PDA

View Full Version : what do i have to do to convert my roll design lobo 250r chassis for crf 450

yzhybrid450
07-15-2008, 12:09 AM
let me know guys i have a complete roll design lobo 330r and im looking to put in a crf any suggestions would be great its a 03 i got it from doc bones post pics if you can thx ....

Groves187
07-15-2008, 01:15 AM
I am prety sure that the motor and swinger will need to come forward to clear the bottom back rail in the chassis, Then you will need a longer swinger 86-87 STD (i think thats it) for the bike to handle good (MX setup). You cant just move the motor forward ether. It will have a ton of chain torque and you will be putting new chains on about every ride.

hontrx265r
07-15-2008, 08:05 AM
I know my opinion means nothing to you, But I would seriously re consider chopping up that chassis those are very rare, and one of the best R chassis ever built. Conversion hybrids are not worth nearly as much as ones that were built for the motors, so you'll be throwing away a killer chassis (that won't be worth much cash in the end). Also because they have alot of extra support up front I'm not sure how easy it would be to do in that chassis. Just pick up a used one 700-1000 bucks and save that gem of a 330 that was doc's

Groves187
07-15-2008, 09:41 AM
I kinda agree with hontrx265r. Not because its a Roll chassis, But becuase you kinda gotta cut it up a little to make it all work. and it wont have the same value because its not a Hybrid chassis.

Groves187
07-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Here is a link that has some info about putting a YZ426F motor in a 250r chassis.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=305979&highlight=250R

250Renvy
07-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Are you a welder/fabricator?

I ask because even though I'm hardcore against destroying 250R chassis' to put 4 strokes in them I know from experience that unless you are a professional fabricator, most times it ends up being more work and turns out like junk in the end.

If you just have the frame, I'm sure you could sell it and find an already built complete machine for not much more.

But to answer your question, the Roll design frame is the worst frame to try to put a fourstroke in. The design doesn't leave much space for a big motor, nor do the front frame rails allow for good pipe fitment. You would likely have to chop them and replace them, possibly compromising frame integrity. The Roll swingarm will have to be heavily modified to allow for the motor to be mounted through it.

The position of the gussets and the No-link setup will make carb clearance a major issue which you may not be able to overcome.

I'd seriously reconsider before throwing your money away. To get it done right will cost anywhere from $500 to $1000 which makes it more worthwhile to buy a frame built already.

rob-u/21
07-16-2008, 01:01 PM
I just bought a full roll 250r from a friend of mine yesterday. At first my plan was to put a 450 motor in it but once I began to look at it, it does seem like a whole lot of work and I dont want to mess with this piece of art.

stocktires
07-16-2008, 11:06 PM
I'm on the same page. I love my hybrid, but I would not hack up a Lobo chassis just for a CRF when you already have a 330. If your racing, you can only run open classes anyway, correct?

yzhybrid450
07-18-2008, 02:06 PM
yeah i can prolly just trade it for a nice hybrid anyways this thing is the nicest most well built machine i have ever seen so i should have no problems getting rid of it its hard for me to ride a 2 stroke but i may be getting used to it idk ???

jersey flip
03-25-2009, 08:22 PM
my uncle has a lobo with a 08 crf motor in it. this bike was 6 years in the making. he got it from doug roll as a half done ktm swap and wound up sending it back to have it fittted for the honda motor. the dirt bike engine fit good exept for the swingarm. doug had to re design the whole thing. (and will not do another) *****... this is by far one of the nicest bikes i have ever dreamed of. DONT TRY IT YOURSELF ! ill post some pics so you can check it out

GOTFEAR
03-25-2009, 10:06 PM
Hey its the best thing ever i love mine i have a lsr no link convert it to a crf man i was cornering good with the 250r motor but now this thing is a rocket in the corners I can do the mod for you take me about two weeks you wont be disappointed

racerx573
03-26-2009, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by jersey flip
my uncle has a lobo with a 08 crf motor in it. this bike was 6 years in the making. he got it from doug roll as a half done ktm swap and wound up sending it back to have it fittted for the honda motor. the dirt bike engine fit good exept for the swingarm. doug had to re design the whole thing. (and will not do another) *****... this is by far one of the nicest bikes i have ever dreamed of. DONT TRY IT YOURSELF ! ill post some pics so you can check it out

I wanna see this thing.

C41Xracer
03-26-2009, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by racerx573
I wanna see this thing.

x2

05LSR250R
03-26-2009, 06:50 AM
Please dont chop up that ROLL! :huh :huh :huh :huh

Flyin_250r
03-26-2009, 07:47 AM
I dont know what is done to the chassis, but i do know the lobo hes talking about was parted out on ebay a little while ago. Hopefully whoever bought it kept the R engine in it.....

laeger2fiddyr
03-26-2009, 03:52 PM

I wanna c this thing!!!!!!

jersey flip
03-26-2009, 08:07 PM
you might know him if you run district 6 mx his name is ron ranck .hes old now but back in the day he was fast. ill try to get some pics soon its not 100 % done yet still you ll get the point

ALAMX37
04-02-2009, 04:36 PM

Pics or gtfo.

jrspawn
04-02-2009, 06:33 PM
you might know him if you run district 6 mx his name is ron ranck .hes old now but back in the day he was fast. ill try to get some pics soon its not 100 % done yet still you ll get the point

I know of ron. I know he has a roll 250r, but never heard from him or anyone else he has a roll crf450 quad.

jersey flip
04-13-2009, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by jrspawn
I know of ron. I know he has a roll 250r, but never heard from him or anyone else he has a roll crf450 quad.

yea he doesnt talk about it much because its not 100% yet, but if you know ron you know hes gona do it right. his bikes are the ****. id say a few more weeks and it will be done.

jjones60
04-22-2009, 10:03 PM
I don't know how much help I would be to anyone on this, but last fall I bought a Roll Frame that has a CRF450R in it. It was originally built for Keith Little to run TT w/a 250R engine. The 450 conversion was done two or three years back, before I even knew this quad existed. If anyone needs a specific photo or measurement off the frame, just let me know. Here's a link to some pics I have from the day I bought it that are posted on flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16899188@N07/