PDA

View Full Version : Where to find hardened rockers?

jarens024
07-15-2008, 01:42 PM
Anyone know where to find hardened rocker arms for a 2001 400ex? I would prefer to purchase them outright without having to worry about a core. If anyone know of a place to send mine out to get hardened, I would appreciate any info.
Web Cams is the only place I have found so far.

Thanks in advance!

XR650
07-15-2008, 05:12 PM
yea Web, dont know anyone else that does it, you'll have to send cores or you will pay way too much, I think they are already around $60 each with a core, without it's simply crazy pricing.

I've run my drag motors with Web's hardened rockers, and have run them without, and I run some big cams. No notice in wear difference either way, Honda oem's are hardened already I assume, they are not gonna use some mild steel in a part like that.

400exrider707
07-15-2008, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by XR650
yea Web, dont know anyone else that does it, you'll have to send cores or you will pay way too much, I think they are already around $60 each with a core, without it's simply crazy pricing.

I've run my drag motors with Web's hardened rockers, and have run them without, and I run some big cams. No notice in wear difference either way, Honda oem's are hardened already I assume, they are not gonna use some mild steel in a part like that.

Hondas are not hardened, maybe a hardened coating, but not fully hardwelded.

What cam are you using?

Match the cam to the rockers, hard cam goes with hard rockers.

jarens024
07-16-2008, 07:46 AM
The cam is a web 479 grind. A 12/1 440 kit and that cam came with the quad brand new in a box when I bought it a couple months ago. I am heading to the dunes in the fall and want this kit in before I go.
It looks like Web is the only way to go then. I just did not think in the huge aftermarket world that no one else is selling hardened rockers.
Thanks for the help

400exrider707
07-16-2008, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by jarens024
The cam is a web 479 grind. A 12/1 440 kit and that cam came with the quad brand new in a box when I bought it a couple months ago. I am heading to the dunes in the fall and want this kit in before I go.
It looks like Web is the only way to go then. I just did not think in the huge aftermarket world that no one else is selling hardened rockers.
Thanks for the help

I didn't know anyone actually "sold" them. I think most motor builders do this on a customer basis. Call a motor builder, tell them you want hardened rockers, send them yours, then you get them back all hardwelded up! There aren't any hard faced aftermarket rockers to my knowledge.

Do you have heavy duty head studs and an HD cam chain while you're doing all this work?

jarens024
07-16-2008, 12:04 PM
I'm in the research stage right now and making my list.
I have a kibblewhite spring kit, new wiseco timing chain, shortened guides and so on. Finding the rockers were next on the list. I got a # from the local honda dealer for a machine shop. I'm gonna call them and see if they can help with the rockers. HD studs are not on the list yet. The plan is to build strong and reliable so HD studs is a good idea. Thanks.

blue_ex_rider
07-16-2008, 12:52 PM
curtis sparks can do the hardened rockers as well. I bleieve also maybe duncan racing might be able to do them.

blue_ex_rider
07-16-2008, 12:58 PM
they are 225.95 a set for the sparks if you send in tehj cores. And they are 65 a piece with the core from duncan. So i believe sparks would be cheaper

jarens024
07-16-2008, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by blue_ex_rider
they are 225.95 a set for the sparks if you send in tehj cores. And they are 65 a piece with the core from duncan. So i believe sparks would be cheaper

Just checked out the website. They are less expensive. Thanks blue ex!

blue_ex_rider
07-16-2008, 02:16 PM
no problem glad to help