PDA

View Full Version : Fox Shocks or???

Keystone_Rider
07-15-2008, 01:16 AM
I'm shopping for new shocks for my 08 LTR450 Quadracer and seems alot of the pros and serious weekend riders use the Fox shocks. I do alot of riding at a local MX track and trail riding. I'm serious about getting these shocks, but going to hold off till I get some feedback from you guys and go from there on my decision. By the way, I'm 230lbs so I don't know if that will be an issue with the Fox shocks. I'm not a big fan of bottoming out after a big jump. My stock suspension barely keeps me from doing that and it's already dialed in pretty hard.

440ex2001
07-15-2008, 12:48 PM
just take the shocks off and weld in some 2 foot steel rods.

sideways
07-15-2008, 12:55 PM
if you have the money, it may be worth while to look into the fox floats/evols. supposedly, they never bottom out. i've never hit bottom with mine. (tho i'm only 170lbs) they give a pretty good ride, soak up the same as a triple rate, pretty much with the same progressive damping.

Keystone_Rider
07-15-2008, 02:24 PM
Hey sideways, that is what I heard about the Fox Evol's. I just hope they are good as they claim and can handle my weight. Thanks for your input.

sideways
07-15-2008, 05:03 PM
there is truth behind the statement too. the shocks are air filled, and rely on the air instead of a spring for damping. you can compress air so much before it decompresses, thus the bottomless feeling of the shocks.

TRX450RACER174
07-16-2008, 11:01 PM
I am in the 205 to 215 range and my floats are awesome if you get some you will not be disapointed.

Keystone_Rider
07-17-2008, 09:29 PM
Thanks guys, I'm definitely going to get a set of fox float evols. All i need was a few guys to vouch for them. Thanks again.:)

Keystone_Rider
07-17-2008, 09:31 PM
on another note, are you guys vouching for the rear shock too? Or do you all use something else besides Fox Evols?

sideways
07-17-2008, 09:37 PM
i have elka dual rate remote ressy in the rear. very nice shock, although i don't have a lot of ride time on other shocks,

Keystone_Rider
07-17-2008, 11:08 PM
what's the difference between the stock rear suspension and the Elka's dual rate shocks? I'm hearing about dual rates and triple rates and i have no clue what it's about. I used to ride all the time 10-15 years ago when two strokes ruled, but shock technology came a long way and i recently just got back into the "dirt world of quads". I'm playing catch up and just want to spend my money on the best mods, but have no clue where to start.

sideways
07-18-2008, 07:25 AM
main difference is the "spring rates" in elka's dual rate shock, they have a larger diameter main spring, and on top of that is a smaller smaller diameter secondary spring.
basically the way it works is the small spring absorbs small impacts, and the large spring absorbs large impacts. it gives you a much better ride than a stock single spring shock, which results in better control and faster riding. the same thing for a tripple rate, but there are 3 stages of springs to absorb impacts instead of 2.
go on elka's web site and look at the pictures, you will see the difference right away. ride on dual or triple rate and you will never go back to single rate.

TRX450RACER174
07-18-2008, 10:42 AM
I also have a Fox Podium rear shock and it is also very nice but any quality rear shock and link will work for you.

Keystone_Rider
07-18-2008, 12:28 PM
alright guys, thanks for all the help on the shocks and telling me what the differences were on dual and triple rates. I appreciated all the help. happy and safe riding:cool:

jherbie28
07-20-2008, 11:53 AM
the fox floats are the best shocks ive ever owned and there customer service is awsome too.

WORCSYFZ199
07-20-2008, 03:41 PM
I have not had any good experience with the FOX shox that I put on my LTR, I have an 07 and just replaced the stock shocks with the FOX DSC Evols and Podium X on the rear and they just have not worked well for me at all, they may be ok for MX but they don't work well for any kind of offroad racing, I've tried adjusting them, getting them revalved and nothing would work for them, they just don't work like the Elka's and Axis shocks I've ridden before. Plus if you race in any other places with different temperatures you need to check and change your air pressure every time. As far as bottoming the Evol fronts do feel nice on jump landings and don't seem to bottom, however the Podium X shock bottoms hard, especially if you are heavier (I weigh 190) and my bro weighs 240 and they put the same spring on it for both of us (250 lb) spring, for me it ended up working ok after a revalve, but my bro's didn't work to well and even with the revalve and heavy spring it still bottoms, so if you get it make sure they put the HEAVY spring on for you or else it will bottom out. Also they do try hard for customer service, but if you're having problems with the shocks themselves they act like it's your fault because so many people "love" their shocks so they kind of have a "holier than thou" attitude when you deal with their customer service. All I know is on my next bike I will definitley not be looking for FOX shocks and actually if a bike I want to get has them it's kind of a deterrant.

Warnerade
07-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by WORCSYFZ199
I have not had any good experience with the FOX shox that I put on my LTR, I have an 07 and just replaced the stock shocks with the FOX DSC Evols and Podium X on the rear and they just have not worked well for me at all, they may be ok for MX but they don't work well for any kind of offroad racing, I've tried adjusting them, getting them revalved and nothing would work for them, they just don't work like the Elka's and Axis shocks I've ridden before. Plus if you race in any other places with different temperatures you need to check and change your air pressure every time. As far as bottoming the Evol fronts do feel nice on jump landings and don't seem to bottom, however the Podium X shock bottoms hard, especially if you are heavier (I weigh 190) and my bro weighs 240 and they put the same spring on it for both of us (250 lb) spring, for me it ended up working ok after a revalve, but my bro's didn't work to well and even with the revalve and heavy spring it still bottoms, so if you get it make sure they put the HEAVY spring on for you or else it will bottom out. Also they do try hard for customer service, but if you're having problems with the shocks themselves they act like it's your fault because so many people "love" their shocks so they kind of have a "holier than thou" attitude when you deal with their customer service. All I know is on my next bike I will definitley not be looking for FOX shocks and actually if a bike I want to get has them it's kind of a deterrant.

You must have gotten a bad apple for a rear shock then, or bought a used one and got one of the first batches. When the fox rear first came out it sucked...I just got one over the winter and its honestly the most impressive rear shock (along with my front DSC's) that I have ever ridden on without a doubt. I weigh around 200 lbs in gear and have literally, launched off of some jump faces, overshoot jumps by a lot...and have puckered up because im used to such a harsh landing on my elkas...only to land decently smooth for how bad it coulda been.

WORCSYFZ199
07-20-2008, 11:24 PM
yeah I thought so me and my bro both had similar problems and all on both bikes, idk what it is but both of us are not fans of Fox anymore that's for sure

TRX450RACER174
07-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by WORCSYFZ199

I agree with getting a bad shock or maybe misinformation when the shock was ordered i weigh 225 and my shock is awesome my buddy weighs 265 and he bottoms my shock on big flat landings that i don't but i just think that you got the wrong setup. As far as air pressure adj that takes no longer to check the p.s.i. in the shocks than it does to check the tires thats just part of pre-race setup that should be done anyways. My .02

Keystone_Rider
07-22-2008, 01:27 AM
hmmm.... i'm still pretty sure i'm going to get the fox evols for the front, and maybe a dual rate or triple rate for the back. I love riding the MX tracks and need shocks all around to handle the landing punishment, but i also ride woods and there are not too many jumps like on a mx track, but it's bumpy and rocky. If i get the triple rate shock, it might be like riding a tank with no suspension, right? any suggestions?

Warnerade
07-22-2008, 01:29 AM
anything will be better than your current stockers...

in my opinion, and a LOT of other opinions on this site...Fox is the way to go.

Keystone_Rider
07-22-2008, 02:19 AM
Warnerade, i notice you got a 08 quadracer too, what is your suspension set up and is it for MX or trail (GNCC)? I'm trying to get an idea for a set up especially for a Quadracer.

Warnerade
07-22-2008, 02:20 AM
Fox and walsh...setup for MX...rides like a cadillac