PDA

View Full Version : Works shocks ok?

Derrick Adams
07-12-2008, 07:44 AM
I just picked up a set of these for my 06 ER. They are MX long travels with triple rate springs. Has anyone ran them?

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l34/Derrick_Adams/atv_pair_pro_series_piggyback_trs_a.jpg

Here's what Works says about them:

"Pro Series Piggyback
With Triple-Rate Springs (TRS)

Pro Series 2-way or 3-way adjustable damping piggyback shocks with Triple-Rate Springs (TRS) for Quads (depending on application).

Eighteen-position rebound and Eighteen-position compression adjustments are at hand for fine-tuning. Available in compression only or rebound and compression adjustable. Threaded pre-load (Tpl) and 5/8-inch diameter shafts are standard equipment.

Our top of the line shocks for serious competition. Available in MX, cross-country and Stadium configurations for TRX250R/400EX/450R, Raptor, YFZ450, LTZ/KXF400, Bombardier and other selected models. "

07-12-2008, 11:18 AM
the sound good to me, anything is going to be way better than stock

bah1491
07-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Works shocks are O.K. I have had those exact shocks on my 400ex two years ago, bought them brand new, and they were far better than stock. Now, if you compare them to something like OHLINS, PEP, AXIS, theres no competition. But if youre riding on the track every once in a while, their good, but for a serious competitor, not so good.
$0.02

REPOMAN
07-12-2008, 05:31 PM
i have a set of standard travel black widow shocks from works and think they are awesome. i dont race though i ride alot of desert trails and dunes and they are perfect

desratt
07-12-2008, 06:38 PM
ok before everyone bags on works here is my opinion.

I have been racing for bout 7 years now including the pro class I race mx and desert. I have had custom shocks from elka, custom axis, ohlins, pep and works.

the elka's just flat got mailed back. didn't like them one bit in any condition. the custom axis ones felt like they would be good for something like stadium cross. they too got mailed back.

I did how ever keep the elka linkage cause I thought it had great potential. as it did with a custom works shock built for it.

right now I feel I have the best set up ever and it is the works pro g4 remote res. front and back

07-12-2008, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by desratt
ok before everyone bags on works here is my opinion.

I have been racing for bout 7 years now including the pro class I race mx and desert. I have had custom shocks from elka, custom axis, ohlins, pep and works.

the elka's just flat got mailed back. didn't like them one bit in any condition. the custom axis ones felt like they would be good for something like stadium cross. they too got mailed back.

I did how ever keep the elka linkage cause I thought it had great potential. as it did with a custom works shock built for it.

right now I feel I have the best set up ever and it is the works pro g4 remote res. front and back

thats really interesting and seems off that the other shocks didnt cut it. Elka... understandable I hear all the time how they are so generic feeling and not setup exactly to your weight and stuff from the factory. Works most people say they are crap whn they are far from that, they are better than stock shocks could hope to be unless you have them rebuilt. Did you try dialing the shocks in more/ like playing with the settings to try and fine tune them?

desratt
07-12-2008, 09:34 PM
yes. I am always playing with settings. I should also mention that I have mailed shocks back to works before and told them to try again. but not very often for the amount of shocks that I have used from them.

2 good points of contact at works are sandy and piere both guys are very good and build exactly what you need. they will usually need some mesurements pulled if you run some different set ups like I do. up front I run the laeger t-pin front ends. with differnt +2 or +3 widths and sometimes +1 forward as well as stock and in the rear I have used different linkages with different length swingers. and sometimes moving the top shockmount around.

can't remember the other names but I know elka was kind of a pain cause they're in canada and has to go through customs.

another thing to remember is if your racing you usually need the part yesterday.