PDA

View Full Version : 700r in stock form?

buttfungus
07-10-2008, 09:21 AM
How do these things run without any mods? Thinking about making the switch from my yfz450.

Steve

ccdhowell
07-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Why switch?

I have a stock engined Raptor 700 that I race XC with and do pretty well. Most 450s will out run a stock Raptor when they get wound up, riders being equal. The Raptor has a more forgiving powerplant, meaning more torque to bail you out of bad things on the trail and power you up the steepest of hills. If you are a bigger/taller guy, like me, the Raptor is a great choice because it is physically larger and I don't really notice the extra weight of the quad over a 450. I'm a big guy and probobly should race a utility quad but can't bring myself to do it.

Hope this helps.

buttfungus
07-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by ccdhowell
Why switch?

I have a stock engined Raptor 700 that I race XC with and do pretty well. Most 450s will out run a stock Raptor when they get wound up, riders being equal. The Raptor has a more forgiving powerplant, meaning more torque to bail you out of bad things on the trail and power you up the steepest of hills. If you are a bigger/taller guy, like me, the Raptor is a great choice because it is physically larger and I don't really notice the extra weight of the quad over a 450. I'm a big guy and probobly should race a utility quad but can't bring myself to do it.

Hope this helps.

I too am a big guy, I like the yfz450 for it's agility and the way it revs. I'm getting older now and need to take a little easier. thanks for the info!

Steve

Flatheadyoungin
07-15-2008, 02:53 PM
i'm not that big .....6' 225lbs but i feel cramped on a yfz....

for an all around bike; drag racing, hard trails with all types of terrain, low maint., etc......you won't beat the raptor...

cannondale27
07-26-2008, 06:12 PM
My 06 Raptor is barely working the motor trail riding.I feel the motor should last forever since it really likes to lug.Compared to my previous 06YFZ the Raptor feels alot heavier and handling is not even close to the YFZ.But for 1st and second gear tighter trails I do like the Raptor.Any faster and I dont feel as in control as on YFZ.

Creech52
07-31-2008, 09:15 PM
The 700 is a great trail bike bone stock. Its got alot of low end, good suspension, and having fuel injection and reverse is good too. Its not really a speed demon stock but I hear they will really wake up with a pipe, filter, and fuel controller.

As fas as the above statement...you must ride some really really really tight trails to be in 1st and 2nd gear.

Krandall
08-07-2008, 09:40 AM
Exactly what Creech said...

once you get a pipe, intake, and fuel controller on that thing, it SERIOUSLY wakes up!:eek2:

WesDS450X
08-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Krandall
Exactly what Creech said...

once you get a pipe, intake, and fuel controller on that thing, it SERIOUSLY wakes up!:eek2:

every EFI atv out there will really wake up with pipe intake/filter and fuel controller or power cammander

buttfungus
08-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Well I won't get much of a chance to try mine stock! lol I put barkers, trinity intake and powercommander on my new 08!

lol:devil:

Krandall
08-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by WesDS450X
every EFI atv out there will really wake up with pipe intake/filter and fuel controller or power cammander

Thanks for letting me know.. :rolleyes:

I was just giving my first hand experience since I own one. that's all.:)

cjkranz
08-14-2008, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by buttfungus
Well I won't get much of a chance to try mine stock! lol I put barkers, trinity intake and powercommander on my new 08!

lol:devil:

Thats a great setup.. You should be very satisfied with it. Thats also the same setup I have. :)

buttfungus
08-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by cjkranz
Thats a great setup.. You should be very satisfied with it. Thats also the same setup I have. :)

I can't wait to take it to the sand!