PDA

View Full Version : airfilter question

unitednations
07-13-2008, 09:53 AM
I have my lid removed and a kn air filter, but sometimes i ride in dusty conditions.
What can i do for this with out putting the lid back on, because that makes it run to rich?

mcwilly
07-13-2008, 10:04 AM
Outerwears lid or K&N lid.
I have the Outerwears lid, outerwears pre-filter and KN filter on mine.
EHS link (http://www.ehsracing.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_22)

There's a "how-to" thread on here somewhere showing step by step how to make your own outerwears lid.

leasureryan
07-13-2008, 11:11 AM
buy a decent filter would be your first step....like a Uni, Twin air, No-toil, Moose foam.......anything but a K&N

07-13-2008, 11:13 AM
"anything but a K&N" lol I hate that so much. Get an outerwear for the air filter itself and then remove your snorkel and block it off. Next buy an Outerwear for the airbox and put that over, its $18.99 at motosport no need to spend the money on a fancy lid. With 2 outerwears like that you wont have any problems or you shouldnt with dust.

leasureryan
07-13-2008, 11:31 AM
you hate it....but you know I'm right.....lol. The proof is in the pudding. We all know that K&N was originaly made for street applications....and they have done NOTHING to change thier filters for offroad use. I could care less what anyone says....we all know that quads are exposed to way more muck and grim than any street application. Your choice if you want all that crap in your motor and carb......personaly, I will choose to keep my stuff clean.

unitednations
07-13-2008, 11:57 AM
so i shouldn't use a K&N filter?

mcwilly
07-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by unitednations
so i shouldn't use a K&N filter?

It's all a personal choice. Some say K&N only, while the others say foam filter only. I've had K&N in dusty conditions w/ no trouble. And after last weekend's mud-fest, all was still clean in intake and carb w/ K&N.
With a K&N, make sure you maintain (clean/oil) it regularly.

07-13-2008, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by leasureryan
you hate it....but you know I'm right.....lol. The proof is in the pudding. We all know that K&N was originaly made for street applications....and they have done NOTHING to change thier filters for offroad use. I could care less what anyone says....we all know that quads are exposed to way more muck and grim than any street application. Your choice if you want all that crap in your motor and carb......personaly, I will choose to keep my stuff clean.

so have you yourself used a K&N on a quad?

leasureryan
07-13-2008, 10:24 PM
man....I have owned, been around, driven, watched....I work at a dealership, and see hundreds of quads a year come through our sevice dept. I know my fair share.....but as preiviously stated....it's a matter of opinion....so do as you please.....

rideracelivemx7
07-13-2008, 10:34 PM
actually dude, i went to gtthunder.com and he as dynos. and i saw a dyno on a stock 400 with the lid removed and it actually got less peak hp and it wasnt a steady climb. the powerband was all over the place. take a look for yourself. lids removed is for moddified only id say
http://www.geocities.com/gtthunder.geo/400stk2.jpg there you are. very informative. i spent 2 hours just anylizing it all lol. was shocked an lectron carb adds 6hp on stock alone!

JR_rivard
07-13-2008, 10:48 PM
i switched from k&n to a uni filter. soooo much better and keeps everything clean. you don't have to worry about the stuff in the back of your head then when your riding down the trails or through mud and stuff.

07-13-2008, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by rideracelivemx7
actually dude, i went to gtthunder.com and he as dynos. and i saw a dyno on a stock 400 with the lid removed and it actually got less peak hp and it wasnt a steady climb. the powerband was all over the place. take a look for yourself. lids removed is for moddified only id say
http://www.geocities.com/gtthunder.geo/400stk2.jpg there you are. very informative. i spent 2 hours just anylizing it all lol. was shocked an lectron carb adds 6hp on stock alone!

thats witout jetting, when you jet it perks that dip right up and its a all around gain

Mellow Yellow
07-14-2008, 10:00 AM
I just cleaned my K&N after 2 fairly dusty rides. Outerwears prefilter and velcro-on lid. Both outerwears were dirty and the K&N was visibly dirty on the outside. Inside of K&N and airboot were still clean. Maybe the K&N haters aren't cleaning and oiling their filters properly?

UNBROKEN
07-14-2008, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by leasureryan
you hate it....but you know I'm right.....lol. The proof is in the pudding. We all know that K&N was originaly made for street applications....and they have done NOTHING to change thier filters for offroad use. I could care less what anyone says....we all know that quads are exposed to way more muck and grim than any street application. Your choice if you want all that crap in your motor and carb......personaly, I will choose to keep my stuff clean. agreed , but if u do chose k&n be prepared to have to clean it more often then a foam filter so if u ride in dusy condishoins id chose a foam filter and there is really no gain in HP comparing a k&n to a uni or twin air or any other high flow foam filter , but the outerwares lid is a good idea .

Brauap
07-14-2008, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
"anything but a K&N" lol I hate that so much. Get an outerwear for the air filter itself and then remove your snorkel and block it off. Next buy an Outerwear for the airbox and put that over, its $18.99 at motosport no need to spend the money on a fancy lid. With 2 outerwears like that you wont have any problems or you shouldnt with dust.

I have 2 outerwears and I still found dust in my air boot and carb.. I HATE K&N and all of the local shops (about 15 of them) all said K&N was "a big no-no!" at least for the off road dirtbike/quad

And if you are a trail rider (a heavy trail rider) get the stock lid and richers is better than leaner

I listen to the people on here and took off my snorkle when I put the lid on.. no difference, plus if I hit water hard it has problems getting enough air because the outerwears on top holds all of the water and drips it all in. Maybe MX/FLAT TRACK/DRAG is fine for K&N but not trails.

Go ahead FoxHondaRider, make a dumb come back like you always do protecting you beloved K&N, but the truth is, not for trails. You can if you want. But your just sacerficing you own engine to K&N.....

Brauap
07-14-2008, 01:57 PM
Also as a side note, I have already lost one engine from a K&N (Oiled w/ Outerwears and Outerwears Lid/No Snorkle

hornetgod13
07-14-2008, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
Also as a side note, I have already lost one engine from a K&N (Oiled w/ Outerwears and Outerwears Lid/No Snorkle

I'm not a K&N fan myself but, the filter didn't ruin your engine. You ruined it! Driving your quad with the air boot disconnected from the carb for more than an hour in some of the muddiest conditions trashed that motor. You amaze me.

Brauap
07-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Nonono, that suprisingly didn't harm it, it was my next trip to West Virgina.. dust...water....FOAM!

07-14-2008, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
I have 2 outerwears and I still found dust in my air boot and carb.. I HATE K&N and all of the local shops (about 15 of them) all said K&N was "a big no-no!" at least for the off road dirtbike/quad

And if you are a trail rider (a heavy trail rider) get the stock lid and richers is better than leaner

I listen to the people on here and took off my snorkle when I put the lid on.. no difference, plus if I hit water hard it has problems getting enough air because the outerwears on top holds all of the water and drips it all in. Maybe MX/FLAT TRACK/DRAG is fine for K&N but not trails.

Go ahead FoxHondaRider, make a dumb come back like you always do protecting you beloved K&N, but the truth is, not for trails. You can if you want. But your just sacerficing you own engine to K&N.....

lol you said it so I have to make a comeback. K&N not for everyone. Flow wise yes it is THE BEST for airflow there are numerous dyno and cubic air test that prove it is by far the best flowing filter. The best flowing is usually the worst at filtering but there are way to alter that without changing the airflow that much. And outerwear stops so much dust and such its pretty amazing. Also I am a "heavy trail rider" i ride agressivly through the trails. Trails arent all full of mud and water. And the reason you probally ruined your motor was because you had the snorkel taken out and possibly poor maintainance on your filter. I've been cleaning and re oiling my K&N usually 2-3 rides in the dusty conditions and I have no problem doing that at all. The reason I bought a K&N not only because it flows well and is a quality item but the ease of cleaning is what got me. Spray on some stuff let it sit for 10 minutes and the rinse it, then spay some oil on it and let it soak in and dry. With my foam fiter I would spend so much time scrubbing and soaking to try and get all the dirt out of it and off of it. With my K&N I spary some cheap cleaner and sit watching the dirt and oil run off. Like I said K&N isn for everyone and normally when people blame a part on ruining their motor it was from improper use or lack of maintainance. So theres my dumb comeback.

UNBROKEN
07-14-2008, 07:40 PM
lmfao good come back brad well at least wut u said make sence ahahahah

400ex28
07-14-2008, 07:54 PM
I run a k&n on my truck but on the quad its a different story UNI ftw!

buster024
07-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Why do I feel inescapably drawn to these types of posts. I have to give my 2 cents.
I've only had a K&N, so I can't speak for foam filters. I clean and oil my filter every 3-4 hours of riding. It's easy, and it just became a part of the clean up process. I've ridden foolishly on wet muddy trails, dunes, and extremely dusty trails....all without an airbox lid, and only with an outerwears cover.
I've had my carb apart many times, and have yet to find any build-up or dust that got much past the filter.
I've always heard good things about the foam, so I may try switching someday, but I can't say a bad thing about the performance of my tried, tested, and true K&N.