PDA

View Full Version : More Jetting Help!

ill_lil_romey
12-03-2002, 07:19 PM
If anyone remebers the last jetting help, I had just removed the choke and ground out the welds, and my ex was not idleing correctly and backfiring. Alot of you suggested a 40 or 42 slow jet, and turning the air screw 2.5 to 3 turns out. Iv'e done this and the idle is back to normal, or at least near normal. The only prob now is that when letting hard of the gas going into a corner the bike backfires!!!! What the Fizzey??:huh I am pretty sure that going up one notch on the needle and adding a 160 or 165 main would solve this problem, but I need some responses just to be sure.

jchevy
12-03-2002, 08:00 PM
Up one notch on the needle leans it out. Down a notch richens the mixture.

Wheelie
12-03-2002, 08:06 PM
Have you checked for exhuast leaks??

BTW---Lower the clip on the needle one notch and see how it runs before changing the main jet.

400ex99
12-03-2002, 08:28 PM
when i removed my choke, i went up to a 40 pilot jet and lowered the clip one notch which raises up the needle to richen it . it helped alot with my backfiring when i let off the gas. then i put a 42 and the backfiring quit. if your ok at wot, then i wouldnt mess with the main jet.
you can adjust the pilot screw to fine tune, in leans it out, out richens it, you may need to adjust your idle screw after you adjust the pilot screw.:blah

ill_lil_romey
12-04-2002, 07:01 AM
I keep regular maintainace on my bike, im pretty sure there are not exaust leaks, it's a jetting problem for sure, I'm just going to have to play with it for a lilttle while to get all the bugs worked out I guess.

QuadJunkies
12-04-2002, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by ill_lil_romey
I keep regular maintainace on my bike, im pretty sure there are not exaust leaks, it's a jetting problem for sure, I'm just going to have to play with it for a lilttle while to get all the bugs worked out I guess. Im just curious..what is your elevation where you live?? Im wondering for your your jetting...

ill_lil_romey
12-04-2002, 07:24 AM
4 feet below sea level!!!

QuadJunkies
12-04-2002, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by ill_lil_romey
4 feet below sea level!!! hmmm. well I guess I wont be much help there then..lol. Im at 5000sea level and run our 400ex jetting at 170..Good luck..;)

ill_lil_romey
12-04-2002, 07:35 AM
Thanks anyway, I'll get the whole thing under controll soon, I already have half of the problem fixed so the other half is just around the corner, a guy told me that the backfiring can cause pisoton damage, the only time I have been riding the past week is to deal with the jetting anyway, so I don't think I'm doing too much damage. Anyways that old 11:1 is about to go.