PDA

View Full Version : Career Choice.. Help?

rYan01400EX
07-13-2008, 03:54 AM
I'll be attending college this Fall. When I registered for classes, I registered as a Criminal Justice major with a minor in Police Studies. I'm just not too sure I want to get into that field of work. I was born and raised farming and I'd like to do something closely related to that.

I'm thinking about switching my major to Landscape Horticulture..

My question is : What do you all think about starting a business in this field? There are a couple guys here whom I talked to and he said it's VERY VERY profitable.

Here's the thing - landscape is seasonal for sure. But I kinda thought about doing a few more things other than that such as
-Mowing
-Fencing
-Endless Guttering
-Pressure Washing
-Shingle Replacements & Small Roof Repairs
-Snow Blowing (Not very beneficial, just a small touch.)
-Small Concrete Work (Sidewalks, small porches, etc..)
-Security Lights
-Exterior Home/Window Cleaning (Windows being more commercial.)
-Tractor Operation (Garden tilling, driveway leveling, etc..)
-Lawn Aeration
-Small Woodworking jobs (Vanities, Soffets, Recessed Lighting, cabinet installation, custom cabinetry, door framing, and trim work.)
-Deck Construction

I don't want my business to focus strictly on landscape but I need to go to college for something. I want my job to be an all around deal. My goal is to pick up small jobs that large contractors don't have time to fool with. There's NOONE around here that does that and I'm almost 100% sure business could pick up quick... My dad can retire in a few years and he's EXTREMELY talented with woodworking and I want to get him in on this with me.. Not so much the outdoor part but the interior construction part. I pretty much want to be "all around" and not limit myself to one main deal... I've always been interested in this field of work and thought opening up more options then just one thing will create a little more business on my part seeing as I would be able to stay busy year round.

If you're a business owner or know alot about it, let me know if what I want is a waste of time or if I could be on to something...

quad2xtreme
07-13-2008, 05:15 AM
My opinion is what your are looking to do is the type of career you get into when you don't go to college. If this is what you truly want to do then I would forego college and use that money to just get started. College isn't going to teach you one thing about those specific skills...and in fact, won't really even teach you how to start a small business.

A business like that can be successful if you master a few basic skills...customer service, time management, and communication. In a nutshell, schedule appointments that you can meet, show up when scheduled, and be polite and professional.

ZeroLogic
07-13-2008, 09:43 AM
Straight out of high school I became an general contractor. I'm not off on my own though, yet. I took three years of building vo-tech in my highschool that taught be A LOT. I'm sticking with this old timer I knew my whole life and hes teaching me a lot. I can't do that college thing though. Sitting down and reading and writing notes. No thanks!:p

07-13-2008, 10:25 AM
I know a friend who is majoring in farm and ranch management. There are some people especially out west who own more than one farm and pay you to live there and run the farm, all the work, etc. Very profitable without the risk.

ZeroLogic
07-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Check this out.

http://www.collegeboard.com/csearch/majors_careers/profiles/majors/01.0104.html

rYan01400EX
07-13-2008, 01:59 PM
Yea, college won't help with alot of the other skills but I've got to get a degree. It's a "make mom happy thing." I love work outside and am not afraid of manual labor. A air conditioned room behind a computer desk is not my idea of a job. I thought that something of this nature could be a reasonable business to get into and nonetheless, it combines all things I'd like to do. I've worked in a construction business for a while framing, drywalling, and roofing houses.. and I enjoy it.. but in the meantime I realized all of the little things that the guy I work for doesn't want to deal with.. Like small calls to remodel a bathroom or a room, etc.. I took electricity in high school for 4 years and learned and enjoy that aswell... I don't know. I'm not much on this whole college deal and truly believe that you don't have to have it to be successful at life.

quad2xtreme
07-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by rYan01400EX
I'm not much on this whole college deal and truly believe that you don't have to have it to be successful at life.

Some of the richest guys I know never went to college...and made it big in business...and some of the poorest guys I know never went to college. College is not a guarantee in life and not going isn't a guarantee either. It really has a lot more to do with your drive, talents, and natural intelligence. All in all though, the average Joe will get through life with a little more comfort and less manual labor if you do go to college.

Somethings just come easier for some. Take a job I was doing yesterday. Had to drill out a foot peg bolt that snapped. I just looked at it and said I need to start with the biggest drill bit that just fits in the hole. I used that to start to make sure I hit dead center. I only drilled it in about 1/4". College doesn't teach you that and lots of people would have tried to eyeball the center and drill it out with a smaller bit that would have walked.

If you have strong mechanical and handyman skills, then you won't have any trouble making a decent living. I do know why the guy you know doesn't like some of the small jobs. You can waste alot of time setting up and tearing down your tools and waiting for stuff to dry before you can move on. There is usually a lot of pressure to get those jobs done quickly too. They can make you or break you if you don't price them out properly.

/Jon

ZeroLogic
07-13-2008, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
Some of the richest guys I know never went to college...and made it big in business...and some of the poorest guys I know never went to college. College is not a guarantee in life and not going isn't a guarantee either. It really has a lot more to do with your drive, talents, and natural intelligence. All in all though, the average Joe will get through life with a little more comfort and less manual labor if you do go to college.

Somethings just come easier for some. Take a job I was doing yesterday. Had to drill out a foot peg bolt that snapped. I just looked at it and said I need to start with the biggest drill bit that just fits in the hole. I used that to start to make sure I hit dead center. I only drilled it in about 1/4". College doesn't teach you that and lots of people would have tried to eyeball the center and drill it out with a smaller bit that would have walked.

If you have strong mechanical and handyman skills, then you won't have any trouble making a decent living. I do know why the guy you know doesn't like some of the small jobs. You can waste alot of time setting up and tearing down your tools and waiting for stuff to dry before you can move on. There is usually a lot of pressure to get those jobs done quickly too. They can make you or break you if you don't price them out properly.

/Jon

Well said, any amout of schooling will never show you secrets of the trades. I belive that the best way to learn something hands on work is to acutally go out and do it. No book or notes will ever help you swing a hammer and hit the head without bending it. I don't blame you on the office type of work. I can't stand sitting at a computer when I was at school or filing papers. I rather be outside in the rain or shine, 100 degree weather or 10 degree weather. I love what I do and it give you such a satisfaction after a job is complete. If I were you, I'd do the samething I am currently doing, find a contractor thats looking for helpers. Stick with him and watch everything he does, ask questions also. Show him your interested. You will learn a lot.

8my_Cash
07-14-2008, 09:52 AM
yea so far at my senior year of college all i have gotten is a sh*t ton of debt, weight gain, alcoholism, and stress :D

but no seriously you have to find something that you like to do and go for it. my motto was what can i do that can be turned into a career that i will not mind waking up every morning to do?

if i get to the point where i wake up and man i hate this job then i didnt pick the right choice.

Regular_Joe
07-14-2008, 10:05 AM
If you go out on your own, your going to be your own secretary .... so doing office work on the computer will be part of the equation. You will need to manage appointments, make up contracts, bills, taxes, etc.

krt400ex
07-14-2008, 11:16 AM
you dont need a college degree if you want to do landscape...unless its like landscape design. im do landscaping and i am going to go to college at MMI to become a certified motorcycle technician. that will be my backup if the business ever fails. i also had to think about that fact that landscape is the first thing that ppl cut out of money is tight...so thats why im going to college for something different than landscaping for a back up

IOWAracer
07-14-2008, 01:07 PM
also guys not sure where you are but landscaping is only a half year job winter can and will delay landscapers...plan what you will do for the winter months tree removeal for ice storms, snow removal, salting plowing big business that all needs to be addressed!

broc

rYan01400EX
07-15-2008, 01:19 AM
Yea, I live in a seasonal area... as stated in my first post. I realize winter will put a halt on landscaping. But, Im not afraid to do other things outside that need done during the cold months. Thats why I want an "all around" business. I'm not saying that I just want to do strictly landscape. I'd like to remodel homes or anything like that aswell. I'm not focused on doing landscape 100%.

8my_Cash - I'm afraid I'm headed that way. I never came from alot of money and schooling is going to cause my parents alot of trouble. I would just assume not go but my mom absolutely wants me to go. Dad really doesn't care. I also dont want to be $30,000 in debt starting off life. Thats a hole I may NEVER get out of. I love landscape.. In general, I love hard work. I like to feel like what I do in a day has made the money I will get. I've done work everywhere and tried all different walks of work.. from having a "real" job where I've been in a store working with the public to construction work. I worked at a SEARS store for 17 days and decided thats not for me. I'd rather be outside.

Regular Joe - I've thought about that too. That will be a fraction of my time. I've seen what it takes with a big business and the time devoted to those things is no big deal. That won't bother me one bit. I just like to spend 8 - 10hrs. a day locked up inside.

8my_Cash
07-15-2008, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by rYan01400EX
Yea, I live in a seasonal area... as stated in my first post. I realize winter will put a halt on landscaping. But, Im not afraid to do other things outside that need done during the cold months. Thats why I want an "all around" business. I'm not saying that I just want to do strictly landscape. I'd like to remodel homes or anything like that aswell. I'm not focused on doing landscape 100%.

8my_Cash - I'm afraid I'm headed that way. I never came from alot of money and schooling is going to cause my parents alot of trouble. I would just assume not go but my mom absolutely wants me to go. Dad really doesn't care. I also dont want to be $30,000 in debt starting off life. Thats a hole I may NEVER get out of. I love landscape.. In general, I love hard work. I like to feel like what I do in a day has made the money I will get. I've done work everywhere and tried all different walks of work.. from having a "real" job where I've been in a store working with the public to construction work. I worked at a SEARS store for 17 days and decided thats not for me. I'd rather be outside.

In all seriousness(sp) I m not coming from a lot of money either but you learn about a lot of ways to manage loans and everything in school.

There re many options available when you take a loan with very affordable rates.

For example right now I use private loans which mean its giving by a lending company or a bank. My company is sallie mae and as of 10minutes ago I am taking out a $24k loan for the year.

You may ask how do you afford the payments? The answer is I don't. What I do is called defferal which means that payments are deffered until 6 months after you graduate.

Now your saying to yourself now all that debt is going to bite you in the *** when you graduate when you are hit with a huge sum of loans to pay off.

This is where you take the next step which is consolidation. This is where you take all the student loans you took for you education and combine them into one sum to give you 1 monthly payment with a relatively low rate.

Now I look at the debt as motivation to get that higher paying job since i will have debt knocking on my door if I dont.

Also i know MANY MANY people who are professionals with 6 figure jobs that still pay their loans 8 years down the road because it s a 28$ a month payment for $85k worth of loans. I asked why and they said why pay more if its sooooo low haha.

All in all when you take loans out to goto school there are many people at your school who can help you. They are called finnacial aid, and what they to do is find you the best possible way to pay for school. This is because they want your money :D

But never worry about the cost worry about the education first and see if it justifys your cost.

8my_Cash
07-15-2008, 08:18 AM
ALSO another thing about the whole working inside thing. Sears, lol, is nothing compared to the actual business world. As weak speak im working for a bank doing web design and I love the people and the work.

My whole life i lived on farmland with two blue collar parents and worked labor jobs, built cars, built motors, hunted, rode quads, ect. I love being outside and never ever wanted to be a yuppie. But now all i have to say is i rather work SMART then to work HARD.

Careers are like new hobbies, if you dont like it quit and find a new one haha.

CUZ'n
07-15-2008, 08:32 AM
u cum to da wes porte and we makkn u worke ned helpr stufff hevi no work git kikked up but iz ok i git u numbr no homos alowedd:muscle: :bandit: