PDA

View Full Version : What type of oil and filter!!!

jrsmith_80
07-14-2008, 01:56 PM
I know his has probably been beat to death on this thread but what type of oil do you guys use in your motor. Also what filter do you suggest as well. I tried to do a search for this stuff but came up with nothing for oil.

jeepthing07
07-14-2008, 02:32 PM
i haven't got my 400ex running yet but im going to use 20w50 belray oil and hiflo filtro filters

Brauap
07-14-2008, 02:46 PM
There has to be ATLEAST 10 polls on Air Filter threads!!!! :rolleyes:

jrsmith_80
07-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Sorry I guess I should have said oil filters.

07-14-2008, 04:54 PM
Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 15w - 50 oil and Fram oil filters. Both can be found at Walmart, Autozone, and usually Advance Auto (Advance Auto sometimes has the right oil, I used to use the 4 stroke motorcycle oil there when I couldnt afford much, they always have the Fram oil filter though)

leasureryan
07-14-2008, 05:17 PM
dude....you should seriously stop giving out info on what oil to use.....Moble 1 Synthetic is HORRIBLE!

In anything with a wet clutch....you should use ONLY motorcycle oil, which does NOT have molys in it....like Moble 1 syn DOES....molys and non detergents are BAD! use only a high quality detergent oil with API classification of SF or SG....or you can use a MOTORCYCLE oil that is synthetic like HP4 without moly.

10w-40 is recomended....but in the summer, you will run alot cooler using a 20w-50

cutting corners by going to Wal-Mart never got anyone anywhere. Anything you put in a car...should not be used in offroad apps.

Also.....don't belive everything that you hear on here....some people tend to talk out there *** alot! ***cough cough***

alex10
07-14-2008, 05:29 PM
Tusk oil filters and normal 20w-50 oil.

leasureryan
07-14-2008, 05:49 PM
lol....lol

I love how 90% of the people on here are quad pro's.....yet they can't even provide thier equipment with the proper oil....lol

lol....lol

07-14-2008, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by leasureryan
dude....you should seriously stop giving out info on what oil to use.....Moble 1 Synthetic is HORRIBLE!

In anything with a wet clutch....you should use ONLY motorcycle oil, which does NOT have molys in it....like Moble 1 syn DOES....molys and non detergents are BAD! use only a high quality detergent oil with API classification of SF or SG....or you can use a MOTORCYCLE oil that is synthetic like HP4 without moly.

10w-40 is recomended....but in the summer, you will run alot cooler using a 20w-50

cutting corners by going to Wal-Mart never got anyone anywhere. Anything you put in a car...should not be used in offroad apps.

Also.....don't belive everything that you hear on here....some people tend to talk out there *** alot! ***cough cough***

wow i dont even know what to say besides you have been misinformed somewhere along the line. There are 3 different kinds of mobil 1 synthetic that i know of. The one I bought does not have molybdelum! and is the exact same as my 4 stroke motorscycle oil besides being synthetic

my88r
07-14-2008, 08:02 PM
amsoil 20w-50

napa oil filter

NacsMXer
07-14-2008, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by leasureryan

You are over-generalizing things my friend. True, that SOME automotive oils should not be used in a motorcycle engine with a wet clutch but you can't make a blanket statement that ALL automotive oils should not be used.

The automotive oils to be avoided are the ones that contain moly/friction modifiers. If you look at the back of the bottle on these oils, look at the round symbol with the certification and will state: "Energy Conserving" like seen here

http://www.dansmc.com/starburst2.jpg

If it doesn't say "Energy Conserving" and is the correct viscosity for your motor, then you are good to go ;) I can't believe you just said Mobil 1 full synthetic is horrible :huh It is one of the best oils you can run in any type of motor. Full synthetics like Mobil 1 are better than conventionals, but what really matters in the end is how often you change your oil. Still, I like my oil to hold up to abuse and not break down with the heat, so I run Mobil 1 15w50 with the red label as seen here
http://www.mklsportster.com/mobil1.jpg

Next time you're at the store, look at the back of a regular bottle of Mobil 1 and then look at the back of Mobil 1 15w50 red label....notice it does NOT say "Energy Conserving". Not all automotive oils are created equal...even under the same brand name. There are plenty of automotive oils out there that are suitable for quads. Motorcyle-specific oil is simply a marketing gimmic that you have bought right into. Get your facts straight before you start calling people out :rolleyes:

AnDy7
07-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Amsoil 20w-50 and i just use the oil filter from honda

07-14-2008, 08:37 PM
NacsMXer thank you very much

400ex28
07-14-2008, 08:44 PM
ive just been runnin honda gn-4 with no problems.

nickm328
07-14-2008, 08:45 PM
honda hp4 20w-50 synthetic blend, and honda filter.

buster024
07-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Factory Honda Gn-4 and factory oil filters. Buy like 10 filters at a time. You will more than likely change them more often, if you have them available. Don't buy just one at a time.

400ex28
07-14-2008, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by 400ex28
ive just been runnin honda gn-4 with no problems.

honda filter also.,,,

coryatver
07-14-2008, 09:02 PM
Shaeffer 20w-50 synthethic. The guy that said only use motorcycle oil is very mislead. You should take your own advice about talking out your @$$. Usually the stuff that has a sticker on it that says motorcycle oil is garbage oil. You have been brainwashed into spending 4 times as much for a sticker and crap oil. Any filter is good you can get them for $2.50.

01exrider 281
07-14-2008, 10:00 PM
I would strongly recomend a factory oil filter. and also like another post said but a few at a time, it is so much more nicer. I have a 300ex and i run a factory oil filter and Golden Spectro 10w 40. never had a problem.

01exrider 281
07-14-2008, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
Shaeffer 20w-50 synthethic. The guy that said only use motorcycle oil is very mislead. You should take your own advice about talking out your @$$. Usually the stuff that has a sticker on it that says motorcycle oil is garbage oil. You have been brainwashed into spending 4 times as much for a sticker and crap oil. Any filter is good you can get them for $2.50.

i pay 2.75 factory honda oil filters at my dealer.

UNBROKEN
07-15-2008, 07:27 PM
the mobil one synthetic red cap like a few of u guys use is good oil but has a diffrent addditve pack then motorcycle oil and will not stay in grade as long as amsoil 20w50 mcv or other high quality synthetic motorcycle oil , with wet cluch aplication that share the same oil for the engine and tranny a regular car oil will lose viscosity and will not hold up in the condishions of a application of a wet cluch as well , but thats no big deal u just have to change it a little sooner,