125! I should be getting it back anyday now.

Whats not realalistic about this? The Powermadds? OOhh.. I know! The beadlocks! I have many jobs. Last week, I worked 4 days and got 95 bucks. My sisters friend's dad is bringing over his quad with all new rear end parts and he is paying me 100 bucks just to install the parts.

What still amazes me is how you act like a big bad ares because you won QOTM! You know what HornetGod, I'm going to show you up when I finish this machine. I don't live in a rich family where my "Mommy" or "Daddy" is able to give me anything I want. I have to buy my own gas, oil, spark plugs, bearings, gear, parts, grips, everything! So I don't appreceiate it when people like try to put me down. Just because you probally have a well paying job and you are able to endlessly dump thoughsands into your QOTM doesn't mean others can't try there hardest, work their butts off, and try to accoplish there dreams! Of course with my age being 13 means I can't even get a job sweeping floors at the local honda shop, so I have to find work in other areas. The other day I got 50 bucks for killing 5 of my naughbors groundhogs. I have ways of making money. So, please stop going to everyone of my threads, and trying to crush my "dreams" of this XC quad. It is really getting on my nerves. Is it possible, if I ask you nice enough if you quit posting on any of my threads, because you RARELY provide any usful info.

Thank You,
Colton Ware

hornetgod13
07-19-2008, 01:57 PM
When I was your age I had a peice of s*%t honda trail 70 4 speed with no clutch cable. I had to push/run it down the gravel drive way, hop on, and stomp it in gear to start it. I worked odd jobs as a kid and mowed lawns. Hell, I even sold earth worms for a dollar a dozen to local fisherman.

Everything I have now is bought and paid for. I've worked hard for what I've got. I was fortunate to win QOTM and I'm greatful but, I haven't changed. I've always been this way.

I've tried not to post in your threads but, you post some of the most off the wall or unrealistic stuff. You remind me so much of my son, he's your age too.

I will continue to post when and where I want to. It's a discussion forum. You should learn early in life that not everyone in is going to agree with you.

coryatver
07-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Colton don't let all the guys on here get to you to bad. Some are making fun of you but some are just trying to help you out. Some of the things you have said and done in the past on here definitely were stupid but you are really young and just showing your age. At least you are not afraid to try or ask for help. I am going to expand on my earlier post because I don't think you got what I totally said

XC racing is crazy expensive. You want to keep your bike as stock as possible but in good running condition and the essential parts. Why? Becuase you will break and wear out parts and you don't want to break an expensive aftermarket piece you just bought when a cheap stock part would do the job. You can replace the stock with aftermarket when you break a stock part and the stock replacement is overpriced.

You said you need all new bearings, new top end, and new plastics. GET THESE THINGS FIXED FIRST. You can get out and ride on stock shocks but if your bearings are shot then your done.

also get some good tires, 6 ply of some kind and some skid plates. DO NOT worry about a-arm plates!!!!!!!!! I don't know why you are obsessed about them they don't do anything.

If you get those things you will be able to go race! Other parts you can get as you go.

your list

Powermadd hand guards $50
*******nice but not absolutely nessessary

450r uni
*******just get one made for the 400. The stock 400 filter's work great I have raced with them for years

stock airbox
***** do you already have it? aftermarket ones are junk and will crack/break off and cause electrical problems

450r shokc-revaled/resprung
stock rear- revalved/resprung
***looking at about 1,000+ of work. awesome to have but you can race without it especially as a beginner

23" Razr2 fronts
22" Razr 6-ply rears
*** looking at about $250+ these tires are too tall for xc get 21" fronts and 20 rears. There is a reason that is what everyone runs

J.E. 10.8:1 416 kit
**** good choice

CFM Oversized oil tank
***not needed at all for your mods

Stock 400ex plastic-red
*** good choice get at local dealer you won't have to pay shipping trust me you will play dealer prices but it will be cheaper

Fx Gripper
***whats wrong with your stock seat?? When you rip the stock one then get a new seat cover

Stealth black frame/engine
Flat red a-arms/swinger
***powercoats nice but not neccessary. You can't powercoat stock a-arms. When you got the $$ and got it tore down to get it powercoated get your frame gusseted, and subframe modded for grab bar.

Pro Armor Bullhorn Bumper
**** horrible bumper for XC. Horns get caught on vines, brush and other crap, horns can bend into shock, a-arms so you can't go

Douglas Shamorock Beadlocks ?
****stock Honda wheels are better than aftermarket non bead locks stick with them! you don't need bead locks for a beginner.

? Air Scoops
***totally unnecessary

Pro Armor Race Peg Nerfs
***you don't need nerfs for xc they get in the way, hang up on stuff, bend into your tire, break off causing dnf

Rad Lock Nut
***stock is good. when stock wears out get aftermarket

White Bros E-Series
***you already have it

Steering Stabilizer
***awesome to have but you can run without it. The cheap ones wear out in one race anyway and are a waste of money and the decent ones are $500

Skids- Swinger/Body/A-Arms (depends what ever brand I find a good deal on)
*** get an PRM chassis and swingarm skid directly from PRM

? Stainless Steel Braided Brake lines ***not necessary. like i said before when stock breaks replace

CRF450 Cam Chain
***if you need a new chain get this

Spal Fan if I still have money and I get a good deal
***not nessessary at all and will not hold up to XC race conditions anyway and maybe cause electrical problems

You seem worried about heat. Just make sure you run 20w50 synthetic oil automotive is fine just make sure it is doesn't say energy saving and CHANGE OIL/OIL FILTER and clean air filter EVERY RACE(run with airbox lid on!)

This advice is from experience. I got a brand new 2000 400ex when I was 15 and started racing GNCC races and locals and raced it for 8 years. I paid for all the parts and up keep on it by myself but I did borrow money from my parents at some points. It took me all 8 years to get it the way Dreamed I wanted it with parts but you can still get out and race and do good even without the latest fancy parts. Good luck and have fun wrenching and racing.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/Cory.Root/R_3Def-sH4I/AAAAAAAAAPQ/INqcj6XMFG4/s800/Boyers08%20160.JPG

07-19-2008, 03:21 PM
coryatver nice quad and what shock covers are those? I cant stand the shock covers that are big advertisements or stupid designs i just want plain black ones.

coryatver
07-19-2008, 03:24 PM
I got them from a guy that made them for a group buy on the 400ex yahoo group 86atc250r had back in the day. not sure but I think the guy might sell them on ebay now.

07-19-2008, 03:34 PM
now do the covers go all the way past the preload collars?

Honda#4
07-19-2008, 09:54 PM
Good luck to your build brauap, all I can say is save up good and you'll have a awesome quad sometime soon. I believe if you really want something in life it will come to you so just keep believing and it will come no one online can take that away from you, besides its not what people say that matters its what matters to you. Just get the small things fixed so you can atleast race it then work up from there. Good Luck and dont forget to have FUN!

I learned just by rebuilding my motor that making mistakes is the best thing you can you for yourself, the main thing is you learn from them and someday you can past that on to your kids or other people.

hypersnyper6947
07-20-2008, 02:29 AM
Also quit flipping out when someone says something you dont like, thats why they do it, you flip out and its kinda fun to watch/read. If you just act like it doesnt bother you then its not fun anymore and they wont do it, this is a good life lesson.

Yippie-Ki-Yay
07-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Good luck with this, and i would follow coryatvers advice, he has some seriously good points! A few years ago when i was around 10, i was saving money to buy parts for my 250ex(I was young, and a 250 seemed like a pretty bad arse bike at the time
:rolleyes: )Anyway, i mowed grass, and i tried so hard, that on a hot day i passed out due to the heat, so i know what your goin through! Now that my 250 is sold, and im moving to a 400 on thursday, it seems kinda pointless now.