PDA

View Full Version : 02 rubicon500. display screen blacked out?

wildwheelerb200
07-13-2008, 02:48 PM
Heres the problem. I have a 02 rubicon 500. I would be riding and the 6x6 display screen blacks out but then comes back on in a couple seconds. this only happend 2 times over 2.5yrs. I thought nothing of it. Then one day i was riding and went out and hasnt came back on since.I weird thing is that if i turn the key on i can pull start it no problem. But electric start and all the shifting features dont work. I cheacked all the connections and all were good. Did anyone have this problem or have a soulution. Anyones help would be great thanks sam-

budmc77
09-08-2008, 06:57 PM
The ECM might have went bad or the CPU

wildwheelerb200
09-08-2008, 07:57 PM
what is a ECM and CPU? where are they located on the quad?

wildwheelerb200
09-08-2008, 08:01 PM
the bike also boggs out at high rpms like when goin in reverse it will just cut out and die. you caint play with the throttle to bring it back up or anything... is this related to the screen issue???

budmc77
09-11-2008, 03:15 PM
It could be..The ECM controls almost everything on the bike. The ECM is right under the back rack under the plastic or right in front of the tool box carpment. It's not serviable tho and its a lil on the pricy side too. The display may have gotten moisture or something has hit it real hard and messed up the pixels.
I think the CPU is right behind the display or in the combinenation meter or the display. Im not 200% sure tho. I wouldnt think that just the display would cause it not to run right. I got a Clymer service/repair manual and it's helped me on a lot of things. But if you take it back to the honda shop and they can run a diagnostic on it and tell you exactly what wrong. I dont know how much this will cost but it might save you the money if it's not the ECM that the problem.
For the bogging down i dont really know I dont think it has to do with the display but mine does that too occasionally. I will start it and when i go to put it in drive it will cut out completely. Mine doent bog down at high RPMs tho. This may also be a safety feature or what. But I just have to put it back in neutral and start it again and it will run alright.
But you could have multiple problems causing different things to go wrong. Is it still drivable? Do you still ride with it?