PDA

View Full Version : engine noise?

MO-EX-RIDER
07-11-2008, 05:07 AM
i just picked up an 05 last night and the engine has a "tick/light knock" in what seems to be in the top end...it will start fine and runs great, but does not sound good.
im using my good judgement- since the previous owner added a new cylinder-13:5:1 piston and stg 2 cam himself, that the timing chain or tensioner is bad....

if anyone could steer me in the right direction it would be great:D

07-11-2008, 06:20 AM
That's the high lift cam. It is normal for a high performance cam to make more noise. Mine did the same thing when I put the CRF cam in. WHen I did my piston and cam I did a timing chain. You're almost there so why not. If it hasn't been done I would do a least the chain.

MO-EX-RIDER
07-16-2008, 11:12 AM
ant body else?? could the cam not be shimmed right?

i was hoping that this is not the dreaded crank bearing problem i read about also:eek2:

Scro
07-16-2008, 11:37 AM
If the crank bearing is going out, it's not going to make the ticking noise you are hearing from the top end. I'm gonna bet that it's just normal sound for a cam, but I would go through and check the clearances just to make sure everything is square; and replace the timing chain. It's cheap insurance.

07-16-2008, 12:04 PM
When the valves in the 450R start to go they tighten up not loosen. The intakes tighten up abut 4 or 5 times faster then the exhaust. They won't make a ticking noise. As stated above the crank won't mkae noise. The only way to see if the crank bearing is going is metal in the oil filter.

High performance cams make noise. It is the nature of the beast.

MO-EX-RIDER
07-16-2008, 03:59 PM
i changed the oil and could see super fine pieces shine when in the sunlight, but only saw 1 piece that stood out(the size of it, i have seen many times and never had a worry before)..it is supposed to have a new piston,cam and cylinder so i thought the debris could be from that?

07-16-2008, 04:27 PM
All those new parts will not make any metal. You more than likely need a crank. If I were you I wouldn't run it because you will be replacing eveything you just listed and then some. What happens is the right side crank bearing goes bad and the crankshaft starts to walk over to the right side. In doing so it shaves down the right side engine case, causing metal flakes. You need a complete gasket and seal kit, the left side crank bearing and the updated crank kit. The updated kit on comes with a new right side bearing and seal, the crank and a collar that you press onto the right side that is supposed to fix this problem. Most dealer won't have a clue what you mean buy the updated crank. If you need the part # let me know. Good Luck!

d3ktrix
07-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Every quad I've ever changed the oil on had glimmering silver "metal" all through out the old oil when you put it in the sun. Only from the tranny side on 450r's though.

Unless its actual particles u can feel with ur fingers in the oil then I'd say u have nothing to worry about.

I've seen oil poor out of the tranny side of my friends quads that looks pure silver. Looks like liquid metal if u leave it in there for too long.
That's probably all you are seeing.

But if its from the engine side only or theres ANY metal collecting in the oil filter it self, then I'd say yeah something might be on its way out.

MO-EX-RIDER
07-16-2008, 06:12 PM
it was from the engine side.....so i guees when a deal is to good to be true.....it proably has a f'n problem...life lesson i knew but fell for it anyway:huh

BUT i have yet to tear it apart, so this all could be cool....i will know more next week

07-16-2008, 07:22 PM
If you're going to tear it down I would put a crank in it and be done with it.

awj8074
07-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Crank barring issues are a ***** but i got lucky and the dealer fixed everything for free. I was quadless for almost a month since they couldnt get a new enigne and had to build one piece by piece but the left cover was on backorder so it sucked.

I have the bill and part list around someplace i'll look for it and post it up

venom450r
07-17-2008, 02:48 PM
I agree with the ticking being from the cam. Mine has done it since day 1 w/ my hrc cam, and even worse now w/ the hc2. If you're worried about the crank dumping on you then change the oil, run it for about an hour & change the oil again. When you're done cut the oil filter open and you should find a decent amount of shavings in it.

gotwarrior
07-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Mo-Ex-Rider.... i will help you out..

I have seen a heard this bike run... One thing that i noticed it only ticks under idle rpms.. but when the rpms rise the ticking stops.. and this is a pretty heavy tick..

pro-rider46
07-18-2008, 04:48 PM
timing chains should be changed around every 50 hours according to honda, i would tear it down now and order timing chain, crank, and gaskets. very cheap in the long run.

d3ktrix
07-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
timing chains should be changed around every 50 hours according to honda, i would tear it down now and order timing chain, crank, and gaskets. very cheap in the long run.

lol i should of changed mine like 6 times then.

They also say u should change the oil every 100 hours on the 05s and change the piston every 20 hours on the 06s.
Who knows :P

pro-rider46
07-18-2008, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
lol i should of changed mine like 6 times then.

They also say u should change the oil every 100 hours on the 05s and change the piston every 20 hours on the 06s.
Who knows :P

haha i know, how often they call for replacement is rediculous. but it might be a good idea to replace the chain on it. my started knocking pretty loud at about 200 hours, and it will cost you all about 50 bucks all said and done.

d3ktrix
07-18-2008, 05:13 PM
Ya agree it wouldn't be a bad idea, just busting on Hondas' inconsistencies lol