PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting a banshee

hypersnyper6947
07-11-2008, 02:55 AM
I have always wanted a banshee, and i was thinking of trying to trade or sell my 440ex to get one. My only concern is the reliability of the 2 stroke. Should i give up my FAST reliable honda for a banshee? How reliable are your bikes banshee owners?

Hondamaster5505
07-11-2008, 08:06 AM
It all depends on how it's maintained and built.

2/3 banshee's are half @ssed. They are what give banshee's bad names. Banshee's are very finicky, and if they aren't tuned right are a beotch. There will be people coming in here, saying "No, banshee's suck, they're unreliable" Well, thats because they must've seen one not want to start and run like crap. Because the owner didn't know what he's doing.

Don't get me wrong, they're definitely high maintaince. But if you keep up on the maintaince, and build them right, there fine.

My dads, it never sputtered once. Never broke down on us. He ran it way past the wear limit, into the 70psi range, and still started with 3 kicks. Just had no mid-range, lol.

But, even recently, my dad was tired and mixed the wrong pre-mix in it. Well guess what? It's back down to 100psi and still idles like a champ. He has to rebuild it though.

So get one, maintain it, and shee'll be good to you.

buddyayres
07-11-2008, 01:18 PM
id say do it, my banhsee runs beautiful. like siad befor just keep up on the matnece and it will last.

TeamRealtreeHD
07-11-2008, 10:17 PM
They are great... I love mine. But like stated, gotta maintain them. Take care of it.

You put some work into one, it'll eat your bike you have now for all 3 main meals of the day and then some. They have alot of potential with just pipes alone.

hypersnyper6947
07-12-2008, 02:50 AM
thanks guys

everyone is saying you have to maintain them what is the maintance that they require?

How do you guys keep your banshees running strong?

Hondamaster5505
07-12-2008, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
thanks guys

everyone is saying you have to maintain them what is the maintance that they require?

Using mobil 1 synthetic two-stroke oil. Or klotz. Keeps the motor well lubricated and clean. Clean your air-filter a lot. Always make sure your radiator is full of coolant. Fresh gear oil every now and then.

Dinner
07-18-2008, 11:38 PM
Change oil every so often. I used to change mine every other weekend, but I don't hard as much anymore so it's about once a month.

Keep your chain lubed and adjusted, this also helps with sprocket wear.

Grease your fittings every so often. I usually grease mine every 2 weeks.

Keep your jetting good, have a good fuel-oil mixture, and as HondaMaster said, keep the air filters clean. Basically just like any other quad...

Hondamaster5505
07-19-2008, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Dinner
Change oil every so often. I used to change mine every other weekend, but I don't hard as much anymore so it's about once a month.

Keep your chain lubed and adjusted, this also helps with sprocket wear.

Grease your fittings every so often. I usually grease mine every 2 weeks.

Keep your jetting good, have a good fuel-oil mixture, and as HondaMaster said, keep the air filters clean. Basically just like any other quad...

where the hell were you? lol. Was wondering when you were gonna chip in

Dinner
07-19-2008, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
where the hell were you? lol. Was wondering when you were gonna chip in

I've been busy with work and getting stuff ready for my truck. Most of my days are spent sleeping, go to work, come home and sleep some more,lol.

loboboy
07-30-2008, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
thanks guys

Not sure what they are talking about. I literally ride mine, clean the filters and take it back out the next weekend. Once you get them tuned right (this is the key) then the maintenance is no different than your 400EX. I change my main jet for the winter to the summer and that is it. I have run the same clutch in my bike for the last 3 years and change the tranny oil every 3rd time out. Once a year I go thru the whole chassis and make sure things are still lubed good and no cracks and such but whether it is an aftermarket chassis as mine or a stock 400ex you should do all of this anyway so to say Banshee's take more maintenance is not true all ATV's should get the same amount of attention to be safe.

WesDS450X
07-30-2008, 10:13 PM
my dads got an 89 banshee on oringal motor with probly over 10,000 hours on it, we go ride everyweekend at the oregon dunes, and it runs like a champ! just be anal about ur maitance and it will run forever +right fuel/oil mixture

hypersnyper6947
07-30-2008, 11:52 PM
Nice guys thanks for all the input, i had a blaster that i loved when i was younger, that two stroke powerband is hard to duplicate. Well i have been looking for one. If i find the right deal i will def pick one up or trade mine for one.

TeamRealtreeHD
07-31-2008, 01:38 AM
Carbs get dirtier on 2 strokes, top ends go 5 times faster, etc. You would be surprised what a banshee has if it is kept clean on the insude like the outside. 99% of people run their banshees until it goes. What these people don't know is the power that it is lacking due to lower compression than normal. Alot of other people don't know that humidity, temperature and obviously elevation/compression have alot to do with jets. To get her running awesome, not just good, make sure it is jetted good for that area/elevation/temp/etc.

THIS IS WHERE IT GETS THE BAD NAME. You can just mix gas and go, but to have it running top notch ALL THE TIME, you have to be on top of your game.

The guys who just put thr mixed gas in and go for 5 years straight are the ones who lose the races but say they win them all.

A fine running 'shee is the king of the hill. Not one that has dirty carbs, dirty filters, slipping clutch and jets and needles off by one size. The list goes on.

Yes, the bike will run, most likely good... but not to it's max potential. And until you hop on one that is finely tuned, you will never know what I am talking about.

Buy a compression tester, keep an eye on it, and when it gets below the limit on a stock stroke motor, rebuild the top end when it needs it, change the tranny oil OFTEN, keep the filters clean, mix your gas right everytime, etc.

This is a quad for a guy who likes to "tinker" with them. Get them running AWESOME, not just "good" or "alright".

Or buy a four stroke and just put gas in them and go. But you will be missing the best accelerating quad ever made by the hands of man.

07-31-2008, 12:10 PM
the las t thing you should do is give up a honda for a yamaha. i mean why give up a good reliable honda that runs great for a banshee? thats dumb imo:huh

TeamRealtreeHD
07-31-2008, 02:53 PM
You want to go fast or do you want to flat out haul *** and leave everyone in the dust... his call

hypersnyper6947
08-05-2008, 01:10 AM
So far this honda i have has been nothing but a pain in the ***** so im kinda getting fed up with it, thats why i have been looking into other options. Banshees were always the coolest when i was growing up. I have also been looking for any 450 decently priced, or a raptor 660 or 700. I know my 440ex is sick but i have had to put a lot of money into b/c of the previous owner, and now i need to get rid of my lectron carb and get a 450 carb, i also need new front tires. I then want to put it on the dyno to get it professionally jetted perfectly. All this is going to take some cash.

Supercup
08-05-2008, 11:19 PM
I have an 03 Banshee and it has been a great bike. Starts on the 1st or 2nd kick every time. I would recommend you stay away from heavily modified bikes, unless you can verify with receipts that it was done right.

Look for one with good suspension upgrades, pipes (Toomey Or CNC), and maybe a little head work. The build it up from there. Most likely you will pay in the $3,000 range for something nice.

If you want a Banshee built right for a reasonable price (a lot of money, but 1/3 of what was spent on it) go to:

www.duncanracing.com

The go to the classified section and see my add (sorry for the shameless plug).

JCM

hypersnyper6947
08-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Plug away dude no worries, its a nice bike but i cant afford the 10k. I finally go my ex running tonight so i think im going to stick with it for now, but a banshee will always be in my thoughts, maybe one day i can have both.

Supercup
08-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Glad to hear your bike is running again. The only bike you need it the one you currently have to ride. As long as you are riding you are having more fun that all those that don't!

JCM

Supercup
08-08-2008, 12:02 PM
JCM

hypersnyper6947
08-15-2008, 03:13 AM
Nice banshee, nice truck too. I have a 06' super duty on 37's and 20s its pretty sick.

Supercup
08-18-2008, 10:50 PM
Thanks,

My SD is a 2005, Donahue Racing 4" suspension, Deaver custom rear springs, stereo, DVD for the kids, Banks system (6 gun, exhaust, intake, intercooler etc.) ARP head studs, 35" tires on 18" Weld Evo wheels, bed liner etc.. All the basic stuff you need!

The Banshee is fun too - way to many parts to list on that thing! Mostly stuff for go and limited bling.

JCM

08-24-2008, 09:03 PM
I totally agree with realtree on the "tinkering theory".... I ride a rappy 660 and my buddy has a 90 zilla.... He always has his carb out or is pressure testing it... Changing jetting, mixing gas, and "tinkering" non- stop !!! BUT, that quad is one bad mother when its running PERFECT!!! There is nothing like a two stroke motor at peak performance... the acceleration is indescribable unless uve ridden one.... Im goin the two stroke route next season... Found a 01 Shee with elkas all aroung L/S swingarm, L/S axle, Ext. arms (notsure of the brand), Maier plastics, antivibe stem w/ tag bars, tommey pipes, all factory parts included and more.... Clutch is smoked but it seems to be runnin good..... $1,500 finders keepers!!! for that price ill keep the rappy as back-up!!!