PDA

View Full Version : 300 feet.

01exrider 281
07-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Ok, my neighboor has been telling me about is lt500r. He is telling me how fast it is and all this. From what I heard they aren't all that fast but they had a ton of power. Anyway, he wants to build a dirt drag quad. and where we do the dirt drags it is 4 wheel 250 2 stroke open. and i told him to buy a banshee and do a few things to it. But he wants to but a LT500r. He is not talking big engine mods just pipe, reeds, and little stuff. Also he wants to do a +8 swing arm. If you had a banshee with the same general mods pipe, filter, reeds, and such, what do you think is a better quad for what he wants to use it for which is agian 300ft dirt drags?

Hondamaster5505
07-15-2008, 11:15 AM
I really don't know what to say to this one.

The quadzilla is like the 2-stroke ds650. Lots of power but pretty big and heavy. Banshee's are on the lighter side.

The 500 makes 51hp stock. A mildy modded banshee without porting, makes maybe 50hp if it's tuned spot on.

The type of power is also different. The quadzilla is like a 4-stroke with a powerband. where the banshee has an awesome top-end.

personally, I think the banshee would be better for drags. Lighter weight, and if you get it drag ported, with just other bolt ons, you can get into the high 60's easily. Hell, they make 771cc kits for the banshee, lol.

The 500 would probably be in the same range maybe a little higher with the porting, but a lot heavier.

Look into a j-arm frame banshee for drag racing. They're 14lbs lighter than the a-arm frames.

01exrider 281
07-15-2008, 12:40 PM
yea. but he is stuck on this 500 that they will do 110 stock. know they dont do that from factory. he dosnt want to really dump tons of money into it. just some little bolt ons. idk i would rather have a banshee personally bc they are alot newer. but we will see if he gets one. i want to race him on my 83 GS 750 which is a bike set up for dirt drags. but we will see.

98banshee
07-16-2008, 04:58 PM
yah i would go banshee, lt500 parts seem hard to find. ive been looking around lately for parts and they are scarce. banshee parts will be around for a long time to come.

NickG5755
07-17-2008, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
I really don't know what to say to this one.

The quadzilla is like the 2-stroke ds650. Lots of power but pretty big and heavy. Banshee's are on the lighter side.

quadzilla is heavier that a banshee by 10 lbs...go running for a week and eat right and you just made up that difference.

and the zilla revs faster becasue there is less rotating mass.

Id go with the zilla , mod for mod it'll beat a shee. The only problem is keeping it together..

zilla with Pipe reeds milt porting and a plus 8 swinger and a tooth or 2 bigger up front will flat out haul.

07-18-2008, 09:40 AM
the club cheeta banshees and stuff with the 4 mil stroker flat out haul lol

Hondamaster5505
07-18-2008, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
the club cheeta banshees and stuff with the 4 mil stroker flat out haul lol

Thats only the beginning:)

22mil strokers, 771 DMX Cheetah kits, 10mil strokers

the possibilitys are endless, lol.

If you want to go flat out nuts, K&T make a tripple cylinder banshee engine. 225hp.

NickG5755
07-18-2008, 07:37 PM
yooo dingleberries. he ssaid "He is not talking big engine mods just pipe, reeds, and little stuff"

so your multi thousand dollar projects are outta the question haha...

Hondamaster5505
07-18-2008, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by NickG5755
yooo dingleberries. he ssaid "He is not talking big engine mods just pipe, reeds, and little stuff"

so your multi thousand dollar projects are outta the question haha...

lol, i know. But foxhonda mentioned the 4mil, and i just figured id say thats not even close the what its capable of.

they can be beasts!

Dinner
07-18-2008, 11:28 PM
He is better off leaving the swing-arm stock, or maybe a +1 or +2. There is no point going with a +8 with only pipe, reeds and filter. Yes it will keep his front end down, but his traction will suck and he will probably end up loosing majority of the races...

I would keep the stock length swingarm and practice launching, leaning forwards then moving back, etc. before doing anything with the swingarm. But if he wants to extend it, I personally wouldn't go more than a +2.

NickG5755
07-19-2008, 10:26 AM
id go plus 4... i think anything less i think youll still be wheeliein.

01exrider 281
07-19-2008, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Dinner
He is better off leaving the swing-arm stock, or maybe a +1 or +2. There is no point going with a +8 with only pipe, reeds and filter. Yes it will keep his front end down, but his traction will suck and he will probably end up loosing majority of the races...

I would keep the stock length swingarm and practice launching, leaning forwards then moving back, etc. before doing anything with the swingarm. But if he wants to extend it, I personally wouldn't go more than a +2.

yea i told him to use a wheelie bar then the rear wheels would be under him more which means more tracion right? but he is"knows" everything kind of guy. and i know he is not going to need much if anything with just a pipe and reeds etc. with the practicing lauching. his son will probobly ride it. he is 13. which i dont think he will have the balls or the brains to bring it out if they are what i hear they are. he is the type to just dump the clutch. i told him i bet 100 bucks i can bring it out with out a wheelie and he told me i couldnt so i guess if he gets one we will see. i just get a kick out of how he thinks these things are all that when he has never seen one. he goes by everything his dad say and nothing else. also thanks for the replies guys.

Dinner
07-20-2008, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by 01exrider 281
yea i told him to use a wheelie bar then the rear wheels would be under him more which means more tracion right? but he is"knows" everything kind of guy. and i know he is not going to need much if anything with just a pipe and reeds etc. with the practicing lauching. his son will probobly ride it. he is 13. which i dont think he will have the balls or the brains to bring it out if they are what i hear they are. he is the type to just dump the clutch. i told him i bet 100 bucks i can bring it out with out a wheelie and he told me i couldnt so i guess if he gets one we will see. i just get a kick out of how he thinks these things are all that when he has never seen one. he goes by everything his dad say and nothing else. also thanks for the replies guys.

Yuppers. If all he is doing are those mods and running it like that. I would keep the stock swinger and then see if he wants to maybe build some sort of wheelie bar. There isn't much point of moving to even a +2 swinger with those mods, unless he is climbing hills where the added length is needed. I could see a +2 or something if he was running more power. And yes the longer the swing-arm, the less traction since the quads and your body mass are no longer above the axle.

NickG5755
07-21-2008, 01:57 PM
but when you are wheeliing all your weight is being supported in one place...the back tires

Dinner
07-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by NickG5755
but when you are wheeliing all your weight is being supported in one place...the back tires

You don't want to be pulling a wheelie, nor hardly even lifting the front tires of the ground when you are drag racing. Once your front tires come off the ground enough for you to let off, the race will be lost.

This is the thing when you get into drag racing, specially on dirt . If he wants to run fast on dirt drags. He should see how the quad lunches with the stock length swinger and just those simple mods. If he is able to lean forward at the start, and once moving lean back onto the rear of the seat, without pulling a wheelie. I wouldn't be too concerned about going to a + swinger. You also just can't dump the clutch either and aspect to win that way.

If he was racing on pavement, that would be a different story, but for dirt, and with just pipes, filter and reeds. He should try to stick with the shortest swinger possible (probably stock) so he is able to get the most traction he can.