PDA

View Full Version : Easiest way to get carb off?

Hondamaster5505
07-15-2008, 08:32 AM
Hey guys.

Im finally jetting mine, and going to take the carb off today to take to the dealer. (because the dealer needs the old jets to match up to some new ones, :rolleyes: )

So, before I go and start ripping at things to get to it, whats the easiest way to get to it and get it off?

Thanks in advance!

Hondamaster5505
07-15-2008, 09:10 AM
anyone?!?! i wanna get to work on it

NacsMXer
07-15-2008, 09:43 AM
Pull the seat off, and then remove the side panels to gain you some room. Take off the gas tank straps and then loosen up the hose clamps on either end of the carb. It's been a while since I dealt with a stock carb so I don't remember if you absolutely have to remove the gas tank to remove the throttle cable on top of the carb. Should be pretty simple once you get that off.

BigBore24
07-15-2008, 09:48 AM
ya nacsmxr is right, most manuals will tell you to take the front plastic and tank off but you dont need to. just take off the rear fenders and side panels. then unhook everything and loosen the jam nut for the cable, then pull the carb up and out enough that you can spin the carb to thread the cable ouit

Hondamaster5505
07-15-2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the tips guys, but since i didnt get an answer before i went ahead and did it already. But the front hose clamp screw wont loosen and its starting to strip.:mad:

NacsMXer
07-15-2008, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
Thanks for the tips guys, but since i didnt get an answer before i went ahead and did it already. But the front hose clamp screw wont loosen and its starting to strip.:mad:

Sounds like it's time to cut that sum bich off while you still can and replace it. I had my front clamp at the motor strip at the phillips head so bad...I hate those soft Honda screws! :mad: I had to drill into it, but it came out nice with a small easy-out.

Hondamaster5505
07-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
Sounds like it's time to cut that sum bich off while you still can and replace it. I had my front clamp at the motor strip at the phillips head so bad...I hate those soft Honda screws! :mad: I had to drill into it, but it came out nice with a small easy-out.

damnit. lol.

Its the one connect to the carb that keeps the carb and boot together.

I wish there was another way to get it off right now. Their screws do suck, the side allens on the side covers were stripping too but i got them out.

Honda#4
07-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Put a stainless steel hose clamp on problem solved. Thats what I did plus you can tighten them up alot more and use a socket instead of a dumb screwdriver.

Hondamaster5505
07-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Honda#4
Put a stainless steel hose clamp on problem solved. Thats what I did plus you can tighten them up alot more and use a socket instead of a dumb screwdriver.

I probably will. Thats the only thing left. Im still trying to figure out how to get it loose or undone:mad:

04TRX400EX
07-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Might I also recommend turning the gas tank switch to the "off" position and running the quad until it uses all of the gas from the carb and lines (should only run for a minute or so). That way, when you do pull the carb out, you won't be spilling fuel all over the place.

Honda#4
07-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Just curious as to why you wanna take the carb off when there no need too. If you get them clamps loose just turn the carb till you can get the main out.

07-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Honda#4
Just curious as to why you wanna take the carb off when there no need too. If you get them clamps loose just turn the carb till you can get the main out.

I was going to ask the same thing...

bcg717
07-15-2008, 02:23 PM
If you have a phillips head stripped, take a saw and cut a straight line across and you now have a flat head so you can take it out.

coryatver
07-15-2008, 02:30 PM
he said he had to take it to a dealer to "match up jets"

that is definitly not needed at all keihin jets are keihin jets

07-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
he said he had to take it to a dealer to "match up jets"

that is definitly not needed at all keihin jets are keihin jets

i was going to say that too, but with an added comment on the dealer he was going to take them too...

i know i can walk into my dealer and ask for a certain size jet for any honda atv and they will walk into the stock room and get it...or pull out their little "under the counter" jet box and get one from there...

Hondamaster5505
07-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
i was going to say that too, but with an added comment on the dealer he was going to take them too...

i know i can walk into my dealer and ask for a certain size jet for any honda atv and they will walk into the stock room and get it...or pull out their little "under the counter" jet box and get one from there...

thats what mine does, but the idiots there told me

"You need to bring in your jets so we can match them up"

He had a big box of jets. Before I take the carb off, ill make another attempt at the dealer.

UNBROKEN
07-15-2008, 05:28 PM
yea but u dont need to take ure carb of complety to get to the jets

440challenger
07-15-2008, 08:34 PM
not true, theres many different series of jets. The pilot jet that the 400 uses is a stubby version. theres also 3 different kinds of threads on the pilots. few different mains to and im just talking keihin.

The shop that told you to bring your jets in arent idiots, they want to make sure you get the right oens and not have to drive back to the shop becuase you got the wrong jet. Many people bring in carbs/ jets that arent stock for the bike/quad and they thought it was.

07-16-2008, 03:55 AM
so you are saying that the pilot jets that were in my 2000 400ex were different than what was in my 06 450r...and the mains were also?

Hondamaster5505
07-16-2008, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by speedyquad
so you are saying that the pilot jets that were in my 2000 400ex were different than what was in my 06 450r...and the mains were also?

They may or may not be.

440challeneger is right. I looked it up on jetsrus after he said that. Kehin has like 3 different main and 3 different pilot jets. Like different shapes and threads.

07-16-2008, 02:43 PM
that was a loaded question...the 400ex and my 06 450r w/fcr carb used the same pilots and main jets.

if you tell them that the jets are from a stock 400ex carb, then you should not have to take any jets in. you get jets for the carb you have, not the bike it is on. for instance, if you put a 450r carb on your 400ex, then you get jets from a 450r carb, if you are using the stock carb on your ex, then you get jets for he stock carb. if you are, forn any reason, running a dirt bike carb on your ex, then get jets for that bike...

i understand what he is saying and i know that keihin has different series of jets, but you should work smarter, not harder.

07-16-2008, 03:45 PM
i'll simplify:

i expect that when i walk into a dealership, they already know what i need when i ask for it. if they do not, i expect that they have the resources to find out very quickly.

but in the same breath, i, as a customer, also know what i need and if the part that they offer up is not correct, then i can make that determination.

for instance, and i am saying this as someone who has had a bad experience with colby from c&d racing. say i was a t work and had the jets laying on my workbench at home, so i could take them to the shop. but as i left work i realized that i left them at home instead of grabbing them in the morning before i left. now, i really need them tonigh. i don't have the time to go home and get them. i KNOW, that if i were to walk into colby's shop and ask him for a certain size jet for a 400ex, 450r, or what not, he would be able to just go to his jets and get me what i want. and if he weren't sure, i know he could easily find out. i may not agree with some of his business practices, but the man does know his parts and i would expect that from any dealership.

but like i said, i also know what the jet that i need looks like. so if he were to get me one of the other series jets, i would be able to tell him that it was the wrong jet.

so in hondamasters case, taking the jets out for the first time, is ok, but not for the dealers benefit. it benefits you.

Hondamaster5505
07-16-2008, 05:42 PM
already jetted her and got it running. ended up making a run to jersey today. I took the jets with me to match up.

I got the main jet at bergen honda. He didn't have a 150, so i got a 155. seems to run pretty good with it. I got it for free too, because since he didnt have the pilot he said just take it. he didnt charge anything.

so on the way home i stopped at penn argyl to get the pilot. Got the 42. went home and installed everything. runs really good, barely any popping now. it used to pop loud, now even if it does pop, which it really doesnt, its so quiet.

It also starts a lot easier.

so shes jetted and up and running. Might play with the fuel screw to completely emlimate popping. I also jetted it with the lid on, decided on that for the conditions i ride in

RaginRedneck
07-16-2008, 05:56 PM
When I was trying to take my carb off for the first time, I spun the bolt in the front clamp several times before I realized that the nut on the back side was spinning....not quite sure which jackass came up with this design, but I just had to reach over the frame, come in from back side and put my finger on the nut.

This may not be your issue, but it kind of pissed me off when I figured out what was going on.

BigBore24
07-16-2008, 08:50 PM
yeah i hate them phillips head clamps. you hardly ever see one that isnt stripped or broken. whats worse than that is that yamaha use to use (dont know if they still do or not) phillips head bolts to hold on engine side covers and stuff. what kinda idiot came up with that idea. "man i really wanna tear into this engine but all i have is this screwdriver"

BigBore24
07-16-2008, 08:51 PM
oh and speedy i def agree. any atv shop aftermarket or dealer thats worth a crap knows what kinda jets to sell ya for what quad

NacsMXer
07-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by BigBore24
yeah i hate them phillips head clamps. you hardly ever see one that isnt stripped or broken. whats worse than that is that yamaha use to use (dont know if they still do or not) phillips head bolts to hold on engine side covers and stuff. what kinda idiot came up with that idea. "man i really wanna tear into this engine but all i have is this screwdriver"

Haha, so true :p I remember first seeing that stupid design on Yamaha Banshee motors and thinking how much it would suck to deal with those :scary:

Hondamaster5505
07-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
Haha, so true :p I remember first seeing that stupid design on Yamaha Banshee motors and thinking how much it would suck to deal with those :scary:

they actually arent as bad. better than the hondas clamps, lol.

they usually come undone, and if tthey dont, one tap of a hammer loosens em right up