PDA

View Full Version : what truck

honda4life72
07-11-2008, 09:13 AM
ok i got the option of getting a toyota tocoma ext cab. 4x4 auto. 98 model.. or i can get a 75-85 chevy/gmc short bed 2wd 5 spd. with a 350 motor. i really cant decide. gas is not a huge problem to me. all my friends and school and stuff is only 2 miles away. i would like to get the chevy or gmc because i want sumthing fun to drive ..but still be able to haul the quad around. i would use 4wd if i had it .but if i dont it isn't goin to kill me. i'm torn on what to get...

Scro
07-11-2008, 09:24 AM
Toyota - It will be more reliable, and it will hold it's value better.

54warrior
07-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Wasn't there a large recall on that model of Taco? Where they basically buy back the truck because of weak frames or something??

trxwannbe
07-11-2008, 09:53 AM
its something to do with the frames weakening and eventually breaking but it did not affect every one of them. they will inspect it for free though and if yours is one of the ones with the issue they will buy it back for full kbb value

Kawi_41
07-11-2008, 09:58 AM
I've got a Nissan Titan and I wouldn't trade it for any other truck. We usually pull my 16ft trailer with 4 quads on it and occasionally one in the back of the truck as well and 5 people in the truck to the races and it still gets good gas mileage for a v8 truck and doesn't struggle at all going across the mountains on the way.

tman12345
07-11-2008, 10:17 AM
since your closer to the south a tacoma would be better, because of less chance of rusting, i believe the problem with the tacos is the frame rusts real bad. Up here in Mass if you go to get an oil change or anything at the dealer they won't let you drive it home and you 150% KBB value.

ZeroLogic
07-11-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by 54warrior
Wasn't there a large recall on that model of Taco? Where they basically buy back the truck because of weak frames or something??

Hell yea! A friend of mine and a contractor I work with are tearing his truck apart before he brings it in. I get brand new 15 inch tires from it! They get KBB Value and 50 percent back for the trucks.

54warrior
07-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Also, if I'm not mistaken, in order to prevent all the swindlers out there from buying up a bunch of these trucks and turning them in to collect the buyback money, you have to of purchased/owned the truck before a certain date, otherwise you are not eligible for the buyback.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

honda4life72
07-11-2008, 10:53 AM
what years did the tocama have these problems? because i will be getting one thats no newer than 2000

rundrave
07-11-2008, 11:30 AM
wow some of you guys couldnt be further from the truth....

That frame deal wasnt even a recall it was an example of the commitment to their customers. It covered trucks from 1995 to 2000. and it was a very small number of trucks that were even reported.

Toyota received reports that on a small number of Tacoma frames may develop corrosion that goes beyond the normal surface rust that’s commonly found on metal after years of exposure.

All Toyota did was extend the rust-perforation warranty covering these trucks for a period of 15 years from each vehicle’s original date of purchase, with no mileage limitation. If the truck met the criteria Toyota gave you 150% value of truck.

It is proof about Toyota that nobody stands behind their product like they do. The big 3 would have been out of bussiness years ago it they offered this type of commitment.

tman12345
07-11-2008, 11:49 AM
at my local toyota dealership theres about 100 of these tacomas that were bought back by toyota, my friends uncle had one and he brought it to the dealer for regular maintanence and they would not let him take it home.

tman12345
07-11-2008, 11:50 AM
btw i would get the tacoma as long as it is in good condition, is it just a daily driver or do have some plans for the truck you buy.

beaker1214
07-11-2008, 12:59 PM
This should be a no brainier lets see a truck that's 10 years old and well known for their reliability or a truck that is 20 + years old hmmmm I would def go with the Toyota

honda4life72
07-11-2008, 01:02 PM
the toyota would get a 2 inch suspension lift and tires around 30's. the chevy/gmc i would built the motor in, lower and w/e else seem'ed to be wrong with it. i want to go to school for small engines and car engines . so i figured a old truck and a 350 motor would be a great start

Kickstarts-suck
07-11-2008, 01:29 PM
get the taco

I dont drive far at all and still hate never having gas.

Blue250X
07-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by honda4life72
the toyota would get a 2 inch suspension lift and tires around 30's. the chevy/gmc i would built the motor in, lower and w/e else seem'ed to be wrong with it. i want to go to school for small engines and car engines . so i figured a old truck and a 350 motor would be a great start

A 2 inch lift on a toyota would probably net you some 32's, maybe 31s, depends on wheel width and offset. If you were going for engines, that 350 would be so easy and affordable to build. Yeah, the tacos are reliable, but those c10s are pretty bullet proof themselves. Also, for the frame rust going beyond normal, if my buddies frame rusting to where there are holes in several spots, then yes, that is beyond normal.