PDA

View Full Version : hey everone this is my first post but it is importaint

jenkins31
07-13-2008, 10:26 PM
k i have a 1998 300ex and the battery is dead on it so i have to push start it on a hill or with another bike so i changed the oil and filter about 3 weeks ago and it ran fine before i made this change but now when u push it will run while u r pushin it but when u stop or pull in on the clutch it stops runnin well it started the other day and white and blue smoke came out of the exaust but it was still runnin but u could only push the gas about 1/4 of the way and then it would almost start sputterin and it will only run about 25mph in 5 gear if that so i was wonderin if it could be a stuck or bent valve i really have no clue and really need some help i would like 2 fix it on my own if its not 2 bad so anything will help
thanx

bwamos
07-14-2008, 07:38 AM
First couple questions?

1) What type and weight of oil did you use?

2) Double check to make sure you installed the filter the proper direction. It is easy to install it backwards, which will not allow the oil to flow. One side of the oil filter is stamped "this side out".

jenkins31
07-14-2008, 11:08 AM
i used 10w-30 oil and i know 4 sure that the filter is on the right way do u think that it could be any thing else b/c im use 2 workin on the 300 fourtrax 4x4 and im not use to the racing bikes yet

bwamos
07-14-2008, 11:32 AM
The 1/4 throttle issue almost sounds like your main jet may have backed/vibrated out and fell off into the float bowl.

as noted in the PM. I'd reccomend a 10w40 "motorcycle oil" w/o the molys that can make your clutch slip.

Something is wonky.. not a normal.. bad rings, or valve seals issue.

Could be main jet fell out, Cam timing jumped a couple teeth, etc..

Honda5
07-14-2008, 12:18 PM
any chance it has too much oil in it?

jenkins31
07-14-2008, 02:22 PM
well i took the filter off and it was on the right way but i have one question r the filters the same on the 300 fourtrax 4x4 as the 300ex b/c that is what is in it now well the oil is a little above the full line so could that be possible and what would i have 2 do 2 check the other stuff u said in the post about the cam and the other thing

2003honda250
07-14-2008, 03:40 PM
(1 What type of oil did you use?

(2 Have you put in a jet kit or any other porformance inhancement?

(3 Check and make sure nothing is bent or broken or loose.

Tell me wht happens.:(

Drewltr450
07-14-2008, 06:11 PM
Take your carb off and fully apart clean it with carb cleaner and then it should fix your problem this happened on my tt-r90 and it would sputter at about 1/4 throttle and more and puff blue smoke. i cleaned the carb very well and it fixed it instantly.

jenkins31
07-15-2008, 02:39 PM
well the bike when i bought it had a wiseco racin piston and a jet kit but i didnt put it on my self my plans was 2 just by a new carb b/c all of the screw heads r striped out on my carb do u think that the new carb would fix wand i took the carb of today and last time the choke was on so i took it of and drained all of the gas out of it but it still woulnt run but what i dont get is when u push the bike it will run but when u stop pushing it or pull in on the cluch it stops so it dont know any ideas anyone

bwamos
07-15-2008, 03:01 PM
I'm a little confused.

Does it want to die when you give it more than 1/4 throttle.

Or when you go less than 1/4 throttle?

If less... then it is simply an idle issue. Can be either too rich or too lean.. or an air leak at the air boot, or a clogged pilot jet.

Leaving the choke on, would cause all kinds of poor running issues as well. ;) Doesn't want to idle.. sputters past 1/4 etc, puffs of smoke, etc...

jenkins31
07-15-2008, 03:14 PM
well when it started the other day it only made it 2 1/4 of the push but now it woulnt even start so i have no clue what it is any help anyone

big95xj
07-15-2008, 06:35 PM
Check your valves see how tight they are. I took mine apart and after i put it back it wouldnt start unless the starter was running then it would fire off. NO smoke though. I adjusted the valves to spec and boom! Ran like a champ. Still worth a look and very easy to do...

jenkins31
07-15-2008, 07:14 PM
k i will check and see and thanx for the help and if that dont help i will put another post out 2 let u guys know

jenkins31
07-16-2008, 08:40 AM
k i just got backim from pushing it and it is still doin the same thing but i did notice now when u push it fast in a low gear it has high rpms and when u hit the gas it almost sounds like it biggs out so is it prob the carb doin it 2 the engine