PDA

View Full Version : Raced a yfz450!!!

08450ER
07-12-2008, 10:34 PM
Hey Guys,

My buddy has a brand new Yfz450 2008. I went over to his house and we decided to line them up. I have been really anxious to see what happened because I see all the posts on here about Yfz this that and the other. I'm 6-3 235, my buddys 5-5 150. Let's just say, it was on the road! On a roll in first gear, even in second, topping out 3rd gear it just started walking away hard!!
I know I have 85 pounds on him, but how much modding will I have to do in order to beat him? Will the HRC kit/full exhaust do it??

Stock for stock, YFZ's are faster, But what about the hondas when you do the HRC kit?

Elite07trx
07-13-2008, 11:41 AM
are you sure he didnt retard the cams bcuz ive heard that will make a world of difference and thats basically free

07-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by 08450ER
Stock for stock, YFZ's are faster, But what about the hondas when you do the HRC kit?

not according to a dyno. The 450r has more HP, torque and a faster top speed vs a YFZ. 85lbs is a pretty big difference, my friend had a 440 all done up and I had a stock 400ex. He weighed 100lbs more or so than me. Every drag race we did I won no matter what we switched quads a few races too. We put him on a 440 stroker vs me on my stock 400ex and he ran about even at times others he was behind. Yeah he may not have been the best rider but this was a drag race. i know shifting and how you rev it play a big role but the 440 stroker went 86MPH and was incredibly fast, put anyone else on it that weighed less and they would beat anyones 440 and a few 450's with ease even if you waited on the line for a few seconds while everyone took off you would still win except the guy that was bigger. the lighter you are the less your motor has to pull and it will go faster. another thing, the HRC 450r owns any stock 450. My friends dad had an HRC 450r, my friend has a stock YFZ, and his brother has a stock LTR, the HRC 450r won everytime switching riders and all

SHIFTx450
07-13-2008, 04:31 PM
the yamaturds are a fast DRAG bike.. i poop on them in the woods.. but in a drag, i get them from the start, all the way to 4th, then they catch up and pass me.. they have more top end.

One_Bad_400
07-14-2008, 10:53 PM
85lbs is a world of difference. i'm on 10 lbs lighter then my brother and it shows when we line up. so times that by 8 1/2. and when you say walk away hard? does that mean by 1 bike length? or 10+?

Ellingsoc26
07-14-2008, 11:02 PM
weigh is a big diff for u two if u want to beat him we need to know what year you have if its 06 or newer than a pipe or a cam would do it. if its older than a pipe piston or cam and if u do that check the bearings they go out alot in the older ones

klutch
07-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Ellingsoc26
weigh is a big diff for u two if u want to beat him we need to know what year you have if its 06 or newer than a pipe or a cam would do it. if its older than a pipe piston or cam and if u do that check the bearings they go out alot in the older ones

I guess you didn't noticed but his screen name is 08450ER meaning he probably has a 2008 450ER. Just clearing that up. :D

GPracer2500
07-15-2008, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
not according to a dyno. The 450r has more HP, torque and a faster top speed vs a YFZ....

Lets see em'. I'm not sure I've seen what you're referring to.

Whatever the case, I know in my main riding area, the average YFZ is gonna beat an average 450r in a drag. There's faster or slower examples of each out there, sure. But when I see a big gaggle of 450s line up at the bottom of the drag hill, more often then not it's a YFZ leading the pack. Motorcross, woods, other places--I wouldn't know which is "faster". In the dunes, YFZ's can be tough to beat. They're great draggers.

IMO, the HRC kit--or a similar collection of aftermarket mods--is a no brainer on the 450r. It irritates me Honda insists on "detuning" the 450r in the first place. A well-sealed airbox and quiet exhaust, yeah--I can understand that. But you shouldn't have to replace the cam to get it somewhere around a level playing field.

$0.02