PDA

View Full Version : cool idea to fix plasic...if it works!

mbellaver
07-14-2008, 01:23 PM
I've got a kawasaki mojave 250 I'm getting ready for my wife to ride. The rear plastic is broke in a couple of places. I came across this artice on fixing atv plastic. It looks feasable. Anyone have any comments.........

http://www.atvnation.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18024&pid=151141&st=0&#entry151141

07-14-2008, 02:15 PM
way to ghetto and crappy for me, I rather just buy all new plastics for $300 or a nice set of used even cheaper than rivet metal to my fenders and put fabric on them lol

mbellaver
07-15-2008, 06:09 AM
I appreciate your opinion, but you've oversimplified the project.... First, keep in mind that this is a spare machine that will be used by my wife maybe once or twice a month. Second, $300.00 isn't that much cash, but the bike itself is probably onlcy worth 300.00 the way it is.

The project doesn't end with streaching fabric over a piece of the body. That's actually where it begins. The next step is to use fiberglass resin to coat the fabric. This is a method that custom car shops use to create molded speaker enclosures and custom dashes. After the resin coat it can be sanded and painted. I've made a wakeboard tower speaker box using this method and it came out great......

http://bierbower.net/diytower/pdfs/FiberglassSpeakerBox.pdf

07-15-2008, 07:15 AM
if it were on an older quad or something not worth a lot I would go ahead and try it. Whats the final cost of it doing it that way?

mbellaver
07-15-2008, 07:26 AM
probably about a 15.00 bottle of fiberglass resin. The cost is low, but there is probably about a total of 8 hours and a big mess involved in the process. I was just wondering if anyone had tried something similar. The one problem that I forsee is that the fiberglass resin won't bond real good with the plastic and it migh delaminate. especially around the edges........

KAWIRYDER
07-23-2008, 08:48 PM
I wonder if you use a spray adhesive to put the material down if that might bond well. Sounds interesting though let us know how it turns out.