PDA

View Full Version : 400ex pipe

TrXX400
07-13-2008, 10:49 AM
well i have a 2008 400ex and i was wondering wuts a good pipe for the honda 4 strokes

please i need suggestions
and dont flame!!!!

Yippie-Ki-Yay
07-13-2008, 11:31 AM
I would say get an Hmf full system. You could go with a sparks, or a dmc, but price wise, and gain wise, id say an hmf. With the hmf, you can get it in a color to match the bike, or get it with a carbon fiber look. Not trying to hijack your thread, but can anyone comfirm if the hmf, or any of these pipes will still have the mounts for the heat shield?

plunge
07-13-2008, 11:35 AM
i have an hmf and like it a lot. it's kind of loud but not too bad, and it's got the nice low sound, not a screeching 2stroke sound. it doesn't have a way to mount the stock heat shield but you could probably get one for it if you want it. i've never had a problem with not having the heat shield, just don't ride in shorts.

leasureryan
07-13-2008, 11:36 AM
I have an HMF....have been pondering selling my full system in exchange for a Sparks full system

rid3r3d33
07-13-2008, 02:59 PM
I am looking at an HMF pipe too, only slip-on instead of the full system. I was also looking at the Two Brothers M-7 slip-on and I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about it. Which ones better? Thanks.

RaginRedneck
07-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Just as an FYI, unless you plan on doing some engine mods, I wouldn't waste your money on a full system. If you look at the power gains on a stock motor between a slip-on and a full system they are pretty marginal, but the price tag difference is considerable. If you plan on doing some engine mods, then by all means by the full system because it will get you the maximum gain out of your later mods.

Just my 2 cents.

TrXX400
07-13-2008, 03:33 PM
well so hmf is pretty good im guessing since like everybody has recommended it lol
and thanks for the suggestions

buster024
07-14-2008, 08:49 PM
I have a Yoshi, and I'm very happy with it. That being said, I'm trading it in, and getting a Curtis Sparks X6.
In my humble opinion, HMF, FMF and Yoshi are all excellent pipes and probably represent the 2nd tier of performance. I would say Sparks is probably the best, with a whole ton of 3rd place finishers like White Bros, LRD, DRD, DMC etc. I'm of course stirring the pot up with all the guys that ride with anyone of the last bunch, but that's just my opinion, that is mostly based on chat from this site.
Good money says you'll be happy with any major brand of pipe you get. Go to youtube, and search for videos that have soundclips. See which ones you like the sound of the best. There's been a hundred posts about exhausts, and there is never, and will never be a consensus about which brand is the clear best upgrade for the 400.
Good luck....If you get an HMF I'm sure you'll love it.

Hondamaster5505
07-15-2008, 07:53 AM
If you want to here a bunch of different exhaust's, I made a thread a while back. "aftermarket pipe soundclips"

I got them all from youtube so its easier then searching every exhaust on youtube.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=346007&highlight=sound