PDA

View Full Version : Am I too lean in cold weather?

HondaChris
12-03-2002, 06:21 PM
I took my 2002 400ex (stock) out to play in the snow this evening. It was about +10 f out. After I got through the hassle of getting it started, I noticed a very slight glow from the headpipes. Not a lot, but just enough to notice it. Am I leaving the choke on full or at half too long or what? Or is it in the jetting? Like I said before, the thing is bone stock, and I never noticed any glow before at night when riding in warmer weather.

Maryland 400EX
12-03-2002, 06:31 PM
In 10 degree weather you could probably stand to richen up the jetting a little. On my CR 500 I used to raise the needle 1/2 clip with a spacer and go a size larger on the main jet in the winter.

PDH416ex
12-03-2002, 07:27 PM
It is normal for the head pipe to glow.

cabex
12-03-2002, 08:39 PM
It usually starts to glow if it is just idleing for awhile. How long do you let it warm up?

HondaChris
12-03-2002, 09:01 PM
I dont let it set too long while using the choke....I have it on full choke long enough to get it started, and then down to half, usually for long enough to stab the throttle 4/5 times, and then to off...In the colder weather, I was told to let it go on full choke for a bit longer, and maybe need to ride it for a bit with the choke on full, and then go down to half and then off...right now it wants to stall out quite a bit when I take it to half choke though, so I was also told to leave it there a bit longer if I'm not gonna ride it to warm it up, but I noticed this makes the headpipes glow quite a bit.....this was the first time I saw the glowing, except for one other time, when I left the choke on half for a bit longer, to see if it would help in keeping it running til it got warmed up. I didnt know if it was actually getting too hot in there and causing it to glow or not, or if it was doing any damage to the internals of the motor...thats what I was most concerned about...