View Full Version : wholeshot tires

crazy_jeremy
07-14-2008, 09:36 PM
What are the pros and cons of wholeshot tires?

crazy_jeremy
07-15-2008, 01:05 AM
sorry for the mispelling, I meant to say,"holeshot" tires. What I'm trying to get at is, what is the pros and cons of the holeshot tires compared to Razrs or any other good tires out there. Any suggestions? I ride mostly woods and occasionally ride MX track at Breezewood Proving grounds. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Keystone_Rider
07-15-2008, 01:21 AM
you don't need any rubber tires. just ride on the rims and you will do fine. probably win races that way too. Just make sure you only have one lug nut on per rim and keep it figer tight only!! Best fatherly advice I ever can give you. Good luck!:devil:

crazy_jeremy
07-15-2008, 01:24 AM
that sounds like a good idea!! i might take the rubbers off now and go ride like that. wish me luck!

Keystone_Rider
07-15-2008, 01:36 AM
Oh yeah, don't forget to take off the oil drain plug and leave it off. Don't worry about the slick stuff spilling out, it's normal. It's all part of your tire/rim modification.:D

Honda4life05
07-16-2008, 08:15 PM
i'm also gonna do that mod to my quad!! it should go faster due to the loss in weight!!.

woodsracer882
07-16-2008, 09:46 PM
Depending the type of track you ride on most. Most of the tracks in my area are loose dirt so I like the holeshot mxr-6...they seem to hook up a little better than the razr. The razr slides a lil easier though. Hope this helps.

crazy_jeremy
07-16-2008, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the help woodsracer882. the information that u gave me helped me dicide wich one i should go with. but im still thinkin

thanks much:D

woodsracer882
07-16-2008, 10:57 PM
I posted that mainly for the mx tires..I run razr2 fronts and ITP gncc's in the back for my woods set-up.

04TRX400EX
07-17-2008, 11:53 AM
I do not like Maxxis tires and will therefore recommend against buying any Razr tires ... personal opinion.

Because you ride woods mostly, look at the ITP Holeshot GNCC. It is designed for woods/trail use and performs very well. Because of the tread pattern, I think it would do pretty well at the track as well.

Your other option is to go with the Kenda Klaws - they are similar in performance to the ITP's but have a reversible tread pattern so you can flip the rears, which is supposedly better suited for softer terrain (ex. MX tracks). I am going to try out that claim this weekend and see if it really makes a difference.

woodsracer882
07-17-2008, 03:15 PM
I forgot about the kenda klaws...I've run them on mx and loved them,never run the woods klaws though

07-17-2008, 03:26 PM
Razrs are my favorite tire, I just love how predictable they are. Great traction and easy to slide when you want it to. I havent had much experience with holeshots but I go by others bad experiences with them. A couple of guys all wanted to try the holeshots so they all bought them. Their statement was "I cant wait till these wear down so i can buy Razrs and get rid of the junk sitting on my wheels now" I dont know what it was but they all hated them, but there are people that love them too. So I think its a lot of oppinion and where you ride, for the rear tires I love the Maxxis Razr and for the front I love the Kingstire Slasher. I like my tires to perform well and wear slow.

Honda4life05
07-17-2008, 04:05 PM
I deff wouldnt buy holeshot gncc front or rear unless you have alot of money to blow. They hook up real well but wear down REALLY fast.The holeshot h-d are good woods tires and last a while but the downside is the weight, their the heaviest holeshot tire i believe.

Drewltr450
07-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Kenda Klaw r the best tires made hands down. ITP's wear to fast and maxxis slides around like crazy. my kendas wear very slowly and hook up very well in anything. and they also have a flipable tread patter.

BlaineKaiser450
07-17-2008, 09:33 PM
I personally like the Maxxis Razr Mx tires but they dont hook up on blue grooved and wet conditions. Just groomed stuff.

ben_400ex
07-17-2008, 10:01 PM
I just got myself a set of holeshot XCR's I havent had a chance to try em out yet but they could be worth considering? anyone else use these?
I went with them because they have a similar tread pattern to the MXR's but i could get them in 20-22's which gives a bit more clearance for the trails.
I am also going to do a bit of trail and mx riding

07-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Drewltr450
Kenda Klaw r the best tires made hands down. ITP's wear to fast and maxxis slides around like crazy. my kendas wear very slowly and hook up very well in anything. and they also have a flipable tread patter.

idk what a brand new kenda tire is like but i rode some klaws and all they did was spin in the sand. I want to ride a brand new klaw to see how they do but i hate to waste money on a tire that i dont like

Honda4life05
07-17-2008, 11:35 PM
yah i just got holeshot xcr's..they do wear a little quick but they hook up so well for bein just holeshots but i rode in hard packed dirt an little pieces of the tread broke off on the edges.they are really light also..

supraloud84
07-18-2008, 05:39 AM
I have the holeshot xc's on the rear of my machine and I hate them. They fel very wobbly on hard pack and gravel. Ive also noticed that they tend to way overslide. I'm in the process of trying to decide what to go with now. I am leaning towards the razr2s as it stands now.

ccdhowell
07-18-2008, 06:56 AM
Been reading this thread with interest. I have a set of Pirelli Race Rail XC tires on my XC Raptor. The fronts are really good aren't wearing too quickly, very precise steering and light too. The rears are a different story. I can spin them far too easily anytime I want and often when I'm trying not to. Spinning is cool, but you'd like a tire that will hook-up when you want it to, the rear Pirelli Race Rail XC isn't that tire. They also overslide in corners. There's got to be something better out there.

I recently bought a set of 22" Kenda Knarly XC tires for the rear of my Raptor, but haven't had a chance to ride or race them yet. They are certainly a big tire and good looking, hope they hook-up!

Chris

deathman53
07-19-2008, 04:44 PM
I don't like 03+ holeshot xcr's, I like the first year they had them(I beleive 02), low weight and great hook-up, nothing too crazy for oversliding. Also slow wearing, the set I have was used on a trx250r(for some time), atc250r, atc200x, trx450r for a few woods events and the tread is still excellent. Its ashame ITP doesn't make the original anymore. Lots of people like the razr's and they don't seam too much money either.

I now only do mx on my atv's/atc's, so its 18" tires. I'm using grooved and ungrooved turftamer, razr-cross and kenda knarly tires. Each tire has its own place, different tracks get klaw fronts or grooved radial fronts.

Honda4life05
07-19-2008, 06:09 PM
I wouldnt make them either if i was itp, the faster the wear the more they sell.

rustyATV
07-19-2008, 10:33 PM
My current setup on my 250R is Kenda 21" Klaw fronts and ITP Holeshot Sport Radials on the rear.

I went with Kendas up front to try to get a little bit more forward grip under the brakes over the Maxxis Razr/Razr II's that I've run before. They seemed to wander a bit more down rough trails, so I trimmed the outer rows of knobs and that appears to have help. The smaller 21's are more responsive in turning, but give me a bit rougher ride.

The Holeshot Sport Radials have much more grip than the Klaws do on the front, but on my two stroke, that seems to balance out while I'm on the throttle. They're softer and with the small grooves on the tread face they do show wear more quickly than the XCR's, but they didn't go too fast until I made the mistake of flat tracking with them, which made one wear in a hurry.

I've been pretty happy with this setup, just annoyed I wore one out. Also, they're all pretty cheap tires, I think at $65 a pop, if I remember.

k4f5x0r
07-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Drewltr450

you havent even rode on the kenda's yet. your quad is still in peices :p .

As for my say in this. after my tires wear down(stock kfx450 fronts and razr 4 ply rears) im gunna go for kenda's

the razrs are good tires. but the 4 ply's i noticed a nail in my tire the day i put them on. and then another one a few months later. i love using them on mud/wet soil. they hook up REALLY nice on this kind of terrain. they slide perfect but still grab foward.

i ride on mainly REALLY dry farm feilds and sand. i think the kenda's should grab alot better there. maybe ITP i havent truly made up my mind. but ill most likely go kenda since they are ALOT cheaper then maxxis and itp.

07-20-2008, 11:19 AM
I know Razr's hook up a lot better and slide better in sand than stock tires. I have Kingstire Slasher fronts and I love them, they handle a bit better than the Razrs and they last so long mine are hardly wornout at all yet they grip and everything. I havent tried the Kingstire rear but I know I like the Razr rear. 11" tires theres an extra inch of tread to bite and its a little more stable. My brother hasthe 4 ply and in the 1st month a sharp stump made a hle in his tire, patched it up and hasnt gotten anything since.

k4f5x0r
07-20-2008, 03:04 PM
i didnt mean that they were bad in the sand. they just arent as good as id like them to be. for our kind of riding i need a tire that grabbs good on REALLY packed sand and dirt and also loose sand. kenda's seem to fit that the best.

lt500rbigbore
07-24-2008, 10:18 PM
i usually like to run my quadzilla with maxxis hookwork bicycle tires gets you an extra 20km/h from the arrow dynamic and hooks up amazing on mx tracks

X-Factor
07-25-2008, 12:47 AM
For woods and trail the Kenda Knarly 21" also works great... exellent hook-up, long lasting and they are priced good.
For MX though Klaws will do.