PDA

View Full Version : Where Do I ride at the Lake of the Ozarks?

JimmyHoffa
07-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Are there any awesome tracks, riding areas, or other ATV accessible areas near the Lake of the Ozarks? The terrain really feels like it should offer me some good riding, but I can't really find anything. Throw down what you have!

Thanks,
-Jim

Camber
07-20-2008, 10:49 AM
around the lake i have no idea. but a few good places are potawatomi in fulton, wade road in jeff city, and finger lakes in columbia

JimmyHoffa
07-20-2008, 05:17 PM
could you be nice to me and give me some usage information on potawatomi and wade road? If you've ridden there, what do they contain? You've got me excited because I haven't heard of either before, and am itching for a few good rides. Is there anything special I need to ride at either one?

Camber
07-20-2008, 05:32 PM
potawotami i havent been to yet. we were supposed to yesterday but everyone in the group ended up with other stuff to do. i do know its $7 to ride out there and the rules are pretty lack. its open to EVERYTHING, trucks, buggys, ect.

wade road is ran by larrys motor sports in jeff city. the riding area is about 15 minutes east of town. $5 bucks to ride nice trails low-medium difficulty. little water retention there unlike finger lakes that someone could spit and it'll turn into a giant sink hole. they also have a fairly decent mx track if you are into that kinda thing. and at the end of one of the larger main trails there is a huge open field to open your bike up and plenty of room for the guys that like to stunt.

JimmyHoffa
07-20-2008, 06:09 PM
Thanks man. I did a little research, and I'll be hitting both of them. Apparently Potawatomi has three tracks.

I am into "that sort of thing..." Wink wink, nudge nudge. ;) But seriously. I like the track. Good to know it's there, and I appreciate the help.

Camber
07-20-2008, 06:16 PM
no problem glad i could help ya out. maybe we will get a chance to ride together some day. quite a few of us in the group i always go with. everything from utility quads to sports, tame riders to those who i believe are clincally insane lol.

JimmyHoffa
07-20-2008, 06:45 PM
mmm... I hear a knock on the door of opportunity... you could be my inside man.... I like finger lakes, but the place is always a swamp-and-a-half because I never know what the weather was like. You can keep me posted, and hit me up for a ride when it's dry! I'd be down for a ride anytime. I go to college in Rolla, so it's only about an hour or so out when I'm in school. I have a few riding friends there too, but I'd vote myself as the most clinically insane.

Camber
07-20-2008, 09:35 PM
yea im more of the tame rider lol. plus it doesnt help that im still somewhat fresh to the bike. my parents and brother live in st. james. shame there arent any good places right around rolla.

JimmyHoffa
07-20-2008, 10:43 PM
God I'm a numbskull. Welcome to the forums! I didn't even notice that ALL of your posts were on my thread. It is a shame that there's nothing around rolla, because 9 out of 12 months a year for the next 4 years I'll live there, and I'll have my bike too. I'll let you know if I get any leads on private land or anything. There's something called mitchell's Mx, but I don't think they run quads anymore.

airmobile101
07-21-2008, 08:01 AM
Ill ask a few racing buddies that live in Rolla.Im sure they got there areas to ride.

HmF300ex
07-21-2008, 08:06 PM
There is also St. Joes state park in park hills missouri, it's got sand dunes and trail riding, its a little hike but its worth it.

JimmyHoffa
07-21-2008, 08:11 PM
I ride there pretty often. I have a "spare bike" (POS Honda Recon) that I let my nOOb friends ride there, because it's easy terrain for the most part. I'm actually a secret track junkie, so it's really nice to hear about wade road and potawatomi having MX stuff, however feeble the tracks are. Don't get me wrong, St. Joes is definitely a hot spot, but I'm just looking for new stuff. Too bad those surveys St. Joe's passed out a bit ago didn't result in a track... Poo-pooh.

I'd be REALLY happy to hear about any way I could exploit Rolla riding territory. Thanks, man.

JimmyHoffa
07-21-2008, 08:15 PM
There were actually some guys at the dealership in Rolla trying to hook me up, I think because I was knowledgeable. I walked in there and casually asked for a crankshaft seal, indicating that I had completely disassembled my engine. I started joking with the shop tech about some destroyed jug somebody brought in, and we started talking about places to ride. I think one of the owners has a private mini-track and some land, but I never followed through with it. I regret it now. I'll try again when I go back in August.

HmF300ex
07-21-2008, 08:21 PM
Ye St.Joes is really easy terrain for the most part, if you gotta fast quad I would definitely suggest taking a weekend there, lots of playing around in the sand there, pretty heavy mud in the winter and if you have a lifted quad there's some hilly terrain to play on, nuthin crazy though.

JimmyHoffa
07-21-2008, 08:33 PM
If you've never been, you'll be fascinated.

Biggest area I've ever been to. I wish it was like the olden days when there were those reeeeDONKulous sand cliffs that people always fell off of... Oh well. No more of that until a flood of biblical proportions blows through our area to cut new canals.

I'm trying to make a plow for the Recon with some diamond plate I found so I can make my own ramps in creative locations. I'm responsible for many of the sand piles at Joe's, but I need a way to make gargantuan launch ramps... The "friends of St. Joe's" dozer built an outrageous step down once, and I got to hit it on my 400ex, but then someone mashed it down.

airmobile101
07-21-2008, 10:04 PM
How about Wa****a in Farmington? I think the web is: www.wa****aoffroadtrails.com/

Ive been to Wa****a when it opened a few years back.Its cool.It has a mx track and trails.So you get best of both worlds.

Or, there is a place in Salem, MO called"flat nasty"

www.flatnasty.net/

Flat Nasty is mainly a 4x4 truck place,but they are working on bringing ATV venues there.You can ride there. I think the the guys name is Paul that runs it.Check the web address for details.

airmobile101
07-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Oh goody!!! Curse word filter!!!

Try this W-A-S-H-I-T-Aoffroadtrails

JimmyHoffa
07-21-2008, 10:14 PM
Wa****a is actually the reason my a-arms are off right now, my brake rotor is bent, and why I spent 43 dollars on a can of color match paint. Honestly, I'd go back any time. The view from the lookout was awesome. If the guy would face the jumps, the track would be pretty wicked sweet. Soooo... yes. I have ridden there. I agree. Pretty awesome. Almost as awesome as the forum bleeping out the middle of our words.

I am the ambassador of peace!

Tie your *** up in the stable and come have dinner.

ahem. Okay. I'm done.

Flat nasty looks cool. I just had a quick research session. Might check it out. I'll be willing to drive lots farther when I get my car to run on biodiesel, but I have to stay pretty close to home to afford riding at the moment.

JimmyHoffa
07-21-2008, 10:16 PM
mmmm...! The naughty word filter is smart. Sorta...

airmobile101
07-21-2008, 10:21 PM
Yea, it kinda takes the moderators out of the pic:D

moto50
07-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Finger Lakes is Racing quads after the bikes are done this weekend The track has been pretty awesome this year.

http://www.mxpracing.com/hot%20dog%20shootout%20flyer%5B1%5D.pdf

mod440ex
07-25-2008, 01:00 PM
chadwick mo is an awesome place to ride. they have campgrounds and shower houses. it is about 30 min east of springfield i believe. they have everything has far has trailriding goes. you will want to have some skids when you go there though. i think it costs about 5-7 dollars a day to ride or you can buy a 3 day pass.

InDaRed2
07-30-2008, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by JimmyHoffa
There were actually some guys at the dealership in Rolla trying to hook me up, I think because I was knowledgeable. I walked in there and casually asked for a crankshaft seal, indicating that I had completely disassembled my engine. I started joking with the shop tech about some destroyed jug somebody brought in, and we started talking about places to ride. I think one of the owners has a private mini-track and some land, but I never followed through with it. I regret it now. I'll try again when I go back in August.

You go to school in rolla? I go there and me and some buddies ride in mark twain national forest. Not the best but the trails go on forever. I just bought a kfx450 that ill be taking back to school with me in august.

JimmyHoffa
07-30-2008, 10:23 PM
Yeah. I go to MS&T for Mech. Engineering. I still live in the Residential College, but I have a buddy who has a house who will be keeping our bikes. There's about 4 of us (the real tight-knit hardcore group) that ride, and we all just so happen to enjoy the intense and rewarding study of designing crap. So, we all go to UMR. Errrrmmmm... make that MS&T. I vote we go on a continuing search and report back to each other if we find good places. I'm a track man, when I can be. No money to race much, I just enjoy running a good track. I'm down for anything, of course. We have a Facebook group called "Missouri S&T / UMR off-road atv / dirt bike riders" if your soul has been eaten by Facebook, as I'm sure it probably has.

I just got back from my Chadwick vacation (the reason for this thread) and I'd say the place is pretty wicked. It's even more wicked when you get a flat tire, your map melts in a thunderstorm, you get lost for 4 hours in the abovementioned rain, and your dad's dirt bike runs out of gas 5 miles from nowhere and has to get towed.

JimmyHoffa
07-30-2008, 10:27 PM
Welcome to the forums, by the way. I'm assuming that's the KFX450r quad... not the bike, right?

If you lack tools, me and my friends have enough for a complete teardown of anything you could possibly own and would help you out on weekends if you need it. Half of us have been through enough engines to lose count of them, and the other half are more than competent.

InDaRed2
07-31-2008, 07:51 AM
Sweet, me and my friends have been looking for some more people to go riding with at school.

Yeah, I got the KFX450r quad, not the bike. My two roomates both have bikes though, klx 300 and YZ 250. We'll be living off campus this year so we'll have a place to store crap finally. (lived in the RC our first two years)

Tools are plenty for us as well and we have a big garage at our house if you guys would need the room to work on stuff. I joined your facebook group too by the way.

mod440ex
07-31-2008, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by InDaRed2
You go to school in rolla? I go there and me and some buddies ride in mark twain national forest. Not the best but the trails go on forever. I just bought a kfx450 that ill be taking back to school with me in august.

those kfx450 are sweet rides. i have had mine since may of 07 and have not been dissapointed yet.

JimmyHoffa
07-31-2008, 10:41 AM
I'm assuming that's Chris with the Klx? if so, I know him decently well.

InDaRed2
07-31-2008, 11:22 AM
Yeah, its chris with the klx.

You guys planning on riding any time soon? I should have my bike back from the shop by this weekend and im wanting to go riding.