PDA

View Full Version : NEWB Question about Tie Rod Length

jrsmith_80
07-10-2008, 06:14 PM
On a 99 400ex are the left and right(sitting on the machine) tie rods the same length? I just received some new ones and it sure seems like one side is longer than the other no that I have them on the bike. If one is longer than the other what side does the longer one go on?

justin1022
07-10-2008, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by jrsmith_80
On a 99 400ex are the left and right(sitting on the machine) tie rods the same length? I just received some new ones and it sure seems like one side is longer than the other no that I have them on the bike. If one is longer than the other what side does the longer one go on?

if one was longer then the other your front wheelies wouldnt point streight when the handle bars are streight....

jrsmith_80
07-11-2008, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by justin1022
if one was longer then the other your front wheelies wouldnt point streight when the handle bars are streight....

Gotcha, it just looked strange once I installed the new rods and ends.

Scro
07-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Did you set adjust the toe in/out when you put them on? It doesn't really matter about the length of the tie rod as long as you are able to adjust enough to set your toe.

Scro
07-11-2008, 09:18 AM
FYI To set the toe...

Most people run 1/4" toe in on each side. You will need to do this when you are sitting on the quad in full gear. You will need somebody to take the measurements.

Measure the distance between the centerline of one of the tires at the rear of the tire and the centerline of the frame. Record this number. Now measure the distance between the centerline of the tire at the front of the tire and the centerline of the frame. Record this number. The number recorded for the rear of the tire should be 1/2" greater than the number recorded from the front of the tire. You adjust by turning the tierod one way or the other. This will give you 1/4" toe in.

Do this for the other side, and make sure the numbers match the first side.

jrsmith_80
07-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Scro
FYI To set the toe...

Most people run 1/4" toe in on each side. You will need to do this when you are sitting on the quad in full gear. You will need somebody to take the measurements.

Measure the distance between the centerline of one of the tires at the rear of the tire and the centerline of the frame. Record this number. Now measure the distance between the centerline of the tire at the front of the tire and the centerline of the frame. Record this number. The number recorded for the rear of the tire should be 1/2" greater than the number recorded from the front of the tire. You adjust by turning the tierod one way or the other. This will give you 1/4" toe in.

Do this for the other side, and make sure the numbers match the first side.

Thanks for the advice I have been going about the adjustments all wrong so I will give it another try later this evening. Thanks Again